Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

FrozenRobin

BCFC women poll

BCFC Women argument  

319 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I take a glancing interest purely because their name associates them with Bristol City, otherwise I couldn’t care less. 
It’s nice that women get the opportunity to play the game, but it’s got nothing to do with us really and I wouldn’t even class women’s football as “football”. It’s more of a separate sport in its own right, as far as I’m concerned. 

Try telling Steve Lansdown that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedM said:

I’ve no interest in women’s football either but I got to respond to you as you don’t see it as the same sport.

They play 90 mins, the rules are the same, same number of people in the team, the pitch size is the same etc, etc. It certainly is football and not a totally different game, sorry but you are wrong.

You might as well say women’s tennis is a totally different sport as they play a few sets less, do women’s darts still have the throwing line closer to the board? There are probably tons of other examples but I believe when it comes to football men and women are equal when it comes to the actual game.

But they aren’t, are they. That’s why (Mens) Football is globally massive, huge money involved, large attendances & massive global TV coverage. 
The women’s game has none of these things, because it’s not equal. 
Men & Women can’t participate on the same pitch, there aren’t “mixed team” options. 
They play the same rules, of course, but it’s an utterly and entirely separate entity. 

3 hours ago, Super said:

So if its not Football what is it exactly?

It’s “WOMENS FOOTBALL” 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Try telling Steve Lansdown that.

It’s great that SL is supporting & backing the women’s team. 
It just bares no relation at all the the men’s team. 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

But they aren’t, are they. That’s why (Mens) Football is globally massive, huge money involved, large attendances & massive global TV coverage. 
The women’s game has none of these things, because it’s not equal. 
Men & Women can’t participate on the same pitch, there aren’t “mixed team” options. 
They play the same rules, of course, but it’s an utterly and entirely separate entity. 

It’s “WOMENS FOOTBALL” 

And this forum is called football chat isn't it?

19 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It’s great that SL is supporting & backing the women’s team. 
It just bares no relation at all the the men’s team. 

....but there are so many similarities

I’m not that interested in women’s football. Probably because of my age. Women didn’t do football . A few supported it. None played. 

A few of my friends have daughters who play and they’re all keen. I understand that. 

My head tells me that the fairer sex are as entitled to play the game as fellas, but my passion hasn’t been aroused . That American girl back in the summer set it back years to my mind .

However if City Women are under the football section of the forum, then following that shocking defeat , it seems a harsh time to kick them somewhere else. They now need a bit of support. I’ll try a bit harder . 

41 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Can not stand seeing them on bcfc.co.uk

Get your own website and once in a blue moon drop a womens story on our page its fine.might aswell start doing under 15s academy news on bcfc. Co. Uk because thats about the same level of womens football quality.

Why have i never seen an under 10s  article on bcfc website then?

Under 14's would absolutely destroy our womens team 

8 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Under 14's would absolutely destroy our womens team 

So? What does it actually matter?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, phantom said:

But how far do we divide the site? 

U23s 

Premier 

Championship 

European 

To me it's simpler as it is

What I don't understand is the number of people who moan about womens football on a thread. It's simple if you don't have any interest don't read the thread and especially don't bother replying 

I wouldn't vote for any of the options, they certainly are not equal to the mens team but as its clearly a football forum it has a place 

Women’s football doesn’t bother me just a suggestion to have it all in one place rather than cluttered about

Edited by Daniel James
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It doesn't.

That's like saying all non-heavyweight boxers are rubbish because the heavyweight boxers would always beat them.

That's why you have weight categories.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It doesn't.

That's like saying all non-heavyweight boxers are rubbish because the heavyweight boxers would always beat them.

That's why you have weight categories.

It really irrationally gets on my tits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It really irrationally gets on my tits.

I watched several women's World Cup games and enjoyed them.

Women's football does work as a spectator sport and that an U16 men's team, or whatever, could beat them has no bearing at all upon that.

• Like 1

I'm still trying to work out if Eddie dislikes womens football or just women. There seems to be a lot of sexism in this thread.

19 hours ago, !james said:

Because it's such a hard ship to not click on the occasional thread about women's football? This forum is called 'All Things Football'... 

Can we have a separate forum for the Rovers thread too then please?  

Exactly, I don't know what the big deal is.

I don't read every thread about the mens team, up to you whether you click on anything or not

• Like 1

Got to support them, defiantly follow them and their progress. they just need an injection of cash, probably no more then the fee of one of our better players, would allow them to get into the top half of the table.

16 minutes ago, BoneyardTIM said:

I'm still trying to work out if Eddie dislikes womens football or just women. There seems to be a lot of sexism in this thread.

Neither; try reading this and the other thread properly before dusting off your virtue signalling.

What I dislike is passing off and deliberately conflating two separate things.

"Bristol City" is universally recognised as referring to the men's first team so should be used in that manner; just as England refers to the men's first team.

25 minutes ago, BoneyardTIM said:

He is a seasoned campaigner on this matter it appears. Clearly something that keeps him up at night. 

25 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I watched several women's World Cup games and enjoyed them.

Women's football does work as a spectator sport and that an U16 men's team, or whatever, could beat them has no bearing at all upon that.

At the very top end 11.7m people watched England women vs USA women in this country. 12.8m watched the Rugby World Cup final. As a spectator sport its really not far off these kinds of events and it is growing.

7 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Got to support them, defiantly follow them and their progress. they just need an injection of cash, probably no more then the fee of one of our better players, would allow them to get into the top half of the table.

The thing is, Manchester United have only just set up a women's team last year because they didn't think it was financially viable. Most teams in the WSL are loss making massively, but premier league teams are seeing it only has one trajectory. This year they got sponsorship from Barclays I believe, and it'll only get bigger and bigger.

1 hour ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Get your own website and once in a blue moon drop a womens story on our page its fine.might aswell start doing under 15s academy news on bcfc. Co. Uk because thats about the same level of womens football quality.

You hate everything so your view on this doesn’t exactly mean much 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, !james said:

He is a seasoned campaigner on this matter it appears. Clearly something that keeps him up at night. 

A shame that it's never up for discussion to be changed 

20 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I wonder what the reaction would be if a crowd of us were watching the women's team and started a chant similar to Kasey Palmer's about Poppy Pattison?

Screenshot_20191203-172352_Gallery.jpg

Why would anyone want to shag her husband?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Super said:

And this forum is called football chat isn't it?

Yes, but the poll is asking our views on women’s football..?! 

4 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

....but there are so many similarities

You need to be very careful if you ever go to Thailand..!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Neither; try reading this and the other thread properly before dusting off your virtue signalling.

What I dislike is passing off and deliberately conflating two separate things.

"Bristol City" is universally recognised as referring to the men's first team so should be used in that manner; just as England refers to the men's first team.

To be fair this does piss me off.  Scroll the Football page on BBC sport, see "England beating Scotland 19-0", think Oh shit I've missed that there was a game on and then realise that of course it's that England.
I don't have anything against women playing but let's not try and mislead people into being interested.
I don't see why we'd need a subforum on here though.

Edited by Nibor
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Because of safe guarding issues publishing details of children at that age can be problematic. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

To be fair this does piss me off.  Scroll the Football page on BBC sport, see "England beating Scotland 19-0", think Oh shit I've missed that there was a game on and the realise that of course it's that England.
I don't have anything against women playing but let's not try and mislead people into being interested.

The BBC do seem to have embraced it and some, the reporting used to make it in no doubt they were reporting in a women’s game, now you have to have your wits about you to tell what gender of the game they are referring to.  It seems as if they are deliberately baiting sometimes, to wind people up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

The BBC do seem to have embraced it and some, the reporting used to make it in no doubt they were reporting in a women’s game, now you have to have your wits about you to tell what gender of the game they are referring to.  It seems as if they are deliberately baiting sometimes, to wind people up.

They aren't daft. They know that if the headline specifies that it's about the women's game then a lot will just scroll past and ignore it.

35 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You need to be very careful if you ever go to Thailand..!

Not a problem...... I'm banned

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

I have no interest in women football what so ever

Got no problems with posts about it being on here as this is a football forum

i just wont read any of them

What a good idea!  I believe some think they will break out in a rash if they don’t click on every thread every day

• Like 2

Not that bothered.

Would be nice to see the Bristol City name on a trophy and all that but I'm never gunna get upset if they get relegated either. 

5 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Why would anyone want to shag her husband?

He might be fit. 

11 hours ago, Nibor said:

To be fair this does piss me off.  Scroll the Football page on BBC sport, see "England beating Scotland 19-0", think Oh shit I've missed that there was a game on and then realise that of course it's that England.

I think the clue's in the title of the page it's on, where it says "Women's Football"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I think the clue's in the title of the page it's on, where it says "Women's Football"

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. On the football page, not womens football page, there are often titles of articles written deliberately in a mbiguous way e.g. referring to England not England women or Lionesses. You don't know until you click into the article that it's not about the national team that most people would think is being referred to.

• Like 4

I am indifferent to womens football but I do watch it on tv and take only a mild interest in Bristol City ladies. There it is Bristol City!! If we look at bcfc.co.uk there are numerous teams that are part of the club I am also only mildly interested in most of them and they clearly are part of the club.

I wonder if people would take the same attitude YOU ARE NOT BRISTOL CITY to the disabilities teams?

16 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

My response was to the poster who said that the womens team was of the same standard as City's under 15's . I don't think we have under 15's but happy to stand corrected on that, but I have absolutely no doubt that the womens team is nowhere near the standard of a mid aged boys team at the Academy.

On the BS ebsite the women are given equal billing to the mens football and rugby (and basketball) They do not merit such exposure.

It was very much like Team Bath back in the day, where elite athletes in men and womens sports were associated with the University and used their world class facilitues... as did the middling conference south football team who performed in front of two men and a dog.

22 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

My response was to the poster who said that the womens team was of the same standard as City's under 15's . I don't think we have under 15's but happy to stand corrected on that, but I have absolutely no doubt that the womens team is nowhere near the standard of a mid aged boys team at the Academy.

On the BS ebsite the women are given equal billing to the mens football and rugby (and basketball) They do not merit such exposure.

It was very much like Team Bath back in the day, where elite athletes in men and womens sports were associated with the University and used their world class facilitues... as did the middling conference south football team who performed in front of two men and a dog.

Bristol City do have an male academy U15's team.

Having a family member in the academy system at U14's I would state some of City's women compare favourably (I have watched the women play). There are exceptional outliers in the women's game who could compete in the mens game at lower levels. Technique is not limited by physical ability and that is where comparison is uneven. Females can and do very much hold their own v males in football given the same opportunity and experiences through development stages. Males post puberty have bio mechanical advantages the women cannot possess and at U15's kids are young men.  

In regards to team Bath where one of my acquaintances is the futsal coach teams are given equal billing because that is the point. They are developing and educating equally to the best of their ability. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nibor said:

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. On the football page, not womens football page, there are often titles of articles written deliberately in a mbiguous way e.g. referring to England not England women or Lionesses. You don't know until you click into the article that it's not about the national team that most people would think is being referred to.

I don't want to sound rude but all articles have a picture next to them 99% of the time it is very easy to figure out what the post relates to.

Even with a basic knowledge of football people would know if they saw a reference to a game they would realise whether it is for the men or the women

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Bristol City do have an male academy U15's team.

Having a family member in the academy system at U14's I would state some of City's women compare favourably (I have watched the women play). There are exceptional outliers in the women's game who could compete in the mens game at lower levels. Technique is not limited by physical ability and that is where comparison is uneven. Females can and do very much hold their own v males in football given the same opportunity and experiences through development stages. Males post puberty have bio mechanical advantages the women cannot possess and at U15's kids are young men.  

In regards to team Bath where one of my acquaintances is the futsal coach teams are given equal billing because that is the point. They are developing and educating equally to the best of their ability. 

Sorry I thought they went from U14's to U16's but we are talking here about Bristol City women not a global superstar.

Team Bath dropped the mens football team when they were told they could progress no further than Conference South so no equal billing there.

Seems like things will stay as they are. My view is that womens teams should sit on the community side of the club because they will in no way benefit the team which 99% of people watch or claim to follow, unlike the male academy where the club is getting better at bringing players through to the senior squad and arguably helping the academy pay its way for a number fo years when moved on.

2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Sorry I thought they went from U14's to U16's but we are talking here about Bristol City women not a global superstar.

Team Bath dropped the mens football team when they were told they could progress no further than Conference South so no equal billing there.

Seems like things will stay as they are. My view is that womens teams should sit on the community side of the club because they will in no way benefit the team which 99% of people watch or claim to follow, unlike the male academy where the club is getting better at bringing players through to the senior squad and arguably helping the academy pay its way for a number fo years when moved on.

I don't understand your first line. The academy has teams from U9 lower of Ian Rossiters North Somerset development is looked upon as part of its structure.   

Team Bath left the conference because they did not meet the criteria set out to remain a conference club. Team Bath still run male football teams and the intent is to feed players into Bath City - Southampton.

My view is that that Womens football is part of the club. A club that exists for the benefit of its community/fans to watch and to play for if good enough - Male and Female. That is what clubs essentially were. 

As other posters have pointed out. We choose to be interested, or indifferent but until BCFC/Mr Lansdown says otherwise womens football is part of the club. Personally I feel well done Mr Lansdown.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nibor said:

This is a very valid point and indeed my major gripe. 

I seem to recall there being some championship games on one day, the same day as the women’s FA Cup semi final or something. The main link on the beeb was the the women’s game and I had to search hard for the champ link.  It does seem like a concerted effort is being made to make people like it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

This is a very valid point and indeed my major gripe. 

I seem to recall there being some championship games on one day, the same day as the women’s FA Cup semi final or something. The main link on the beeb was the the women’s game and I had to search hard for the champ link.  It does seem like a concerted effort is being made to make people like it. 

In fairness it does need promoting and it's clearly working with some of the attendances at games these days.

Well one thing for sure, we are nearly onto the 100th post on the topic so clearly people DO have things to discuss about the womens game!

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Well one thing for sure, we are nearly onto the 100th post on the topic so clearly people DO have things to discuss about the womens game!

Nice bit of diplomacy!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

Technically this is a discussion about whether people want to discuss it...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Technically this is a discussion about whether people want to discuss it...

image.png

• Like 2