IGNORED

Osei Sankofa - story about racism at City

ZiderEyed

Went to a talk today by Osei Sankofa, currently education lead for Kick it Out, and ex-City player (8 games circa 2005).

He told a story about his experience of racism at Bristol City as a young lad moving to an entirely new City, and how the culture of the dressing room meant it was acceptable. He said that the kitman at the time would bring a load of fruit, sweets, and energy drinks with him and would leave them in the dressing room for the players to get at before the game. All the banter in the dressing room at the time revolved around "a 6'3"-6'4" black guy" (Presumably either Bas Savage or Enoch Showunmi?), who would lead everything, give it out to everyone and literally nothing was off limits - private lives, personal identity, whatever. Apparently, at virtually every game senior pros would leave bunches of bananas for this black player and make casual 'monkey' jokes towards him.

Everybody in the dressing room would fall about laughing every time it happened, but according to Mr Sankofa, as a 20 year old lad moving away from home for the first time it really shook him up that everyone could think something like that was acceptable. He said he's known players see similar and it really damaged them. 

Just thought it was interesting. 

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

(Presumably either Bas Savage or Enoch Showunmi?),

A quick search that Osei and Bas were in the same squad, but not Enoch - https://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/players/season/2006/

edit: Mark McCammon was here then as well, I believe he sued the Gills after we left (do I have this right?)

Just now, sephjnr said:

A quick search that Osei and Bas were in the same squad, but not Enoch - https://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/players/season/2006/

He was at City on a short term loan at the start of the 2005/2006 season I believe - https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/bristol-city/2006/2/

Just now, Riaz said:

So there was a black player who encouraged the banter which was often racial??

I see no problem with this. I have this sort of banter with my mates.

This. 

My first thought regarding the player in question was Clayton Fortune.  

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

So there was a black player who encouraged the banter which was often racial??

I see no problem with this. I have this sort of banter with my mates.

Was my initial thought honestly, but he mentioned speaking to another player on the cusp of the first team who felt extremely uncomfortable with it and felt he'd struggle to fit in if he didn't participate in it. Spoke about how damaging and difficult it used to be for black players fitting in with banter being often racially motivated when they refused to join in. 

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Was my initial thought honestly, but he mentioned speaking to another player on the cusp of the first team who felt extremely uncomfortable with it and felt he'd struggle to fit in if he didn't participate in it. Spoke about how damaging and difficult it used to be for black players fitting in with banter being often racially motivated when they refused to join in. 

I'd say thats his poor social skills. If none was directed at him, i personally dont see the problem.

This has been mentioned before, exactly the same story.

Not trying to discredit it at all, or make light of it, but the mentality 15 years ago was different to that of today. Today it wouldn't be tolerated under any circumstances, and players would be out of the door. The dressing room then, was also not great. You'd hope that if it was mentioned to the manager, or indeed higher, it would have been dealt with. Not saying that they were aware and never did anything, but you hope that it wouldn't have been ignored.

Fair play to the lad for doing his bit on trying to kick racism out of the game, it's not acceptable in any way of life.

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I'd say thats his poor social skills.

When is it acceptable to encourage racism? Look at the squad that year, even if the protagonist found it funny, it sure must've made the rest of the squad who were having to go about their job in such an environment pretty uncomfortable. 

All competitionsFA CupLDV Vans TrophyLeague CupLeague One

2005-06 season squad statistics

Sqd Player From Position A S G P Y R
34 Nathan Abbey (ENG) Goalkeeper 0 1 - -    
18 Calvin Andrew (ENG) Forward 1 2        
28 Adriano Basso (BRA) Goalkeeper 29 0 - -    
8 Michael Bridges (ENG) Forward 4 9 1   2  
9 Stephen Brooker (ENG) Forward 35 3 16   2  
20 Scott Brown (ENG) Midfielder 25 6 1   5  
6 Louis Carey (SCO) Defender 41 0 3   7 1
11 Dave Cotterill (WAL) Midfielder/Forward 39 8 7   2  
25 Liam Fontaine (ENG) Defender/Centre Back 10 1        
16 Clayton Fortune (ENG) Defender/Centre back 10 2     1  
19 Steven Gillespie (ENG) Forward 3 2 1   1  
18 Scott Golbourne (ENG) Defender/Midfielder 5 1 1   1  
25 Tony Grant (ENG) Midfielder 1 0        
26 Adam Green (ENG) Defender/Left back 1 1        
4 Matt Heywood (ENG) Defender/Centre back 22 3 2   2  
32 Marc Joseph (ATG) Defender 3 0        
24 Richard Keogh (IRL) Defender 4 5 1   2  
25 Guy Madjo (CMR) Forward 1 5 1      
19 Mark McCammon (ENG) Forward 8 3 4   3  
7 Scott Murray (SCO) Midfielder 34 6 11 1 2  
27 Jennison Myrie-Williams (ENG) Midfielder/Forward 0 1        
29 David Noble (ENG) Midfielder 23 1 1   1  
17 Bradley Orr (ENG) Defender/Midfielder 36 3 1   8  
5 David Partridge (WAL) Defender 13 0     4  
1 Steve Phillips (ENG) Goalkeeper 20 2 - -    
29 James Quinn (NIR) Midfielder/Forward 3 1 1   1  
12 Alex Russell (ENG) Midfielder 21 7 4 2 2  
26 Osei Sankofa (ENG) Defender 9 0       1
30 Bas Savage (ENG) Forward 15 8 1   2  
21 Cole Skuse (ENG) Midfielder 32 9 2 1 1 1
3 Grant Smith (SCO) Midfielder 5 7     1  
2 Jamie Smith (ENG) Defender/Midfielder 4 2     2  
10 Marcus Stewart (ENG) Forward 18 11 5 1 5  
14 Luke Wilkshire (AUS) Midfielder 22 16 5   2 1
15 Craig Woodman (ENG) Defender/Midfielder 37 1 1 1 6  
27 Kelly Youga (CTA) Defender 5 0     2  
23 Rob Burch (ENG) Goalkeeper     - -    
22 Ryan Harley (ENG) Defender/Midfielder            
35 Shaun Lamb (ENG) Defender            
23 Sam Pearce (WAL) Goalkeeper     - -    
  Brian Tinnion (ENG) Defender/Midfielder            
36 James S Wilson (WAL) Defender            
  Danny Wring (ENG) Midfielder      

38 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I'd say thats his poor social skills. If none was directed at him, i personally dont see the problem.

If you are black yourself then fair enough. I'm not and would never feel it was ok to suggest that it was someone else's problem for having poor social skills. Feeling uncomfortable with activity like this is not poor social skills. It's perfectly understandable.

36 minutes ago, Taz said:

Not trying to discredit it at all, or make light of it, but the mentality 15 years ago was different to that of today. Today it wouldn't be tolerated under any circumstances, and players would be out of the door. The dressing room then, was also not great. You'd hope that if it was mentioned to the manager, or indeed higher, it would have been dealt with. Not saying that they were aware and never did anything, but you hope that it wouldn't have been ignored.

Fair play to the lad for doing his bit on trying to kick racism out of the game, it's not acceptable in any way of life.

It hasn’t been tolerated since at least the eighties.

We are 2019 today , I know fifteen years passes quickly but ...

7 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

If you are black yourself then fair enough. I'm not and would never feel it was ok to suggest that it was someone else's problem for having poor social skills. Feeling uncomfortable with activity like this is not poor social skills. It's perfectly understandable.

I'm mixed. White and Asian.

I know racism. REAL racism is a problem, which should stick to fighting that.

52 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

When is it acceptable to encourage racism? Look at the squad that year, even if the protagonist found it funny, it sure must've made the rest of the squad who were having to go about their job in such an environment pretty uncomfortable. 

Christ there's some shite there.

And to think people complain about some of the players we have now...

I don't buy the logic of "if I'm comfortable with this, everyone else should be too" and I find it perfectly understandable that, if you are a young black player, you go away from home to a new environment and walk into a room full of people mocking someone the same colour as you about their skin colour, it's going to be uncomfortable and unwelcoming.

Even if the racism wasn't directly aimed at them, it still makes clear their new teammates are judging them based on their race. It sounds like a cliquey, horrific environment and I'm really glad that it does not sound like that is the atmosphere at the club anymore.

Think the problem is the same today independent of colour of skin. What you think is funny is very odd even to most other Europeans (**** boris johnson) and very exotic to non fluent English speaking people not to speak about dialects. Most people are totally lost with the English speaking their unofficial English.   

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

I am seriously worried about my memory these days. I have none when it comes to about 4 of these players and had completely forgotten that Marc Joseph played for us, although do remember as a player from that time.

Tony Grant, Adam Green, Jamie Smith and Rob Burch mean nothing to me at all.

Personally I’d hate to think I said or done anything to make someone feel uncomfortable whether banter or mickey taking. But people don’t half gone on mind. I think there’s  enough going on in the world at the moment to bring up stuff like this that happened 15 years ago. For all it’s problem, past  or present, this country is still one of the best in the world, that’s  why a lot of people wants to live here. Good job he wasn’t a player in Italy or somewhere like that, then I might want to read his story. 

23 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Tommy i can sense you are looking for a row today.

Tinnion took over in the 2004 season.

Futhermore, i suggest you cut out the racial abuse.

Talking about a game at Saltergate late 2004. Two nil down just before half time and Jamie Smith chopping an opponent player down at the half way line being red carded. Not very happy at the time.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

It hasn’t been tolerated since at least the eighties.

We are 2019 today , I know fifteen years passes quickly but ...

Well aware of that Major, and much like comparing 2004 to 1989, the mentality at this moment in time, was completely different to that of 15 years or so before that.

The point I was making, was that although "casual racism" (or indeed any sort of racism) has never been acceptable, in 2004 the mentality and way it would have been approached/looked at, would probably have been deemed as "not so bad" as it would be today. The fact that another black player was also in on it, some people (uneducated) would probably have thought that it "must have been ok".

As I said, I'm not, and have never condoned racism of any kind. However the way things are now compared to 15 years ago, this example would not have been tolerated under any circumstances, and that is only a good thing.

I remember when the story first surfaced a few years ago, a lot of people were really surprised by it, especially when you look back at the squad(s) around that time and see how many black players were involved with the club.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

I would like to think you're right, certainly at BCFC.

It is Mr Sankofa's paid job rather than doing his bit though, so very much in his career interests to continue digging up the past. Frankly, the casual racism that happened back then is no more relevant than the habitual drinking culture amongst players at the time, it is gone and its return will never be tolerated. The here and now is what matters which is why sanctions are in place whenever the line is crossed and the wholesale apparent racism that Mr Sankofa claims happened here simply won't occur.

24 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

It is Mr Sankofa's paid job rather than doing his bit though, so very much in his career interests to continue digging up the past. Frankly, the casual racism that happened back then is no more relevant than the habitual drinking culture amongst players at the time, it is gone and its return will never be tolerated. The here and now is what matters which is why sanctions are in place whenever the line is crossed and the wholesale apparent racism that Mr Sankofa claims happened here simply won't occur.

I would add he does that job part time - he's an A license coach first of all.

• Admin

3 hours ago, Riaz said:

I'm mixed. White and Asian.

I know racism. REAL racism is a problem, which should stick to fighting that.

@Riaz is the only person I know in this thread, to me he can be the only one who can really comment about how things can be negative in certain social circles and how it affects people. 

Many views on here are the usual people taking offence on behalf of someone else as usual. 

Don't get me wrong I absolutely don't condone this sort of behaviour but it also amazes me that this was his first experience of a situation like this? 

Banter around dressing rooms etc has always been over the line in regards to descency etc.

In this instance it sounds like this black City player played along with the "banter" thus making it seem acceptable. 

I do wonder though if the same story would be retold by others around at the time, or if there is exaggeration somewhere in the story due to what he was speaking about today and his role? 

2 hours ago, Taz said:

Well aware of that Major, and much like comparing 2004 to 1989, the mentality at this moment in time, was completely different to that of 15 years or so before that.

Not a reply as such to the above but it made me surprised/ angry that this was going on at the club and seemingly nobody outside the dressing room knew about it. In those days it was very easy to speak to a number of the squad on a personal level, compared to other stories that were told at the time I'm amazed this didn't leak out at the time

I just hope in 10/15 years time we don't hear about problems in this day and age,

Like you say attitudes to racism HAVE improved massively in that time so lets hope it's not happened around our club for a longtime. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Natchfever said:

100% in agreement with you @Natchfever

Archived