IGNORED

Things right about modern football

Henry

3 minutes ago, Henry said:

Just for a bit of balance to the other thread.

Food options at the ground are far better than they used to be. When I started going I had a choice between the molten lava pie and cupboard burgers. 

anything else?

The toilets! 
Used to be an open air brick wall with an over flowing gutter..! 

Oh and Rovers seem to be particularly shit at this modern day football lark..! 

Our fanbase is the highest it's been in a very long time, the way we are run off the pitch, infrastructure, youth producing, revenues teams all put together- it is the best it has been been since- well -anyone?

No racist chanting.

Despite liking the sound of some old school grounds or facilities, the toilets certainly sound a marked improvement for sure!

We have come a long way in the past six years and it is a pleasure to come to the stadium for both codes. Plenty of choice for food and refreshments.

While the rugby club are showing that they could soon be among the top clubs in the country, City are taking longer than many would like, to climb another step up the ladder of success.

I've no doubt that we will get there. It's just that for those of us who have been supporting for a lifetime, will it come soon enough for us to enjoy City at the higher end of the Premier?

So sooner the better Messrs Lansdown and Johnson.

43 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Our fanbase is the highest it's been in a very long time, the way we are run off the pitch, infrastructure, youth producing, revenues teams all put together- it is the best it has been been since- well -anyone?

No racist chanting.

Despite liking the sound of some old school grounds or facilities, the toilets certainly sound a marked improvement for sure!

Unfortunately recently we've had a return to rascist chanting at some grounds

16 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The pitches are far better now which enables better football to be played. Some people forget how much much mud there used to be for most of the season. 

Agree - but I think this also shows how good the players back in the ‘70s were - they played on mud baths - especially at The Baseball Ground etc - but they still managed to produce huge skill and exciting games - these days players would look at a surface like that and refuse to play, yet the over-paid show ponies of today still regularly demonstrate how they can’t control a ball and play a simple pass, even on a ‘snooker table’ surface of a pitch ...

2 hours ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Unfortunately recently we've had a return to rascist chanting at some grounds

Very much isolated minority though.

My understanding of football in a certain era is that in some grounds it was fairly common place,  sizeable minorities,  let alone bananas for example. 

My understanding is that things are much improved in that respect from past eras.

The quality of the football.

There's various reasons to go to the footie - to catch-up with mates, to support your team, to enjoy the buzz of the crowd and maybe just because it's a habit, it's what you do on a Saturday (or Sunday, or....)

But the main reason people go to the football, is to watch and enjoy the football! And it's better. Way, way better. 

Technically, tactically and athletically. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Far better facilities for disabled fans. 

When I say facilities, I mean any facilities at all. 

Still cold water and cold hand dryers though, but then, that's a bit too much too ask Mark Kelly to fix. He's useless. 

Seriously? 

2 hours ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

The quality of the football.

There's various reasons to go to the footie - to catch-up with mates, to support your team, to enjoy the buzz of the crowd and maybe just because it's a habit, it's what you do on a Saturday (or Sunday, or....)

But the main reason people go to the football, is to watch and enjoy the football! And it's better. Way, way better. 

Technically, tactically and athletically. 

Agree. I see old highlights of games from 20 plus years ago and it's amazing how awful it looks in comparison with today. 

14 hours ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Pre poured pints + more kiosks + drink options = not waiting 10 mins for a warm plastic bottle of Carling that you have to neck in 5 mins

Im sorry but there is nothing worse than a pre poured pint that has been hanging around for 15/20 mins and has gone flat!

The view of the pitch is much better now. I used to love standing in the EE (between the two central pillars) but the view was terrible. Even when we had a corner at that end it was impossible to see the player taking the corner and you just had to wait for the ball to swing over. Quite often when we scored it was difficult to see the ball go in and you only knew it was a goal because of the celebrations.  Exciting, but I don’t know if I’d like to go back to that. 

Racism has already been mentioned on this thread. Sadly it still rears its head even now, but nothing like on the scale I remember it as a child in the 80s when racist chanting, monkey noises etc were commonplace. Absolutely awful and I’m glad nowadays it isn’t like that. 

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Agree - but I think this also shows how good the players back in the ‘70s were - they played on mud baths - especially at The Baseball Ground etc - but they still managed to produce huge skill and exciting games - these days players would look at a surface like that and refuse to play, yet the over-paid show ponies of today still regularly demonstrate how they can’t control a ball and play a simple pass, even on a ‘snooker table’ surface of a pitch ...

Well the standard of the game is so much better now so I don't see how players can't control a ball or play a simple pass nowadays. And I've not heard of any players nowadays refusing to play on a muddy pitch either?

Archived