IGNORED

City v Blackburn would like some advice.

City oz

Just got back to the UK ( stockwood)  my dad passed away last week. I will be here for two weeks and although family is number one I can fit in the home match on Saturday the 14th. 

Looking at some advice on, can I just go down to the gate and purchase tickets at any time of the day over the next week or so. I also have my son flying over from OZ as well early next week and do you recommend Lansdown, Dolman areas etc as I have not been back for some time. Any advice would be appreciated along with a safe pub for a few drinks pre game.

Just left OZ 32 degrees and Bristol 4. Wow bloody cold but good to be back

You would like to think with the circumstances for You coming home the club might be able to bend the rules a little and sort you a couple of tickets 

or it’s always worth asking on here .. leading up to Christmas I’m sure there is someone who won’t be going and happy to help out 

for all the moaning that goes on here people always seem happy to help a fellow red out when things are not so great 

• Admin
36 minutes ago, City oz said:

Just got back to the UK ( stockwood)  my dad passed away last week. I will be here for two weeks and although family is number one I can fit in the home match on Saturday the 14th. 

Looking at some advice on, can I just go down to the gate and purchase tickets at any time of the day over the next week or so. I also have my son flying over from OZ as well early next week and do you recommend Lansdown, Dolman areas etc as I have not been back for some time. Any advice would be appreciated along with a safe pub for a few drinks pre game.

You can no longer buy tickets at the ground before a matchday 

You can only purchase online or on the phone or via the ticket office on the day of the game. 

I'm assuming you would be looking for the best seats with the best view. As above the Lansdown stand would be your best option. 

As for a safe pub, I'm not aware of any pub being unsafe around the ground. 

Reading the above I'm guessing that you haven't been to Ashton Gate for many years so I'd recommend spending extra time looking around the outside of the ground first. 

If you get tickets in the lower Lansdown the concourse underneath is now a big horseshoe shape and you can walk around the whole three home stands, there's also much to see underneath 

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Have a cider for your old man. RIP

39 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

The deal expired yesterday sadly. 

CityOz, for atmosphere get in the South Stand or Dolman E28 as that's closest to the singing section. For comfort and facilities choose the Lansdown.

Thank you 

20 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

If you want a proper pub go to the Coopers on Ashton Road. 

If you're into 'ales' you won't go far wrong with the Bristol Beer Factory (tap room) in North St, opposite Ashton Gate primary school, less than 10 minutes from the ground depending on how much you enjoy their beers!

https://www.bristolbeerfactory.co.uk/

Plenty of other bars and pubs along North St to choose from, shouldn't be any trouble whatsoever along there.

Don't forget to buy your Clarks pie from the van outside the ground to enjoy the whole Bristol gastro pub food experience on one day!

Just for your info no bars are open in the ground after the game. copy of relevant part of email below 

Please note that for the following fixture on December 14th against Blackburn Rovers, we will need to access the Heineken Lounge and Lansdown Restaurant no later than 5.15pm in order for us to turn the room around for a Christmas party and will have to kindly ask you to vacate the rooms by this time.

Unfortunately there will be no post game bar access anywhere in the stadium.

We apologise in advance for any inconvenience this may cause

2 hours ago, City oz said:

How old is your son..?

9 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Hi City Oz, sorry to hear about your dad, The Masonic is a great pre match pub.

Weepy is right. Masonic is also a good post match pub. We normally do the North Street pub crawl post match, BS3 start at, ending at Wetherspoons. You will need a good bladder!!!

2 hours ago, City oz said:

My condolences.  And it is bloody cold.  My parents are heading to other way tomorrow to live in Oz.  Already complaining about the heat.  They're not even there yet. 

Sorry for your loss mate. I experienced a similar situation when I lived in Queensland in February 2004 and my brother's wife died suddenly and had to come back at short notice to help with everything. I took in a couple of games and also experienced a 30c temperature differential. Three points to make:

1.) You'll get used to your native climate after 1or 2 Thatcher's

2.) Clarks pies are the same although there is now an up market steak version for an extra 30p

3.) Go to the Coopers as pointed out by others but they only take cash (not Aussie$)

COYR 

@City oz So sorry for your loss mate, condolences to you & your family.

4 degrees ain't bad for December, we haven’t really had any proper winter weather yet so I hope it doesn’t come while you’re here but because if that reason I’m about to jet off to New Zealand on Friday for 3 weeks.

As a last option with regards to drinking holes around the ground, there is always the fanzone & sportsbar to give you a chance to experience what the new Ashton Gate is like on matchday, food & drink outlets, live music & the Atyeo statue amongst other things.

Sorry to hear of your loss mate, must’ve been a tough journey home. 

Ive been in Oz for one year myself and missing Saturday football and proper cider so my choice of boozer would be the Orchard,, early doors. 

Sorry for your loss @City oz .

I remember when I took some mates to City game for first time a few years ago, we did a pre game pub crawl- Masonic down to Bar BS3 which IIRC is/was the closest, with pretty much all in between- Masonic good, Coopers and BS3 also to be recommended.

We were pondering going in Spanish Bar for a quick one but think there was some sort of restriction/limit on numbers at the time- dunno if is still the case!

Archived