IGNORED

Washing machine repair

54-46

Hi

Do we have any tradespersons on here or could one be recommended?

My machine won’t take in water. I’ve checked the pump and there’s nothing blocking it and the drain function appears to be fine. However if I just try spin only nothing happens but the countdown timer goes down as normal

No error messages on the led display

Its prob a good 7/8 years old so am wondering if I did call someone out would they just suggest I get a new one anyway?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome

Thanks in advance

1 minute ago, Mr Roper said:

Wouldnt have a clue how much a repair guy costs these days but with machines starting at about 180 quid for basic model maybe with a oldish washer like yours maybe time to have a look for new .Just a thought 

Fair point. By the time I pay a call out charge then the part and labour it may well be worth biting the bullet

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

Highly likely they will suggest a new one. My washing machine packed up a couple of months ago (also about 7-8 years old) and the bloke was surprised it had lasted that long

Mine packed up the day we got back from a festival ,last Aug ,toally kanckered and with a mountain of clothes to wash ,bloody typical 

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Highly likely they will suggest a new one. My washing machine packed up a couple of months ago (also about 7-8 years old) and the bloke was surprised it had lasted that long

Had similar when dishwasher died, called a chap out and basically said white goods are near enough meant to be disposable these days

3 hours ago, 54-46 said:

Fair point. By the time I pay a call out charge then the part and labour it may well be worth biting the bullet

Dont do that ffs, never mind the cost of washing machine engineers, have you seen the price of dental treatment lately ?  ? 

You're probably better off using that bullet to shoot yerself!   ?

(PS.. Dont!)

How old is the unit?  I just saw 7-8 years old.  I reckon you are probably best off getting a new one.  I'm not a Washing Machine Engineer (A Plumber) and I believe once you get one thing replaced, it's not long before something else goes!  Parts and Labour can soon spiral.

Hope this helps.

31 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

How old is the unit?  I just saw 7-8 years old.  I reckon you are probably best off getting a new one.  I'm not a Washing Machine Engineer (A Plumber) and I believe once you get one thing replaced, it's not long before something else goes!  Parts and Labour can soon spiral.

Hope this helps.

That’s what I’m thinking mate

Treat myself as an early Xmas gift!

• Admin

I had the same issue a few weeks back Mrs M was bemoaning that the washing machine was not working, my suggestion of taking the laundry down to the stream and beating it in rocks wasn’t well received.  I had a look at the machine and there was nothing obvious, I have repaired others, nee drum bearings, motors etc. but this one was a control issue.

Decided it wasn’t worth getting someone out, so bought a new one, used ao for the first time, good price, great service from the delivery guys.

Archived