IGNORED

Picking a team that suits our strengths. LJ.

Prinny

Over the course of the season I've heard a lot of comments about LJ setting up tactically to counter the opposition rather than picking a team that suits our best players.

There seems to be a mood change after Saturday that finally, finally LJ listened to the fans and played 4-4-2. Reading comments on here, listening to OSIB.

But didn't we play 4-4-2 (ish) and have Eliasson as a winger with Hunt overlapping on the other side, precisely because Huddersfield had a bunch of injuries/lack of quality to their full backs? I.E. we did the same thing, but it coincided with what some people have been clamouring for.

Do you think it's a mindset change from LJ, or more a coincidence as to how we set up? I think the Fulham selection will be very interesting from the point of view of seeing if LJ has changed his thinking or not. If we see an unchanged lineup or if we change formation and personnel. (Obviously injuries permitting.)

18 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

We will go back to 5-3-2 against Fulham. 

Our away form can not really be criticised , so to be fair, what ever LJ saids , he has earnt the right. As to home form, the more aggressive line up used against Huddersfield gets my vote every day of the week

We've not won a game playing 352 all season...it's given our most draws.

We've never lost playing 442 or 3142

442 has been our most prolific.

Imo..LJ wants to play one way, but injuries have scuppered that.

He's played to fit what's available...and it's worked.

Leading up to the Huddersfield game, imo, LJ would never had played the team he did, if it wasn't for the results against West Brom and Forest and individual performances.

They pretty much picked themselves.

Imo...the team we played against Huddersfield is our most balanced right now.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Leading up to the Huddersfield game, imo, LJ would never had played the team he did, if it wasn't for the results against West Brom and Forest and individual performances.

Spot on, LJ is a dick if he goes back to 5-3-2, or tries to shoehorn COD or Wright back in the starting 11.

Vast majority of away games has been 3-5-2 and its resulted in us getting 16 points in 10 games which only four teams can better.

LJ would be fully justified in resorting back to that formation against Fulham imo.

We were wide open at times against Huddersfield and conceded two goals. To risk that at Fulham would result in a thrashing.

Fully expecting 3-5-2 saturday.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I cry fake news spud re formations ???

I think you are being a bit devious here Spud.  Whether it’s 532/5212/3412, it’s essentially 5 at the back or back 3 and wing-backs...as opposed to a back 4.  And We change formations.

I track the starting and predominant ending formation for every game.

95238264-435B-4459-A464-D4E260A85013.thumb.jpeg.3951d35362f252e0f873c3cfee6913bf.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I cry fake news spud re formations ???

I think you are being a bit devious here Spud.  Whether it’s 532/5212/3412, it’s essentially 5 at the back or back 3 and wing-backs...as opposed to a back 4.  And We change formations.

I track the starting and predominant ending formation for every game.

95238264-435B-4459-A464-D4E260A85013.thumb.jpeg.3951d35362f252e0f873c3cfee6913bf.jpeg

:laugh:...maybe...I watch with my eyes and also use whoscored...who track how we set up at start and they note every formation change during a game and at what time.

I find them to be the most reliable for game stats.

Forgot to add...they have people at every game who supply the stats. Which are used by betting companies...so very reliable.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

:laugh:...maybe...I watch with my eyes and also use whoscored...who track how we set up at start and they note every formation change during a game and at what time.

I find them to be the most reliable for game stats.

Forgot to add...they have people at every game who supply the stats. Which are used by betting companies...so very reliable.

In fairness Spud, I misread your post. Sorry, I thought you’d said we were unbeaten 442 or 4231....so my fault,  I thought you were insinuating we never lose with a back 4, and draw with a back 5.

The performance v Huddersfield was the most cohesive I’ve seen us in quite a while. 

Having Nagy and Massengo in midfield seemed to free up Brownhill, who had one of his great marauding games. Also Eliasson seemed to revel in being on the left rather than having to constantly cut it. 

1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Derby Away was 3-5-2 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Grrrrr...stop wasting my time...3412...Palmer, Weimann, Afobe. FFS ?

1 hour ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Not how I saw it personally 
Bentley. 
Hunt Moore Kalas Baker Rowe 

Massengo Brownhill 

Palmer 

Weimann Afobe. 

With the greatest of respect “ohhhshauntaylor” - doesn’t that line up suggest it was 3-4-1-2 ?

To be fair to LJ he has made big changes to some games and it's won us the game. If he makes the right changes then it's worth doing. Just hope he learns from that awful WBA game, where our players looked all over the place.

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

With the greatest of respect “ohhhshauntaylor” - doesn’t that line up suggest it was 3-4-1-2 ?

A lot of people would call that 352. Palmer was coming so deep as well so wasn't exactly just behind the 2 strikers.

26 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

A lot of people would call that 352. Palmer was coming so deep as well so wasn't exactly just behind the 2 strikers.

LJ often sets up with 3–5 - 2 as we saw against Huddersfield and it produced an attacking display which delighted every City fan. Very different from the drab and turgid displays we’ve been seeing at AG.

3 in midfield and two wing backs does provide width and an extra body which enables the likes of Brownhill to roam more freely..However the drawback is defensively. City conceded 2 against a modest team last match.......That said who cares if City concede 2 or 3 but score 3 or 4 themselves?         :dunno:

Archived