IGNORED

Academy/ Pre academy

bengalcub

Have been approached for my boy to join a pre academy , city , rovers and southampton hes only 6 any advice on which is best and if its actually a good idea at that age or stear clear until hes older (if hes still any good at an older age ) ......seems mad to be in an academy at 6 years old 

My impression looking around the parks etc, that there is lot less “kickabout” football these days, so if I had a lad who wanted to play I would be grateful for the opportunity of well organised training.

As for which is best, I have no idea, but I would clearly be biased in favour of our set up.

5 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Have been approached for my boy to join a pre academy , city , rovers and southampton hes only 6 any advice on which is best and if its actually a good idea at that age or stear clear until hes older (if hes still any good at an older age ) ......seems mad to be in an academy at 6 years old 

I guess it’s down to personal choice. If you turn it down and nobody else comes back in will you regret your decision?  

My son is 9 and recently had a trial for an academy that is trying to become a feeder academy to Bristol City and Rovers. One thing I realised is how much football some children are getting. If we assume that children have a 0.1% chance of making it professional, my son probably has a 0.05%  chance as he is only playing football for 2-3 hours per week at the moment. 

These children in academies or ‘pre academies’ (for want of a better term) are getting much more than that and the football they are getting is well coached and effective drills.

If I was you I would send him to City. He will be in good hands and he will get good coaching. 

I know someone in an under 10 academy and their life is dictated by football. They train and play a lot! Also very expensive as you are expected to pay to go on the tours when they are arranged.

As well as this, they are not allowed to play any other football with local clubs with their mates. Once in an academy they are committed to it.

Then there is the chance of being told by the academy they are not good enough and get released which can be devastating for a child.

At the end of the day it’s up to you and your son but if he just enjoys playing football I believe playing at a local club with friends is best at that age. Playing football should be about enjoying it without any added pressure. Plenty of time in the future for academies if that’s the route you eventually want to go down.

All of the academy’s you mention will have fully qualified and competent coaches.

A player can not commit by signing to an academy at that age, therefore my advice would be to train with the club that best suits your circumstances, coaching time is governed by the FA, so it pretty much comes down to where the academy is, what evenings or weekend days training is on, and how that fits into your current lifestyle and other commitments.

if your son progresses to the point where a contract is offered you can then decide either to sign for that particular academy or see if an academy of your choice is interested.

Trust me if your son shows real signs of having what it takes to make it then you will have plenty of suitors.

11 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

All of the academy’s you mention will have fully qualified and competent coaches.

A player can not commit by signing to an academy at that age, therefore my advice would be to train with the club that best suits your circumstances, coaching time is governed by the FA, so it pretty much comes down to where the academy is, what evenings or weekend days training is on, and how that fits into your current lifestyle and other commitments.

Chap I work with has his son at Southampton’s Bath based set-up.  As great as it for the son, he says the commitment for the parent(s) can be draining too.  So that’s something to consider as you say above.

I guess the other thing, is find out what your son wants to do also.  Kept him be involved in the decision.  And be flexible if it isn’t going as you hoped.

if your son progresses to the point where a contract is offered you can then decide either to sign for that particular academy or see if an academy of your choice is interested.

Trust me if your son shows real signs of having what it takes to make it then you will have plenty of suitors.

53 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

At six it won't be a pro academy. It will be a form of development centre. It may not be run by a pro club but feeding in players to one or several clubs where appropriate. 

Ask lots of questions. 

How big are the training sessions. How much coaching time a player receives 1to1. Do they review progress. What is the purpose. At six a child is in the foundation stage and a coach should be able to easily answer these questions. You should know what to expect.  

Focussed educated football training for kids is highly beneficial for those that enjoy it. The coaches in academies/development centres are more expert than those outside … A bit like teachers you put your children in the hands of people who know what they are doing.

Rovers train indoors at City Academy and am told it's a bit of a shambles with hardly any coaches per kid and is a bit tinpot.

I've been impressed with both Southampton and City from what I've seen.

At the end of the day it's extra training from qualified coaches so you've got nothing to lose with either or both.

Problem with Southampton is if your lad is still part of their satellite campus when he becomes the age where he could actually play academy football he can't play in their games program for Southampton unless you live in the catchment area of Southampton (think its 90 mins). 

3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I know someone in an under 10 academy and their life is dictated by football. They train and play a lot! Also very expensive as you are expected to pay to go on the tours when they are arranged.

As well as this, they are not allowed to play any other football with local clubs with their mates. Once in an academy they are committed to it.

Then there is the chance of being told by the academy they are not good enough and get released which can be devastating for a child.

At the end of the day it’s up to you and your son but if he just enjoys playing football I believe playing at a local club with friends is best at that age. Playing football should be about enjoying it without any added pressure. Plenty of time in the future for academies if that’s the route you eventually want to go down.

My 4 year old son has quite a talent and has been from a young age, he can competently use both of his feet also. I've often thought about getting him some coaching and seeing how far his natural talent takes him but the commitment required puts me off. I dont want his life or my life to be dictated by being in a set up like the person you know is. The odds of becoming a pro footballer are so low I'm not sure if it is worth the time, effort, money and sacrifices. 

I've also seen plenty of games where parents stand on the sidelines absolutely berating their own children, putting them down, calling them all the names under the sun etc, far too many pushy parents who failed to make it so try to live their dream through their children and I'm not sure I want my child in that sort of environment. 

I have also considered Rugby as he is naturally strong and has a determined personality so he could be well suited to that sport (even tho I'm only a part time rugby fan) but I have no idea what the rugby environment is like. Are parents the same as they are in football?

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

My 4 year old son has quite a talent and has been from a young age, he can competently use both of his feet also. I've often thought about getting him some coaching and seeing how far his natural talent takes him but the commitment required puts me off. I dont want his life or my life to be dictated by being in a set up like the person you know is. The odds of becoming a pro footballer are so low I'm not sure if it is worth the time, effort, money and sacrifices. 

I've also seen plenty of games where parents stand on the sidelines absolutely berating their own children, putting them down, calling them all the names under the sun etc, far too many pushy parents who failed to make it so try to live their dream through their children and I'm not sure I want my child in that sort of environment. 

I have also considered Rugby as he is naturally strong and has a determined personality so he could be well suited to that sport (even tho I'm only a part time rugby fan) but I have no idea what the rugby environment is like. Are parents the same as they are in football?

I've been at a under 9's game before and witnessed parents of kids on opposing teams laying into to each other and the ref.... its a bloody under 9's game just leave the kids to play ?

I grew up playing rugby and played the stage between club and county, you did still get some parents who were like it but far less I found. End of the day whichever sport the kid prefers to play and be a part of is probably the best option

My nephew has been invited to various academy sessions (as far as I know), his old man is encouraging, but not demanding - basically, if the lad wants to go an train with 'x', 'y' or 'z' he'll support it.

Quality of the coaching apparently varies massively.

As long as his lad is enjoying it and can still turn out for games with his mates, he is quite happy.

Also worth bearing in mind that at the age of 6, you lad has probably played about 15% more football (assuming he is one of the oldest in his school year) than the youngest. So he might be at an advantage that will soon even out.

Having had experience with my youngster going through the academy structure I can say without doubt the coaching and organisation at City is excellent and you will struggle to find better.

However, it is very cut throat. When my youngster was going through the system at the end of each season you were retained or released which at that age can be devastating. There are a lot of kids in each squad as they hoover up any talent that might become good enough just so they have them. I also found at the younger ages they trained a lot but game time was limited. 

The comments about not playing for other teams is true so they do miss out with their mates but they do make a new group of mates.

There is no right or wrong answer there are pros and cons but I can say it was one of the proudest moments in my life seeing my child walking out in the City kit away at Swansea wearing my boyhood heros number 4 shirt. We wouldn't change a thing but I do know people who pulled out because it wasn't for them. 

Give it a go you can always decide to pull out if its not right for your child.

35 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Youth football outside the pro set-up is alive and kicking. I have no illusions that the quality of the training compares to that which you'll get within the academy system, but the coaches all have some level of FA training and accreditation. There's emphasis on playing different positions, getting lots of contact with the ball, small-sided games and just enjoying it. Training once a week and a game at the weekend is not too much sacrifice - not at all for our family anyway - I've loved it.

The FA have worked hard, with some success, to reduce parental agro and over the last decade I've been regularly watching youth football, I've rarely found parents behaving badly on the touchlines.... although it does still happen! 

I don't know much about this, but I do know that in Rugby Union, lots of the development happens at expensive public schools. Clifton College employs its own physio and a performance coach drawn from the very top - Danny Grewcock - who is also Head of performance at the Bristol Bears. Of course kids can enjoy Rugby Union without going to a public school, but that's where many of the best facilities are.

57 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Have a look at first steps soccer. Mark, joe. Jake, miley and the rest are brilliant with children.

Archived