IGNORED

Massengo

JBFC II

To have a man of the match today would be unfair imo, to a man every player was outstanding. Big shout outs to Williams and Baker at centre back who were quality and kept Mitrovic quiet as well as Fam who put in the best performance I’ve seen from him in a city shirt. 

However, how the hell do we have Massengo playing for us? He’s only 18 (somehow) and yet he had their midfield chasing shadows whenever he was on the ball, was never off them when they were on it and put in a premier league quality performance today. 

I’ve been critical of him in the past when he’s been overworked and lacked energy in matches but wow he was awesome today. Scary to think how far he could go (hopefully with us!)

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

For me Nagy just edged him today in terms of performance. We're talking the difference between an 8.5 and an 8 though. Looks like they could form a great partnership.

It’s a tough one. Nagy was excellent for the goal and hassled brilliantly. 

Thought Massengo edges it on the ball though (not that Nagy did anything wrong...)

As a bit of a Fam knocker, I think he has improved considerably in the last 5 or 6 games. If Eliasson continues to play he will create a lot more chances for him, though Fam does still need to convert more.

Everyone can see that Massengo is class and controls central midfield with Nagy.  I think either could work with Korey Smith too.

Great team performance.  I can't think of anyone who didn't have a good game. Pen shout was a real let off though.

442 in the last 2 games seems to be working well and should probably continue.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Just a joy to watch.  Some of his first touches were exquisite today and bought him the yard he needed to make 91% successful passes today.

Just need to be careful to give him a rest at the right time.  Look after him LJ!!

That’s exactly it imo. 

Earlier on in the season he was played too much (because of a lack of options) and he couldn’t cope so at Luton he looked lost and was overrun. 

Now he’s being looked after he looks class again

Just now, JBFC II said:

It’s a tough one. Nagy was excellent for the goal and hassled brilliantly. 

Thought Massengo edges it on the ball though (not that Nagy did anything wrong...)

The joy of having two central midfielders who in Football Manager you’d be saying are DMs, but they both have so much more about their game.  Nagy probably has more range in his running, turning up in the box on several occasions today.  It’s what we’ve missed, players who don’t play on the safe side of their man.  They are only gonna get better together too.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The joy of having two central midfielders who in Football Manager you’d be saying are DMs, but they both have so much more about their game.  Nagy probably has more range in his running, turning up in the box on several occasions today.  It’s what we’ve missed, players who don’t play on the safe side of their man.  They are only gonna get better together too.

Enjoy them now. If we don't go up they're history and a big profit for uncle Steve 

16 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

You know we're doing alright when there are 5 or 6 contenders for MOTM. Massengo one, Nagy, Baker, Williams, Fam, Brownhill ...

Diehdou had a stormer too..He battered them and got his goal....And what a goal! Not to mention Elliason....We are not bad right now!!

5 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

A young Gow, that's how good he is

Yes he is the player we have needed for 40 years!!

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just a joy to watch.  Some of his first touches were exquisite today and bought him the yard he needed to make 91% successful passes today.

Just need to be careful to give him a rest at the right time.  Look after him LJ!!

Easily done with Korey Smith ready to come in

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The latest jargon to describe such players seems to be 'positional midfielder'. Back in the day they would be called half backs, which is a bit clearer as a description.

The nearest current parallel I can think of is Jorginho. Others have mentioned Xavi, the most recent master of the classic half back role imo.

We now have 2 superb half backs, who bring a subtlety to our play. A joy, as you say.

3 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

His dink over "20m" Cairney and cruyff turn had me almost losing my cover in the home end.

Overplayed a couple times but his distribution, ball retrieval and ball retention was real top tier today.

Nipped in and retrieved the ball so many times!

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

The latest jargon to describe such players seems to be 'positional midfielder'. Back in the day they would be called half backs, which is a bit clearer as a description.

The nearest current parallel I can think of is Jorginho. Others have mentioned Xavi, the most recent master of the classic half back role imo.

We now have 2 superb half backs, who bring a subtlety to our play. A joy, as you say.

Was that in a WM formation!

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t buy the idea that Massengo will require ‘a rest’. He’s not made of glass and is only 18. At that age most of us had bundles of energy and stamina and would have played football everyday. He’s also receiving to quality coaching and has access to  top facilities and will be getting well cared for.

The boy has real ability and will only get better the more he plays. We all just enjoy watching him while he’s here,

Archived