Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Henry

Things right about modern football

Just for a bit of balance to the other thread.

Food options at the ground are far better than they used to be. When I started going I had a choice between the molten lava pie and cupboard burgers. 

anything else?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Henry said:

Food options at the ground are far better than they used to be. When I started going I had a choice between the molten lava pie and cupboard burgers. 

anything else?

The toilets! 
Used to be an open air brick wall with an over flowing gutter..! 

Oh and Rovers seem to be particularly shit at this modern day football lark..! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Our fanbase is the highest it's been in a very long time, the way we are run off the pitch, infrastructure, youth producing, revenues teams all put together- it is the best it has been been since- well -anyone?

No racist chanting.

Despite liking the sound of some old school grounds or facilities, the toilets certainly sound a marked improvement for sure!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4

We have come a long way in the past six years and it is a pleasure to come to the stadium for both codes. Plenty of choice for food and refreshments.

While the rugby club are showing that they could soon be among the top clubs in the country, City are taking longer than many would like, to climb another step up the ladder of success.

I've no doubt that we will get there. It's just that for those of us who have been supporting for a lifetime, will it come soon enough for us to enjoy City at the higher end of the Premier?

So sooner the better Messrs Lansdown and Johnson.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Our fanbase is the highest it's been in a very long time, the way we are run off the pitch, infrastructure, youth producing, revenues teams all put together- it is the best it has been been since- well -anyone?

No racist chanting.

Despite liking the sound of some old school grounds or facilities, the toilets certainly sound a marked improvement for sure!

Unfortunately recently we've had a return to rascist chanting at some grounds

The pitches are far better now which enables better football to be played. Some people forget how much much mud there used to be for most of the season. 

• Like 2

Men not being as sexist about women watching football as they used to be when I first started going to football in the late 90’s. 

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The pitches are far better now which enables better football to be played. Some people forget how much much mud there used to be for most of the season. 

Agree - but I think this also shows how good the players back in the ‘70s were - they played on mud baths - especially at The Baseball Ground etc - but they still managed to produce huge skill and exciting games - these days players would look at a surface like that and refuse to play, yet the over-paid show ponies of today still regularly demonstrate how they can’t control a ball and play a simple pass, even on a ‘snooker table’ surface of a pitch ...

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 2

2 hours ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Unfortunately recently we've had a return to rascist chanting at some grounds

Very much isolated minority though.

My understanding of football in a certain era is that in some grounds it was fairly common place,  sizeable minorities,  let alone bananas for example. 

My understanding is that things are much improved in that respect from past eras.

• Like 2

The quality of the football.

There's various reasons to go to the footie - to catch-up with mates, to support your team, to enjoy the buzz of the crowd and maybe just because it's a habit, it's what you do on a Saturday (or Sunday, or....)

But the main reason people go to the football, is to watch and enjoy the football! And it's better. Way, way better. 

Technically, tactically and athletically. 

• Like 3

Far better facilities for disabled fans. 

When I say facilities, I mean any facilities at all. 

Still cold water and cold hand dryers though, but then, that's a bit too much too ask Mark Kelly to fix. He's useless. 

11 hours ago, Henry said:

anything else?

Luxury, we had to make do with a handful of hot gravel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Far better facilities for disabled fans. 

When I say facilities, I mean any facilities at all. 

Still cold water and cold hand dryers though, but then, that's a bit too much too ask Mark Kelly to fix. He's useless. 

Seriously? 

Technique is generally higher than ten years ago and more room for ‘ artistry ‘ .

I doubt Ronaldo or Messi would have survived as long in the game if they had started out before the eighties .

Pitches are much better.

Stadia are safer .

Is it more exciting ? 

I am not so sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

The quality of the football.

There's various reasons to go to the footie - to catch-up with mates, to support your team, to enjoy the buzz of the crowd and maybe just because it's a habit, it's what you do on a Saturday (or Sunday, or....)

But the main reason people go to the football, is to watch and enjoy the football! And it's better. Way, way better. 

Technically, tactically and athletically. 

Agree. I see old highlights of games from 20 plus years ago and it's amazing how awful it looks in comparison with today. 

As a kid going to games in the mid to late eighties and early nineties, I hated the environment. It was hostile, fights outside the ground, in the park. However the atmosphere inside the ground verged from awful with low attendance to superb and raised the hairs on the back of your neck. 

14 hours ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Pre poured pints + more kiosks + drink options = not waiting 10 mins for a warm plastic bottle of Carling that you have to neck in 5 mins

Im sorry but there is nothing worse than a pre poured pint that has been hanging around for 15/20 mins and has gone flat!

3 hours ago, RedSA said:

Seriously? 

Yep. Nipper doesn't use sink or dryer for most games in a season. When you're a wheelchair user it's a real problem staying warm at the best of times.

Has to make do with Hand Gel we bring along. 

The view of the pitch is much better now. I used to love standing in the EE (between the two central pillars) but the view was terrible. Even when we had a corner at that end it was impossible to see the player taking the corner and you just had to wait for the ball to swing over. Quite often when we scored it was difficult to see the ball go in and you only knew it was a goal because of the celebrations.  Exciting, but I don’t know if I’d like to go back to that. 

Racism has already been mentioned on this thread. Sadly it still rears its head even now, but nothing like on the scale I remember it as a child in the 80s when racist chanting, monkey noises etc were commonplace. Absolutely awful and I’m glad nowadays it isn’t like that. 

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Car park ? 

We dreamt of car parks when I were a lad.

You had dreams?

We were lucky to have nightmares.

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Agree - but I think this also shows how good the players back in the ‘70s were - they played on mud baths - especially at The Baseball Ground etc - but they still managed to produce huge skill and exciting games - these days players would look at a surface like that and refuse to play, yet the over-paid show ponies of today still regularly demonstrate how they can’t control a ball and play a simple pass, even on a ‘snooker table’ surface of a pitch ...

Well the standard of the game is so much better now so I don't see how players can't control a ball or play a simple pass nowadays. And I've not heard of any players nowadays refusing to play on a muddy pitch either?

Not having to queue for hours for cup tickets.
Not having to stand in 3 inches of piss in the 'toilets'

Not having the bloke stood next to you smoking a cigar.
Not seeing any highlights anywhere after the game

Not having your face forced against the railings
....and not having to wear a wrist scarf :)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Official streaming of games for both UK and overseas supporters.

Yeah, literally being able to watch or listen to the games wherever you are.

That's amazing.

3 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Yep. Nipper doesn't use sink or dryer for most games in a season. When you're a wheelchair user it's a real problem staying warm at the best of times.

Has to make do with Hand Gel we bring along. 

Jeezus, thats a bit shit. 

Vegetarian/vegan options instead of a greasy slab of "meat".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Well the standard of the game is so much better now so I don’t see how players can’t control a ball or play a simple pass nowadays. And I've not heard of any players nowadays refusing to play on a muddy pitch either?

Fair enough, you’ve never seen a modern player mis-control a football or mis-place a simple pass. And I didn’t say a modern player has refused to play on a muddy pitch, I said players these days would take one look at a pitch like the one at The Baseball Ground in the ‘70s and they’d refuse to play .... you don’t think they would? 

37 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, you’ve never seen a modern player mis-control a football or mis-place a simple pass. And I didn’t say a modern player has refused to play on a muddy pitch, I said players these days would take one look at a pitch like the one at The Baseball Ground in the ‘70s and they’d refuse to play .... you don’t think they would? 

No they would play the game or else they'd lose 3 points. Luckily now the pitches aren't as bad as they once were.

You said 'regularly demonstrate how they can’t control a ball and play a simple pass'

I can't think of what players you mean. The standard of football in this country is far better now than it was in the 70s.

38 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No they would play the game or else they'd lose 3 points. Luckily now the pitches aren't as bad as they once were.

You said 'regularly demonstrate how they can’t control a ball and play a simple pass'

I can't think of what players you mean. The standard of football in this country is far better now than it was in the 70s.

Fair enough - I appreciate your views. It’s difficult to compare players from such vastly different eras, I think many players back then in the ‘70s and ‘80s were better because they had much, much less protection from referees, they played on pretty appalling pitches, the kits were made of heavier material, the balls were a lot heavier (unlike the beach balls of today), they didn’t have dieticians and fitness coaches monitoring their food intakes and the fat content in their bodies etc etc etc - yet they still displayed astonishing skills and resilience in dreadful conditions with hatchet men trying to slice them in half - they earned about double what ‘normal’ people earned, they lived in semi detached houses and they drove Ford Capris - they were connected with the fans, far more loyal to their clubs and far more embedded in their communities - all this transferred itself onto the pitch where they tried their hearts out for their club. They were far more committed to their clubs and localities than players are today ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I can't think of what players you mean...

I’m assuming you’ve watched lots of ‘live’ games - but there are countless examples of modern players not being able to control a ball - do you really think they are all perfect and can’t fail to control a ball? Have you not watched Fammy? Not picking on him, there are loads of examples ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

Impossible to assess past football v present as it mainly just exists in our memories. I think today's is probably more skilled, but lacks the physicality of the old days. Whilst I'm a bit rose tinted about the old cloggers (Gow,  Harris, Smith etc), I doubt whether we would get by with  a 16 man squad if the the cloggers were the athletes of today.

Those ques for tickets around the back of the dolman when wembley or other tickets were being sold went on and on.

Bit like walking up the hartcliffe way drunk.

The longest i qued was 3 hours for the carlise game in the ldv final.

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Those ques for tickets around the back of the dolman when wembley or other tickets were being sold went on and on.

Liverpool - FA Cup 1994........The queue was there all morning.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough - I appreciate your views. It’s difficult to compare players from such vastly different eras, I think many players back then in the ‘70s and ‘80s were better because they had much, much less protection from referees, they played on pretty appalling pitches, the kits were made of heavier material, the balls were a lot heavier (unlike the beach balls of today), they didn’t have dieticians and fitness coaches monitoring their food intakes and the fat content in their bodies etc etc etc - yet they still displayed astonishing skills and resilience in dreadful conditions with hatchet men trying to slice them in half - they earned about double what ‘normal’ people earned, they lived in semi detached houses and they drove Ford Capris - they were connected with the fans, far more loyal to their clubs and far more embedded in their communities - all this transferred itself onto the pitch where they tried their hearts out for their club. They were far more committed to their clubs and localities than players are today ...

I'd say if they were offered huge amount of money to move they would not have been so loyal!

The quality of players were not even close to that of now imo. The game is so much faster now. The game has constantly evolved over the years. I even look at clips of the 90s and can't believe how slow the game was compared to now.

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m assuming you’ve watched lots of ‘live’ games - but there are countless examples of modern players not being able to control a ball - do you really think they are all perfect and can’t fail to control a ball? Have you not watched Fammy? Not picking on him, there are loads of examples ...

Of course players mis control the ball today. There will always be times a player mis controls it. Just like they did back in the 70s and 80s too. 

7 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Hated all that. Much of the time I was hundreds of miles away and getting cup tickets was a nightmare.