IGNORED

Things Wrong With Modern Football

One Team In Keynsham

18 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I'll start with this:

[and before people point out it is not Burnley's ground, I know it too]

I did that at West Brom when I wanted to see what caused the argument with Williams and their players. 

At least the fella is at Burnley away and not watching it at home like most of your Liverpool/United 'fans'

Goal music & cardboard clappers.

1. Sitting down.

2. VAR.

3. Goal music.

4. Entrance music.

5. Half and half scarves.

6. Ticket prices.

7. Lights on in the stand for night games.

8. Lunchtime kick offs.

9. Sanitising atmosphere.

10. Away allocations.

For all that there are also some truly great things about modern football as well. 

It’s easy to produce a list of things wrong with modern football but I wouldn’t want to go back to watching football in the 70s. Awful facilities, mud bath pitches, violence etc. Not to mention mullet hair styles

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It’s easy to produce a list of things wrong with modern football but I wouldn’t want to go back to watching football in the 70s. Awful facilities, mud bath pitches, violence etc. Not to mention mullet hair styles

Quite, as I have referred to above I could list ten things that are good about it too. 

1) All seater stadium that has ultimately dampened the atmosphere pretty much everywhere you go.

2) VaR - good idea but has become a bloody nightmare. 

3) Crap referring. It’s worse now since FIFA along with PGMOL have introduced unnecessary yellow cards for minor misdemeanours like a player taking his shirt off after scoring ......ffs..........:disapointed2se:and yet failing to clamp down on all the pushing and shoving at a set piece.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

3) Crap referring. It’s worse now since FIFA along with PGMOL have introduced unnecessary yellow cards for minor misdemeanours like a player taking his shirt off after scoring ......ffs..........:disapointed2se:and yet failing to clamp down on all the pushing and shoving at a set piece.

Have you been asleep for the past 15 years?

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

yellow cards for minor misdemeanours like a player taking his shirt off after scoring ......ffs..........:disapointed2se:and yet failing to clamp down on all the pushing and shoving at a set piece.

Same with 'management the world over..

Make a point of getting stuck into sorting minor or even irrelevant issues..

But the genuine,troublesome problems?? - nah,,**** that=hard work.

19 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Quite right.

Criticism of today’s game comes largely from those who look back with nostalgia at the old days but overlook  just how dismal the whole experience was. 

I never thought twice about standing in pools of piss at the urinal back then but would horrified if I was exposed to that these days. 

• Money.
  • Sky.
  • Weekend football not being played at 3:00pm or one late evening game I can accept. Who wants to go to a Severnside Derby at 12:00PM on a Sunday?!
  • The ridiculous salaries the player receive. Part envy maybe, but makes me cross to know how much even the city players get and yet 90% of this season I've been bored watching sideways unentertaining football from these players given godlike status.
  • Robbie Savage hosting football phone in programs.
  • Ticket prices - Where else in the world can you be charged £42 to watch a second tier game of football. MADNESS.
  • Bright coloured fancy boots. Some now even come with a sock style ankle protector?!?
  • Giving freekicks for the tiniest of touches
  • Praising a 'tactical foul'. I understand why, but this is cheating and shouldn't be encouraged. Sick of hearing pundits saying 'that was a clever foul to conceed there' 
  • Lack of interest beyond about 5 teams in UK - What number channel even is quest?!?
  • Boring keep ball "barcelona style possession football"
  • Hype around "Super Sunday" style top 6 clashes. These seem to become more dull the more they're hyped. Too many cagey park the bus 0-0, 1-0 games
  • Instagram stories at games
  • Pre match highlight reels (the same every week)
  • Leaving the game 10 minutes before half time to buy a pie or pint - Leaving 4.5 minutes early in the first half and second half (9 total) means missing 10% of the game and at £35 a ticket price probably equates to roughly the cost of your pie. Seems to me like you're basically double paying for that pie!!! 

I honestly think some of my most enjoyable memories as a city fan have been in the third tier. No sideways and backwards passing, a few more thrills and spills, cheaper tickets, pay on the day for away games, no great divide between players and fans. I'm also trying to visit the 92 league grounds and find that most enjoyment nowadays comes from visiting the lower league grounds where I can park 300m from the ground, no major traffic before and after the game, no plastic fans like at the premier league games, cheaper food and drink and often more entertaining games of football.

10 minutes ago, City18 said:
  • Money.
  • Sky.
  • Weekend football not being played at 3:00pm or one late evening game I can accept. Who wants to go to a Severnside Derby at 12:00PM on a Sunday?!
  • The ridiculous salaries the player receive. Part envy maybe, but makes me cross to know how much even the city players get and yet 90% of this season I've been bored watching sideways unentertaining football from these players given godlike status.
  • Ticket prices - Where else in the world can you be charged £42 to watch a second tier game of football. MADNESS.
  • Bright coloured fancy boots. Some now even come with a sock style ankle protector?!?
  • Praising a 'tactical foul'. I understand why, but this is cheating and shouldn't be encouraged. Sick of hearing pundits saying 'that was a clever foul to conceed there' 
  • Lack of interest beyond about 5 teams in UK - What number channel even is quest?!?
  • Hype around "Super Sunday" style top 6 clashes. These seem to become more dull the more they're hyped. Too many cagey park the bus 0-0, 1-0 games
  • Leaving the game 10 minutes before half time to buy a pie or pint - Leaving 4.5 minutes early in the first half and second half (9 total) means missing 10% of the game and at £35 a ticket price probably equates to roughly the cost of your pie. Seems to me like you're basically double paying for that pie!!! 

I honestly think some of my most enjoyable memories as a city fan have been in the third tier. No sideways and backwards passing, a few more thrills and spills, cheaper tickets, pay on the day for away games, no great divide between players and fans. I'm also trying to visit the 92 league grounds and find that most enjoyment nowadays comes from visiting the lower league grounds where I can park 300m from the ground, no major traffic before and after the game, no plastic fans like at the premier league games, cheaper food and drink and often more entertaining games of football.

Brilliant post ?. I don’t watch pro football anymore, everything about it has lost its appeal for me. 

I now spend my Saturday afternoons watching non league games, no tickets, no problem parking, stand where I want, honest footballers, thrills and spills, a beer when I want, friendly people etc etc.

A far more enjoyable experience. Top level football has been  taking over by tv, tv cameras and f’n var,  overpaid pampered players, sanitised crowds, parking problems, ticket prices, a new breed of fan wanting instant wins and success, football that is more than often designed to not lose, rather than win games. 

I’m out!!

1 hour ago, One Team said:

1. Sitting down.

2. VAR.

3. Goal music.

4. Entrance music.

5. Half and half scarves.

6. Ticket prices.

7. Lights on in the stand for night games.

8. Lunchtime kick offs.

9. Sanitising atmosphere.

10. Away allocations.

For all that there are also some truly great things about modern football as well. 

Concourses...FFS.

39 minutes ago, City18 said:
  • Money.
  • Sky.

Perhaps my favourite season was 83-84, in the Fourth Division.

Betting - the whole massive gambling culture of Football and all sports these days, with many clubs including our own promoting it further by using betting companies as shirt sponsors.

Every footballer being on social media, and then the media placing such strong emphasis on whatever any footballer has to say on social media.

Some Stewards at games, who have the demeanor of grim-faced armed guards, or airport security, or the police themselves, just chill out ffs.

Elaborate, ornate and ridiculous hairstyles of some players.

Those LED advertising boards. Advertising everywhere. Can't even have a post-match interview without a advertising board being put up in the background.

At least one thing we got rid of: cheerleaders. Cheerleaders in football, just no.

For me... VAR and the penalty rule. 

Both ruining the game imo.

I'd only allow VAR to be used to show whether a ball has crossed the goal line or not.

I'd also completely change the penalty rule.

I would only allow a penalty if it was deemed a certain goal opportunity. Or deemed a deliberate infringement. All other infringements inside the box given a direct free kick.

Too many games are won or decided by a penalty these days, which often comes about from infringements that would never have led to a goal scoring opportunity. The reward of a free shot at goal, for when a ball hits an arm unintentionally or contact is made going away from goal is far too much imo. It is also so inconsistent. A slight tap in open play and a penalty is given...yet it's full on wrestling at corners and nothing is ever given....mental.

I started in 1998 so I'm sort of in the middle between fading away of old and full on modern but anyway- game has undoubtedly lost things from various eras that were good- and bad things have come in:

• No at minimum Safe Standing and in fact if correctly managed with modern tech etc, Terrace areas behind goals!
  • No drinking in the stand- or in view of the pitch- 1985 that one came in?
  • Lunchtime kickoffs- 5.30pm is quite good, in addition to 3pm and there have always been midweek games, well I say always- but I'm sure they existed in the 1970s even?
  • Away allocations no longer what they were- price of travel plays a part but clubs can't be blamed for that, train fares a lot higher than what they were too.
  • Football Banning Orders/Club bans inappropriately applied- did you know for example, I saw online that for the heinous offence which is drinking in view of the pitch (yes I know, criminal offence etc technically), someone was banned for the season by West Ham!
  • Why are ticket prices but particularly POTD so high in the UK? Yes, they've inflated somewhat even since 1998 IMO.
  • Which leads me on to pricing out.
  • Excessive segregation at some grounds- notably ours now. Keeping too, far too, big a gap between noisier home and away fans- does little for atmosphere.

I'm sure there is more too!

A few of my gripes are...

1. The media over analysing every aspect of the game... fuelled by the incessant need to fill 24 hour sports channels.

2. Calling Saturdays "Game Day"... bloody Americanism which is not needed.

3. Players so-say 'winning' a penalty... you're awarded a penalty you don't win one.

4. Feigning injuries / falling over after the slightest touch... generally resulting in some commentators saying the player had the 'right to go over'.

5. Players lining-up before a game and then the whole shaking hands thing... kills pre-match atmosphere. Just run out, applaud your own fans and get on with the game!

Archived