IGNORED

Things Wrong With Modern Football

One Team In Keynsham

Using the word "Respect" or complaining about the referee making mistakes, all while cheating.... therefore showing no respect and trying to get the ref to make a mistake.

8 minutes ago, soultrader said:

Bristol Rovers

Keep it to football please. 

29 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

What exactly is wrong with the second picture? Just appears to be a couple of fans taking pictures of the stadium before the game kicks off? :dunno:

Yep, I do the same at every away game. Allows me to remember Where I’ve been. 

The one thing that gets on my nerves is people celebrating a goal with their phones out, never understood it

* The growing disconnect between what clubs want to look like and what the fans want, including how fans are regarded more as commodities as opposed to actual people.

* Outsourcing ticket sales and/or drastically amending ticketing procedures to get maximum sales as quickly as possible, bugger the consequences of people being alienated.

* VAR being shown to be perfectly workable in every country outside the UK and a complete travesty inside it due to varying blends of incompetence and ego.

* The toploading of financial benefits going towards the top clubs and periodic measures to get lower sides to sign away players for less and less money.

* 7-8 Managers being canned per season just for doing badly yet players can't be fired for anything except for committing crimes, and even then that depends on the crime and the player.

* The rules around offside are obviously written in pencil (see VAR)

* Bag searches depend wildly on the club and the staff, and mainly existing just to pad the concession numbers with a thin veneer of terrorist threat.

* Super Sunday doubleheaders with the commentary team starting 2 hours early in an empty stadium with nobody on the turf except the groundskeeper's dog 'fertilising' it.

* The zombified corpse of Soccer AM with Fenners stretching a 10 second joke over 10 minutes, bands that will be signing "Do you want chips with that" in a year and around 3.75 seconds of football talk outside of the top flight.

* No Soccer Saturday on international weekends where 48 teams have a full schedule.

- VAR

- Taking endless pictures at games

- Football tourists

- Half and Half Scarves

- Skyrocketing ticket prices

- Endless TV shows breaking down every single element of the game without making ONE sensible point

- Football twitter

- New kits every season

- Tat with the club badge printed on it going for 20 quid a go

- Club identities and cultures being diluted by health and safety, egomaniac owners, and rebuilt stadiums

- Hideous new-build bowl stadiums. It's a football ground not a ******* athletics stadium

- Phones out all game

- Social media posts about the fact you've been to a game. Nobody cares, its a desperate attempt to claim an identity.

- 12:00 Sunday kick offs

- Pre-match music

- Lack of places to stand, and standing being demonised. 

- Lack of local born players, and emphasis on money over loyalty to one club

- #MourinhoOut then #MourinhoIn

- Petulant children demanding instant success

- Sanitisation of the matchday experience and atmosphere

- Any contact being treated as a foul

- Americanisms

- Betting

- No alcohol drinking in view of the pitch

- Grown adults wearing a replica kit

With the original one, if you had access to highlights of a City game and something controversial happened how many would choose to have a quick look while a substitution or something was taking place? I probably would, if I didn't find it by the time the game restarted I'd go back to watching the game though.

1 hour ago, sephjnr said:

* 7-8 Managers being canned per season just for doing badly yet players can't be fired for anything except for committing crimes, and even then that depends on the crime and the players value to the club.

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Brilliant post ?. I don’t watch pro football anymore, everything about it has lost its appeal for me. 

I now spend my Saturday afternoons watching non league games, no tickets, no problem parking, stand where I want, honest footballers, thrills and spills, a beer when I want, friendly people etc etc.

A far more enjoyable experience. Top level football has been  taking over by tv, tv cameras and f’n var,  overpaid pampered players, sanitised crowds, parking problems, ticket prices, a new breed of fan wanting instant wins and success, football that is more than often designed to not lose, rather than win games. 

I’m out!!

I think I may be going the same way. Non league certainly has its merits, and while quality of players may be lower you're still getting an entertaining and evenly balanced match. Remember watching odd down many years ago and the goalkeeper conceded from a back pass from the half way line which rolled between his legs. 

Slightly different entertainment to professional league stuff but I remember moments like this more than anything I've seen this season down ashton gate - and for a fraction of the cost 

Money it’s changed the game

you have the fa selling rights to show games to the highest bidder 

you have football clubs being brought by people who don’t know what they’re doing and ruining clubs(glazers,hanks&gilllet,Simon Jordan,Owen oyston,Steve dale,Bolton chairman (mind blank), 

Then you have clubs being brought and just buying success

Stupid prices being spent in transfer windows nowadays by clubs

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

1) All seater stadium that has ultimately dampened the atmosphere pretty much everywhere you go.

2) VaR - good idea but has become a bloody nightmare. 

3) Crap referring. It’s worse now since FIFA along with PGMOL have introduced unnecessary yellow cards for minor misdemeanours like a player taking his shirt off after scoring ......ffs..........:disapointed2se:and yet failing to clamp down on all the pushing and shoving at a set piece.

Are you referring to the refereeing by any chance?

6 minutes ago, lost black rat said:

having some steward stopping me going to my seat  insisting I show him my ticket even  though I am in the ground . what is the point of it and if it is important why is he not thare  the following game

IF it's the singing section then they need to make sure it doesn't go overcapacity- could be linked to licensing or somesuch?

Things Wrong With Modern Football : middle and old aged blokes banging on about the football of their youth, oblivious to the probability that they are, instead, sad and grieving for their lost youth, for the days when they were 15/18/21, and everything was new and fresh and to be explored and experienced. And finding the young fellows of 15/18/21/25 around them in the crowd and out there on the pitch in 2019 difficult to warm to or understand.

It has ever been thus, at football. Mind you, that Downsey is a ****ing m***n and this whole Bristol Sport s**t gets on my ****ing ***s

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Money, then

In a way, yeah- suppose it boils down to that?

Another aspect of modern football.

Ron Greenwood was in charge of West Ham from 1961-1974. Became General Manager until 1977.

Our own Alan Dicks was in charge here between 1967 and 1980.

Revie at Leeds until 1974, began in 1961.

Clough at Nottingham Forest between 1975-1993- though he did have a few clubs of his own!

I'm sure if I look there are other examples- oh yeah, Busby- 1945-1969 and then returned for a season or half season or something in 1970-71.

Bill Nicholson, 1958-74 Tottenham.

Shankly, 1959-1974 at Liverpool.

Clubs didn't really sack managers all that much either though- as well as just money, going onto bigger and more lucrative jobs.

Archived