IGNORED

Flares at Fulham

CyderInACan

Just now, JBFC II said:

He was obviously lucky then, I could imagine they can do some damage

It wasn’t the most pleasant of experiences but not sure why people get so very wound up about it tbh. Bloke who did it didn’t chuck it anywhere, it wasn’t dangerous at all from what I experienced. Far far worse things go on at football imho including yesterday. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

It wasn’t the most pleasant of experiences but not sure why people get so very wound up about it tbh. Bloke who did it didn’t chuck it anywhere, it wasn’t dangerous at all from what I experienced. Far far worse things go on at football imho including yesterday. 

He didn’t chuck it that’s true, the main problem is there have been isolated incidences of people getting injured by them and so there’s always that risk. 

Add to that the fact they don’t add anything to the atmosphere and they just seem like a waste of time to me

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

He was obviously lucky then, I could imagine they can do some damage

Yep I have no respiratory issues (that I am aware of) and I find them suffocating. They smell, distort your view and it doesn't look intimidating in any way......if anything it makes the atmosphere shite.

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Wrong. That might be what you’ve complained about, but others have complained about being asked to open their coats. 

But for what purpose are SOME fans being asked to open their coats? It clearly isn't to counter any serious threat as the smuggling of pyros has shown that to be utterly worthless?

There are folks in front of me each week who pipe up with the best part of a picnic hamper, silver foil wrapped sarnies and cake, flasks of tea et al. Small chance they get checked?

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

But for what purpose are SOME fans being asked to open their coats? It clearly isn't to counter any serious threat as the smuggling of pyros has shown that to be utterly worthless?

There are folks in front of me each week who pipe up with the best part of a picnic hamper, silver foil wrapped sarnies and cake, flasks of tea et al. Small chance they get checked?

Your sound upset that he doesn’t share his picnic :laugh: go on ask he might let you have a sarnie or a bit cake if your lucky??

9 hours ago, poland_exile said:

I don't see that as a bite, I see that as a perfectly sensible query to raise. From my experience, and I am a self-confessed storm-chaser when it comes to 'edgy' matches in Central Eastern Europe, one thing I'm convinced about is that if anything, the tifo shows and suchlike are a major drawer and part of the theater of football. It was common knowledge both teams were putting on a big 'show' today, and when the game was invariably held up for 20 mins or so, did people retreat into the safety of corporate or the canteens. No way! It was the biggest gate the home side has had for years, and the kids around me were in awe of what was going on - as all were. Frankly, the atmosphere was wonderful, and far better than the football! 

Why not just go to an empty stadium and do it? They’re obviously not interested in watching the game. 
I guess I’m not interested in watching the high jinx of other supporters, I’m only interested in the football 

7 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Without an actual barrier and queueing system,  or placing the stewards right on the turnstiles themselves, it'd be near impossible to search everyone properly and thoroughly.

43 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

It happened when we went to Man C.

What did?

Believe it or not, walk fast and confidently and it is easy to get through unsearched at peak times at AG, dunno about away end but it's certainly possible in home ends.

Away fans tend to get searched more thoroughly as a general rule, based on what I've read anyway.

I expect one of the knock on effects of this will be more rigorous searching when we go away for a while.

In theory, there is scope or would be scope for a policy that says no search accepted, no entry.

35 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What did?

Believe it or not, walk fast and confidently and it is easy to get through unsearched at peak times at AG, dunno about away end but it's certainly possible in home ends.

Away fans tend to get searched more thoroughly as a general rule, based on what I've read anyway.

I expect one of the knock on effects of this will be more rigorous searching when we go away for a while.

In theory, there is scope or would be scope for a policy that says no search accepted, no entry.

A proper search did.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This convo feels fairly circular.

Put quickly and quite simply. Club have right to search, fans have the right to refuse search but if they refuse, club can in turn refuse entry. Quite plausible to slip through at peak time under current system!

I think I have been asked to open my jacket once. Bag searches are also sporadic to say the least. 

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Without an actual barrier and queueing system,  or placing the stewards right on the turnstiles themselves, it'd be near impossible to search everyone properly and thoroughly.

What, like Man City and numerous other events do? If the risk assessment requires searching then searching it must be for all, not the shambles AG operates.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did they have barriers/queuing system at Man City?

Agree, search should be at all entrances, otherwise it's quite pointless.

They had metal detection with physical searching plus metal and taggant detection (dogs & wand.) Quick, well trained, thorough and absolutely no problem. And EVERYONE was searched.

6 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Why not just go to an empty stadium and do it? They’re obviously not interested in watching the game. 
I guess I’m not interested in watching the high jinx of other supporters, I’m only interested in the football 

well by your logic, why don't you just stay at home and watch the football on TV? Better angles, it's nice and warm and you won't have any jostling and swearing.

I thought the whole point of going to football rather than sitting at home was for the thrills and excitement of the overall experience. 

Just now, poland_exile said:

well by your logic, why don't you just stay at home and watch the football on TV? Better angles, it's nice and warm and you won't have any jostling and swearing.

I thought the whole point of going to football rather than sitting at home was for the thrills and excitement of the overall experience. 

No not at all. If I watch on TV I am governed by the what the TV company/producer/cameraman decides to let me see. I go to a game to watch all that I can see with my own eyes, chatting to friends and soaking up the atmosphere while I'm there. I don't like watching it on telly, especially with the dreadful commentary and awful editing.

Just out of interest, those who seem to advocate ignoring the rules on flares being used inside the ground, what other rules do you think are just arbitrary and should be ignored? 

It will be interesting to see how many of the things on the list would result in the rest of us and/or the club suffering as a result, e.g. fines or points deductions or areas of the ground being closed. I stand in the Section 82 area and I would be really disappointed if something a group of idiots did, made that area inaccessible. 

16 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Whats this got to do with this so called S82? Why would it make that area inaccessible? 

Sorry, I didn't make it clear, I was saying what other behaviour do people advocate the use of flares find acceptable and how would they feel if areas of our ground were closed off because of  it. I used S82 as example as I stand there, and because there has been behaviour in the past that has caused stewards to get involved. 
JulieH has already made it clear that the person involved at Fulham had nothing to do with S82. 

Archived