IGNORED

Massengo

JBFC II

1 minute ago, Crackers Corner said:

When we signed him I have to admit to being bemused, it was for me the most batshit crazy signing of the summer.

It's turned into an inspired transfer and I'm sure we will be fending off offers from bigger clubs. 

Thierry Henry rated him, which was good enough for me. Henry being sacked was bad news for him but good news for us!

For anyone that watched the Champions League Youtube clip, to have come away from that and not think he would be good enough, would be crazy.

The only doubt that was the physical and speed of this league.  But players with good touch and technical ability can manipulate the ball into the position for their next touch and away from tackles.

He’ll have in inconsistency in his game, but you have to accept that, some of ours have that and he’s giving 4/5/6 years too.

1 hour ago, harvey54 said:

Enjoy them now. If we don't go up they're history and a big profit for uncle Steve 

You think that “uncle Steve” will make a profit from being involved with Bristol City..?! 
I’d love him too, but I think you should probably be a little more appreciative that he’s prepared to lose tens, if not hundreds, of millions on transforming our club into what it’s becoming!

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

You think that “uncle Steve” will make a profit from being involved with Bristol City..?! 
I’d love him too, but I think you should probably be a little more appreciative that he’s prepared to lose tens, if not hundreds, of millions on transforming our club into what it’s becoming!

It was a term of endearment 

1 hour ago, Final 3 Star said:

The only slight downside is that we don't have much of an aerial presence in midfield now. Massengo always challenges in the air, but rarely wins out. Other than that, looking really good.

He should grow his hair to give him a bit more height 

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t buy the idea that Massengo will require ‘a rest’. He’s not made of glass and is only 18. At that age most of us had bundles of energy and stamina and would have played football everyday. He’s also receiving to quality coaching and has access to  top facilities and will be getting well cared for.

The boy has real ability and will only get better the more he plays. We all just enjoy watching him while he’s here,

Trust you to put a dampener on things. 

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Good, rightly so, but I think you are way off the mark with thinking that he’ll make a profit. 

I think that we are run as a business. John is the fan that brought Dad along and Steve invested. He's a businessman and we're part of Bristol Sport. He runs us as a business imho. Players are assets and investments. 

4 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

I think that we are run as a business. John is the fan that brought Dad along and Steve invested. He's a businessman and we're part of Bristol Sport. He runs us as a business imho. Players are assets and investments. 

Yes. My point is that selling either/any players won’t see SL making any profit for himself. 

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For anyone that watched the Champions League Youtube clip, to have come away from that and not think he would be good enough, would be crazy.

The only doubt that was the physical and speed of this league.  But players with good touch and technical ability can manipulate the ball into the position for their next touch and away from tackles.

He’ll have in inconsistency in his game, but you have to accept that, some of ours have that and he’s giving 4/5/6 years too.

To add to that Dave, i would say he must be one of the very best we've had at getting his body between ball and man.

I'd be happy if he was 28 and playing like he is. This kid can go all the way.

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t buy the idea that Massengo will require ‘a rest’. He’s not made of glass and is only 18. At that age most of us had bundles of energy and stamina and would have played football everyday. He’s also receiving to quality coaching and has access to  top facilities and will be getting well cared for.

The boy has real ability and will only get better the more he plays. We all just enjoy watching him while he’s here,

Were you watching six weeks ago? Massengo was struggling to play Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday. This is the Championship we are talking about, not the Toolstation Premier or Suburban League Division 4 or you playing five a side one day and bowls the next with your mates!!

It’s not just about having the fitness levels to run for 90 minutes but the strength and concentration aspects at that level that Massengo has to deal with are so far in excess of what your “average” 18 year old would be able to accomplish it’s laughable.

At the moment the kid is fresh and right on point but if in a month or two he is 10% off his game, LJ will quite rightly rest the boy.

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Were you watching six weeks ago? Massengo was struggling to play Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday. This is the Championship we are talking about, not the Toolstation Premier or Suburban League Division 4 or you playing five a side one day and bowls the next with your mates!!

It’s not just about having the fitness levels to run for 90 minutes but the strength and concentration aspects at that level that Massengo has to deal with are so far in excess of what your “average” 18 year old would be able to accomplish it’s laughable.

At the moment the kid is fresh and right on point but if in a month or two he is 10% off his game, LJ will quite rightly rest the boy.

I get what you’re saying but would counter it by pointing out that by training and/or playing  he’s already grown fitter, stronger and is more mentally alert in less that half of a season.........

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

They're both so much better in our side than Pack aren't they

Better? Yes.

Let's not knock Pack though, just under 2 years back he had Pogba in his back pocket. He was outstanding and especially when in a fairly condensed centre. Was linked with Wolves Jan 2018- their outstanding midfield and side generally of 2017/18.

Better and higher ceiling for these two? Of course, very much so. Feels a tad gratuitous though, the Pack slating.

1 minute ago, Coppello said:

Agreed. The only thing that I miss about Pack is his height and his physical presence in the centre of the park. 

Yes, but I believe for a midfielder that is nowhere near as important as first touch, speed, technique etc - in the modern game anyway.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Better? Yes.

Let's not knock Pack though, just under 2 years back he had Pogba in his back pocket. He was outstanding and especially when in a fairly condensed centre. Was linked with Wolves Jan 2018- their outstanding midfield and side generally of 2017/18.

Better and higher ceiling for these two? Of course, very much so. Feels a tad gratuitous though, the Pack slating.

I am just saying what i'd hopefully say about any player that has been replaced. We have replaced with better.

48 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Good job we’re run as a business, because we are a business, and if we weren’t run like one we could be Bolton or Bury.

So I’m really not sure what your point is.

Re Massengo - a regular criticism on here of Johnson, until recently, was that he hasn’t bought well. I’ve noticed people aren’t saying that any more.

Isn’t is about time we appreciated just how well we are recruiting now - Massengo, Nagy, Webster, Williams, Perreira, Dasilva, Kalas, Afobe, Bentley all spring to mind as exceptionally good value additions that not only improve the team but have potential resale value well in excess of what we paid for them.

I don’t think we’ve perhaps given the club the credit it deserves for consistently good recruitment for quite a while now. We’re signing very few duffers these days.

Archived