IGNORED

Things right about modern football

Henry

Not having to queue for hours for cup tickets.
Not having to stand in 3 inches of piss in the 'toilets'

Not having the bloke stood next to you smoking a cigar.
Not seeing any highlights anywhere after the game

Not having your face forced against the railings
....and not having to wear a wrist scarf :)

3 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Yep. Nipper doesn't use sink or dryer for most games in a season. When you're a wheelchair user it's a real problem staying warm at the best of times.

Has to make do with Hand Gel we bring along. 

Jeezus, thats a bit shit. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Well the standard of the game is so much better now so I don’t see how players can’t control a ball or play a simple pass nowadays. And I've not heard of any players nowadays refusing to play on a muddy pitch either?

Fair enough, you’ve never seen a modern player mis-control a football or mis-place a simple pass. And I didn’t say a modern player has refused to play on a muddy pitch, I said players these days would take one look at a pitch like the one at The Baseball Ground in the ‘70s and they’d refuse to play .... you don’t think they would? 

37 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, you’ve never seen a modern player mis-control a football or mis-place a simple pass. And I didn’t say a modern player has refused to play on a muddy pitch, I said players these days would take one look at a pitch like the one at The Baseball Ground in the ‘70s and they’d refuse to play .... you don’t think they would? 

No they would play the game or else they'd lose 3 points. Luckily now the pitches aren't as bad as they once were.

You said 'regularly demonstrate how they can’t control a ball and play a simple pass'

I can't think of what players you mean. The standard of football in this country is far better now than it was in the 70s.

38 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No they would play the game or else they'd lose 3 points. Luckily now the pitches aren't as bad as they once were.

You said 'regularly demonstrate how they can’t control a ball and play a simple pass'

I can't think of what players you mean. The standard of football in this country is far better now than it was in the 70s.

Fair enough - I appreciate your views. It’s difficult to compare players from such vastly different eras, I think many players back then in the ‘70s and ‘80s were better because they had much, much less protection from referees, they played on pretty appalling pitches, the kits were made of heavier material, the balls were a lot heavier (unlike the beach balls of today), they didn’t have dieticians and fitness coaches monitoring their food intakes and the fat content in their bodies etc etc etc - yet they still displayed astonishing skills and resilience in dreadful conditions with hatchet men trying to slice them in half - they earned about double what ‘normal’ people earned, they lived in semi detached houses and they drove Ford Capris - they were connected with the fans, far more loyal to their clubs and far more embedded in their communities - all this transferred itself onto the pitch where they tried their hearts out for their club. They were far more committed to their clubs and localities than players are today ...

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I can't think of what players you mean...

I’m assuming you’ve watched lots of ‘live’ games - but there are countless examples of modern players not being able to control a ball - do you really think they are all perfect and can’t fail to control a ball? Have you not watched Fammy? Not picking on him, there are loads of examples ...

Impossible to assess past football v present as it mainly just exists in our memories. I think today's is probably more skilled, but lacks the physicality of the old days. Whilst I'm a bit rose tinted about the old cloggers (Gow,  Harris, Smith etc), I doubt whether we would get by with  a 16 man squad if the the cloggers were the athletes of today.

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Those ques for tickets around the back of the dolman when wembley or other tickets were being sold went on and on.

Bit like walking up the hartcliffe way drunk.

The longest i qued was 3 hours for the carlise game in the ldv final.

Liverpool - FA Cup 1994........The queue was there all morning.

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough - I appreciate your views. It’s difficult to compare players from such vastly different eras, I think many players back then in the ‘70s and ‘80s were better because they had much, much less protection from referees, they played on pretty appalling pitches, the kits were made of heavier material, the balls were a lot heavier (unlike the beach balls of today), they didn’t have dieticians and fitness coaches monitoring their food intakes and the fat content in their bodies etc etc etc - yet they still displayed astonishing skills and resilience in dreadful conditions with hatchet men trying to slice them in half - they earned about double what ‘normal’ people earned, they lived in semi detached houses and they drove Ford Capris - they were connected with the fans, far more loyal to their clubs and far more embedded in their communities - all this transferred itself onto the pitch where they tried their hearts out for their club. They were far more committed to their clubs and localities than players are today ...

I'd say if they were offered huge amount of money to move they would not have been so loyal!

The quality of players were not even close to that of now imo. The game is so much faster now. The game has constantly evolved over the years. I even look at clips of the 90s and can't believe how slow the game was compared to now.

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m assuming you’ve watched lots of ‘live’ games - but there are countless examples of modern players not being able to control a ball - do you really think they are all perfect and can’t fail to control a ball? Have you not watched Fammy? Not picking on him, there are loads of examples ...

Of course players mis control the ball today. There will always be times a player mis controls it. Just like they did back in the 70s and 80s too. 

7 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Those ques for tickets around the back of the dolman when wembley or other tickets were being sold went on and on.

Bit like walking up the hartcliffe way drunk.

The longest i qued was 3 hours for the carlise game in the ldv final.

Hated all that. Much of the time I was hundreds of miles away and getting cup tickets was a nightmare. 

I loved the city in 1976 and I love the city now and I’m fairly sure that I will love them until my dying day.

I loved everything about going with my dad.I definitely loved going with my mates and now I love going with my boys- I also now sit almost where I used to stand in the children’s enclosure all those yrs ago.

Old football modern football as long at VAR doesn’t come to the championship!!

53 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

Not having to wade through a foot deep Nile of piss to reach the toilets at old Wembley. :chant6ez:

That'll  be the Lower  Nile of piss, fed by the Upper Nile of Piss, with it's headwaters flowing from the old Ashton Gate bogs.

On 04/12/2019 at 22:01, Dollymarie said:

Men not being as sexist about women watching football as they used to be when I first started going to football in the late 90’s. 

was going to say the exact same. I'm 21 so only started going about 15 or so years ago and the change is very noticeable. I always used to joke that stadiums were the only places where I didnt have to queue for the loo!! 

Archived