IGNORED

Kasey Palmer, any good?

reddogkev

47 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

I don't think I highlighted flaws in his attitude. 

These days players see 'sports' psychologists regularly so we can both hope that all of our players have the right mindset. 

Tactical, technical, and fitness challenges, limitations, areas for improvement call them what you want are frequently driven by flaws in  attitude. You highlighted fitness and game understanding (holding onto it). Mental effort (attitude) drives both.

It sounds like psychological semantics but its great attitude first and foremost then hopefully the game all comes into place.

Yes, young(ish) and also more tellingly has only played around 4000 minutes of football at this level, in context around the same as josh brownhill played last season. Personally I think he’s better now as an impact sub but would definitely look to play him often and expect some inconsistency (with some output of goals /assists). 

"Hoddlesque" was how LJ described him in one post match interview and being a midfielder by trade that is high praise indeed and warranted.

He is highly talented in my opinion and that speed of thought in seeing a pass that early is truly a gift. I can think of two games that comes to mind where he has made such an impact [and I'm sure there are others] Brum away with that slide rule pass for Tommy Rowe's goal won us that point and that nonchalant instant cross for Josh Brownhill's Charlton winner won us the three points there.

As with COD he needs that coaching on ball retention to get to the required level of consistency but that will come and like COD he has skill in abundance. He is also a thoroughly likeable bloke.

One can only speculate where we would be now if we had both KP45 and Benik Afobe in the same side.

We are very lucky to have such a talent in our squad and I know there will always be some sort of debate with some on the whys and wherefores of so called "gifted" players but in my view its players like Kasey you want to see perform week in and week out.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

He was 22. 

So was I..................

Once upon a time, long, long ago  :(

I’m a KP fan and we were starting to see good contributions with Afobe in the side and quicker passes into him initially with Nagy, then Massengo.  but that hasn’t  continued and he’s been used less.

If we take Saturday’s line up, I think he could be a rotation option in RM (Brownhill) or the ACM/2ndST (Weimann) positions.  He might play those roles differently to the two in brackets.

Its a case of coming in and doing well to keep your place. Should be the same fit everyone. 

Still plenty to unlock with KP.

He's as good at rolling his marker and sliding a ball through as anyone I've seen for us. Needs an off the shoulder type runner in front of him or someone strong down the channels. Afobe was perfect for him.

He’s our best player by miles on his day. If that day were more often then he’d be starting for Chelsea. 

It’s not as if LJ’s football is conducive to free flowing attacking football (Huddersfield aside) so while things are as they are, he’ll probably struggle. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’m a KP fan and we were starting to see good contributions with Afobe in the side and quicker passes into him initially with Nagy, then Massengo.  but that hasn’t  continued and he’s been used less.

If we take Saturday’s line up, I think he could be a rotation option in RM (Brownhill) or the ACM/2ndST (Weimann) positions.  He might play those roles differently to the two in brackets.

Its a case of coming in and doing well to keep your place. Should be the same fit everyone. 

It’s probably quite hard for a player like KP to play well when others are not on your wavelength because you haven’t played very much with them. 

Interesting that LJ said today we need to strengthen in January in 2 positions. I would have thought 2 in one position.

So obviously one of those is a striker. We all guess Nketiah. He suits Palmer. But then surely we play 352 again as LJ loves Weimann.

And that makes me think the other would be a centre back. As my big criticism of that formation is that we don't have enough ball playing types.

Maybe we sell Wright and bring in someone like Guehi on loan from Chelsea who looks very much like the next Tomori.

We can then have more options to play in a 3, and not just do a basic job, but bring it out and attack teams.

I think LJ does want to go back to something like what we saw earlier in the season when we had Afobe fit, but maybe needs a couple of signings to get the best out of someone like Palmer.

We all can see what an in form Palmer can do. Which is mainly down to what the tactics are and who plays around him. We know him and Fam do not blend well for example.

4 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Like Niclas Eliasson, he's just crying out for a proper run of games. Lee Johnson clearly doesn't fully trust either of them, else they wouldn't be scapegoated every time we chuck in a bad 30/45/60-minute performance.

I thought he was unlucky to be taken off at West Bromwich Albion.

Spot on.

Appreciate all the responses, cheers all. I'm going to take fifteen minutes now to have a read through.  I think I've just expected more from him this season, but do appreciate that the injury to Afobe called time on a relationship that was going to continue to blossom for all of our benefits.

15 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Appreciate all the responses, cheers all. I'm going to take fifteen minutes now to have a read through.  I think I've just expected more from him this season, but do appreciate that the injury to Afobe called time on a relationship that was going to continue to blossom for all of our benefits.

Whilst I agree that Afobe and Palmer clicked (on and off the pitch), are we seriously saying that Palmer is such a niche player that he can only perform well with a very particular teammate alongside him? Doesn't make sense.

If Palmer has a good enough all round game, he should be able to display that in most (not all) games, irrespective of Afobe being in the team. I personally think he's slipped into some of the bad habits of last season and perhaps struggles with the tactical side of our play.

I do think with KP has to be used correctly, he seems to be better away from home where he can hit turns and find spaces to counter into. A prime example of this was the Derby away match where he was unplayable for parts and everything good we did went through him. 

Never looks as good at home where teams are happy to sit back into two banks of 4. 

47 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I do think with KP has to be used correctly, he seems to be better away from home where he can hit turns and find spaces to counter into. A prime example of this was the Derby away match where he was unplayable for parts and everything good we did went through him. 

Never looks as good at home where teams are happy to sit back into two banks of 4. 

If that's the case, he'll find himself being a bit part player, not a first team regular. Players like Eliasson and Palmer (Paterson too) have to make sure they're relevant in all types of games. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

That was all about Afobe's running etc that day 

See the comments previously

Young age, great eye for a pass, seemingly of good character in the dressing room, versatile and various other qualities besides. That alone makes him a valuable commodity, that there is clearly potential to improve yet further makes a mockery of the original question. 

I'm delighted that he's the kind of player the club are seeking to bring in, and if he doesn't fulfill the expectations that some of us have then so be it, it's not exactly like we've squandered a fortune. I'd far rather City are recruiting KP and the likes than spunking our cash on over-the-hill has-beens who don't give a hoot. He seems a great fit for the club and hopefully his talent can bloom yet further under LJ. 

1 minute ago, poland_exile said:

Young age, great eye for a pass, seemingly of good character in the dressing room, versatile and various other qualities besides. That alone makes him a valuable commodity, that there is clearly potential to improve yet further makes a mockery of the original question. 

I'm delighted that he's the kind of player the club are seeking to bring in, and if he doesn't fulfill the expectations that some of us have then so be it, it's not exactly like we've squandered a fortune. I'd far rather City are recruiting KP and the likes than spunking our cash on over-the-hill has-beens who don't give a hoot. He seems a great fit for the club and hopefully his talent can bloom yet further under LJ. 

How young though??

Put a player with the supposed movement of Nkethia or the pace of Assombolonga in the team and Kasey could have a field day. 

My biggest disappointment currently is that Kasey and Andi Weimann don't, at times, appear to be on the same page. Why Andi's movement doesn't give Kasey the opportunity for a 'killer' pass very often is a bit of a mystery to me TBH. They should be perfect for each other IMHO.

Just now, OneTeamInBristol said:

How young though??

I see the point, and in a world of teenage wunderkinds he is certainly older than the standard prodigy - but then again, no-one is marketing him as a prodigy. At the same time, he is clearly nowhere near his peak, quite possibly down to his lack of first team exposure previously. At that age (23 I think yes??) I think it's unfair of us to be benchmarking him against others and saying "but look at 18-year old Massengo" or see what Messi was doing at that age. 

What isn't in doubt is that he is at an age where he still needs mentoring and guidance, still needs to fully hone his skillset, and still needs to work on his craft. This club offers the perfect environment for him to develop. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but at 3.5 million he has not been anything remotely close to a gamble.

We need to remember that one year ago practically no-one had heard of him. Fast forward to now, that he has become comfortably established as a 'useful' player alone brings him credit. Would our squad be poorer without him? Yes. Is it stronger with him? Certainly. Fingers crossed that he crosses to the next level of competency, I for one would love him to do so and I'm excited at the prospect! Go on our Kase!! 

Archived