IGNORED

Lions tour to South Africa 2021

phantom

Just now, Lrrr said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Daly's kicking distance was a big factor in him travelling, South African altitude he'll be able to kick penalties from his own half comfortably, flexible in the backline so if you need a penalty to win it opens up a huge range which will put pressure on SA not to concede penalties.

Great point. Remember that from the last tour.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Daly's kicking distance was a big factor in him travelling, South African altitude he'll be able to kick penalties from his own half comfortably, flexible in the backline so if you need a penalty to win it opens up a huge range which will put pressure on SA not to concede penalties.

That's a great point, however Daly isn't the best under the high ball. He will be a huge target for SA

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

That's a good point, especially without Halfpenny. Although Murray can kick goals from his own half too.

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

That's a great point, however Daly isn't the best under the high ball. He will be a huge target for SA

Williams cover at FB? Daly has played wing for England fairly often, could also cover centre perhaps? 

Sooo as someone whose said they don't watch too often anymore taking a stab at a starting XV atm.....

1. Vunipola 
  2. Owens (I'd probably pick George though)
  3.  Furlong
  4. AWJ
  5. Itoje
  6. Curry
  7. Tipuric
  8. Faletau
  9. Murray
  10. Farrell
  11. Williams
  12. Henshaw
  13. Harris (is it just me thinking we look light in the centres?)
  14. Watson
  15. Hogg

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Williams cover at FB? Daly has played wing for England fairly often, could also cover centre perhaps? 

Sooo as someone whose said they don't watch too often anymore taking a stab at a starting XV atm.....

1. Vunipola 
  2. Owens (I'd probably pick George though)
  3.  Furlong
  4. AWJ
  5. Itoje
  6. Curry
  7. Tipuric
  8. Faletau
  9. Murray
  10. Farrell
  11. Williams
  12. Henshaw
  13. Harris (is it just me thinking we look light in the centres?)
  14. Watson
  15. Hogg

No way would i pick Farrell. Surely you have to play Finn Russell - we are going to need a bit of his guile. 

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

No way would i pick Farrell. Surely you have to play Finn Russell - we are going to need a bit of his guile. 

I think its the most even position going into the camp, just got a feeling Farrell will edge it. The only other thing I thought was a nagging feeling about Russell 10, with Farrell and Henshaw in centre, but not sure what Henshaw would be like at 13 or whether you'd play Farrell 13, I said above it just feels like we're light at 13 so not sure if Gatland has got a trick up his sleeve for it.

18 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I think its the most even position going into the camp, just got a feeling Farrell will edge it. The only other thing I thought was a nagging feeling about Russell 10, with Farrell and Henshaw in centre, but not sure what Henshaw would be like at 13 or whether you'd play Farrell 13, I said above it just feels like we're light at 13 so not sure if Gatland has got a trick up his sleeve for it.

It seems odd to me not to have one of Davies, Tuilagi or Ringrose in the squad for outside centre. I agree it looks like a weakspot, in an otherwise strong squad. 

25 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Bundee Aki has been picked to be the heavyweight at 13.

I think Henshaw will start at 13. He's the best centre in the squad and it's his best position. If that is the plan you can see why he's taking Bundee as they are a good pairing. 

On another note, he's picked 6 locks and 6 back rows. I'd say that means that one of the locks will almost certainly start the first test at 6. That could be Beirne, Lawes or Henderson. On current form you'd probably take Beirne. If Beirne is involved I doubt we'll see Watson in the 23.

• Admin

The British and Irish Lions' schedule for this summer's tour of South Africa has been amended to reduce the risk of disruption caused by coronavirus.

The team will play eight matches in three cities rather than six.

Warren Gatland's side start in Johannesburg before playing in nearby Pretoria, while the first Test against the world champions is in Cape Town.

A Lions statement said all games were being organised "on the basis they will take place behind closed doors".

The 37-man squad will train and play in a coronavirus bubble with camps in Johannesburg and Cape Town.

The other two Tests will be at Soccer City in Johannesburg, with Ellis Park - site of the final Tests on the 2009 and 1997 Lions tours - hosting two warm-up games.

One opponent on the schedule has also been changed, with the tourists facing club side Emirates Lions rather than the SA invitational team as a result of the risks incurred by bringing players together from around the country.

The Lions added that a decision on crowd size for the Murrayfield warm-up Test against Japan on 26 June would be made "nearer the time of the event" because of uncertainty caused by the pandemic.

British and Irish Lions managing director Ben Calveley said: "While things will undoubtedly look different to a typical Lions Tour, together with SA Rugby we are determined to deliver an uninterrupted series for the players who will take the field, as well as the many millions of people watching at home."

All ticket holders for the original schedule will receive a full refund and the Lions added that South Africa residents who had tickets would get the first chance to secure a place "if restrictions on attendance at sports events were lifted".

SA Rugby chief executive Jurie Roux said: "We are hopeful that restrictions on attendance at sports events will be relaxed but, for the moment, we are planning for an event behind closed doors. If that requirement changes, then we'll assess the options available and make the necessary decisions based on the restrictions in place."

What is the new British and Irish Lions 2021 schedule?

26 June - Japan (Murrayfield, Edinburgh

3 July - Emirates Lions, 17:00 BST (Ellis Park, Johannesburg)

7 July - Cell C Sharks, 19:00 BST (Ellis Park, Johannesburg)

10 July - Vodacom Bulls, 18:00 BST (Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria)

14 July - South Africa 'A' Team, 19:00 BST (Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town)

17 July - DHL Stormers, 17:00 BST (Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town)

24 July - First Test v Springboks, 17:00 BST (Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town)

31 July - Second Test v Springboks, 17:00 BST (Soccer City, Johannesburg)

7 August - Third Test v Springboks, 17:00 BST (Soccer City, Johannesburg)

I've got tickets for the game and I've had an email through saying that the Japan friendly has been restricted to 25% capacity. 

Although I'm in a high priority group, I don't think I'll be lucky enough. We shall see. I'll know by next Friday. 

On 19/05/2021 at 14:03, The Batman said:

I've got tickets for the game and I've had an email through saying that the Japan friendly has been restricted to 25% capacity. 

Although I'm in a high priority group, I don't think I'll be lucky enough. We shall see. I'll know by next Friday. 

Got my email this morning

I was successful. Utterly glorious 

8 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Enjoy mate! I love Murrayfield.

Only been outside it. 

Was supposed to go watch foo fighters there back for my 30th but dave ghrol broke his leg and cancelled the European tour. Kept the American shows though, bastard. :laugh:

30 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Just can't get interested in the Lions this year, and I usually watch every tour single match. The covid situation and lack of crowds etc means I just can't get excited about this tour. Sad really as it's normally my sporting highlight of the year.

Same here. Could they not of put it back till next year?

• Admin

SOUTH AFRICA v THE BRITISH & IRISH LIONS

15. Stuart Hogg (Exeter Chiefs, Scotland) #783

14. Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, England) #816

13. Elliot Daly (Saracens, England) #822

12. Robbie Henshaw (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #824

11. Duhan van der Merwe (Worcester Warriors, Scotland) #841

10. Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints, Wales) #821

9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors, Scotland) #843

1. Wyn Jones (Scarlets, Wales) #842

2. Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, England) #851

3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster Rugby, Ireland) #818