IGNORED

Got to love Korey Smith

Red Army 75

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Love the guy, give him a new contract City every team needs a clubman

There shouldn’t be any sentiment in football. When your time is up you’ve got to go. Good as he was, he’s the past not the future 

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

Let’s give a few games to prove he’s worth a new contract. Not writing him off yet . No way 

Precisely. I'm not sure any of us have a real idea of how "good" he is now, or how he'll fit into this squad or formation(s). He's made only a handful of appearances over the past two years so how can anyone feel qualified to judge? Fans can at least give the guy the grace of a run in the squad. 

The most shocking thing to me was "I had to sit on a sofa for 8 hours a day for 3 months with a machine moving my knee up and down".

When we think of injury lay-offs, we often think the footballing struggle of "being out of the action" and away from the grass....but the daily mental strain here is totally a different level most of us can't imagine.

Fair play Korey for battling through - twice. ?

2 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Korey Smith is great. Give him a new contract. Unlucky with injures. Who could we get to replace him for free, on similar wages? Nobody. 

Morell, Walsh? Probably earn less combined. Use them or lose them. Rather see what the younger players are like, feel we’ve seen the best of KS, even though a top pro, top bloke and good player. KS will get a well earned round of applause from me if he were to line up against us for whoever.

JB, HNM, Nagy, COD, KP and JM & LW is plenty of cover in the middle of the park. Got two decent right backs as well as BW, TM and ZV.

Korey has done well to get back. Let's remember he's been injured on the job. The next bit is the difficult bit (getting in the team), but he deserves the chance. If it doesn't work out, he'll still be a legend as a member of one of the great City sides

3 hours ago, Red Zeppelin said:

The most shocking thing to me was "I had to sit on a sofa for 8 hours a day for 3 months with a machine moving my knee up and down".

When we think of injury lay-offs, we often think the footballing struggle of "being out of the action" and away from the grass....but the daily mental strain here is totally a different level most of us can't imagine.

Fair play Korey for battling through - twice. ?

I had one of those machine when I did my ACL.  I was on it most of the day, even bedtime....but only for 5 days.  Mine needed a bit of oil / WD40, as it squeaked....was like Torture trying to sleep.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I had one of those machine when I did my ACL.  I was on it most of the day, even bedtime....but only for 5 days.  Mine needed a bit of oil / WD40, as it squeaked....was like Torture trying to sleep.

Your knee or the machine?

1 hour ago, miser said:

Korey has done well to get back. **Let's remember he's been injured on the job. The next bit is the difficult bit (getting in the team), but he deserves the chance. If it doesn't work out, he'll still be a legend as a member of one of the great City sides

**Dont go blaming his missus... ;) 

10 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

So according to some a couple of bad injuries - contact ones at that, so not injury prone yet now he’s suddenly not good enough for us? Absolutely laughable. 

Once fully fit he walks into our starting 11.

Over who? 

And how do you know he is going to be the same player despite playing only a handful of times over the past 2 season?

14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

We slag off the media team a lot on here - but this is exactly the sort of thing I want to see. No little jokes, no lame quizzes or attempts to "go viral". Just an honest behind the scenes look at something most fans (fortunately) will never go through.

More power to Korey as well.

Was going to say exactly the same - this is really good content and is clearly exactly the sort of thing fans actually want to see. I'd rather they focussed on this sort of thing all the time rather than the rest of the usually terrible things they put out. 

Really good video. I met Korey once, he's a really nice guy. 

9 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

So according to some a couple of bad injuries - contact ones at that, so not injury prone yet now he’s suddenly not good enough for us? Absolutely laughable. 

I am not saying that he’s not good enough. I love the guy to bits but I kind of feel that we’ve moved up a level and need to be planning for the future. In the same way that Flinty, Pack and Paterson have been overtaken.

What’s his value to the club in place of giving younger players their chance ?

He’s coming up to 29 years old what’s his sell on value going to be in 2 or 3 years ? That is surely a question that the bean counters at the club will be asking. It’s harsh but can we as a club afford to take a hit on an asset depreciating and equally to not be sure of his contribution to the team in the near future .

He’s probably worth 3/4 million at the moment when he’s proved his fitness. 

14 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Precisely. I'm not sure any of us have a real idea of how "good" he is now, or how he'll fit into this squad or formation(s). He's made only a handful of appearances over the past two years so how can anyone feel qualified to judge? Fans can at least give the guy the grace of a run in the squad. 

Spot on.......but remember this is otib...........:cool2:

We don’t see that many reasoned and sensible posts on here..

10 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

No guarantees tbh- and nor should there be.

Competition is good, healthy, drives standards- Brownhill will either start in a 3 as it stands or on the right as a wide midfielder like Saturday, leaves 2 places between Smith, Nagy and Massengo. Possibly Smith v Massengo for the final place and if the midfield perform as on Saturday, he might be waiting a bit.

Certainly no need to rush him back in ahead of time and risk another breakdown.

• Admin
15 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

We slag off the media team a lot on here - but this is exactly the sort of thing I want to see. No little jokes, no lame quizzes or attempts to "go viral". Just an honest behind the scenes look at something most fans (fortunately) will never go through.

More power to Korey as well.

100% agree @ExiledAjax the media team got this one spot on and deserve all the credit they get for this piece

But. . . . .

How anyone would suggest not giving him a new contract is laughable! To get out of this league you need a good squad and having Smith, Nag Brownhill and Massengo as CM choices is exactly what we need. Can't rely on only having 3 as if one gets injured the other 2 get burnt out i.e Pack and Brownhill last season.

Let's not forget LJ loves Korey at right back. 10 million pound right back, 100k midfielder he said jokingly.

As back up that may be more handy than a right back who can only play right back next season.

56 minutes ago, Red 90 said:

How anyone would suggest not giving him a new contract is laughable! To get out of this league you need a good squad and having Smith, Nag Brownhill and Massengo as CM choices is exactly what we need. Can't rely on only having 3 as if one gets injured the other 2 get burnt out i.e Pack and Brownhill last season.

Has Korey even played 5 games since the start of last season?

It would be more laughable to give the guy a now contract on the same or more wages than he is currently on based on the player he was two years ago. He might not come back anywhere near that level. Plus who is to say there are not other midfielders we are looking at for next season,  with Joe Morrell to come back also? 

There may well be better and cheaper midfielders that we can purchase, and unless Korey would want to take a pay-cut or he comes back playing at a really high level for the rest of the season, it seem ludicrous to give him a new contract when money could be better spent elsewhere. 

Club legend, but we need to put logic before affinities going forward. 

1 hour ago, Red 90 said:

Agreed - a versatile player who knows the system, is a good role model and coming into/in his prime. Very useful to have around and it would cost millions to buy that from elsewhere. No need to get rid of him just yet if he can prove his fitness - unless we get a very good offer.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Red 90 said:

The ONLY question for me would be if he gets another injury between now and the end of the season

Yes they were BOTH very unfortunate injuries but I wonder in the back of someones mind if there is concerns about this?

Personally I think the club were waiting to see that he got back to full fitness and then offer him something - but would imagine discussions would have been ongoing on what targets he would be expected to hit before being offered a deal

Archived