IGNORED

Massengo

JBFC II

1 minute ago, WECANDO said:

Unless of course LJ doesn’t play one of them for Smith.

That is my fear as well.

There is absolutely no justification for dropping Massengo or Nagy at all - but I still think LJ will fit Smith in at some point at the expense of one of them. And once he's in the team, he stays.

Backward step if that happens imo.

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Better? Yes.

Let's not knock Pack though, just under 2 years back he had Pogba in his back pocket. He was outstanding and especially when in a fairly condensed centre. Was linked with Wolves Jan 2018- their outstanding midfield and side generally of 2017/18.

Better and higher ceiling for these two? Of course, very much so. Feels a tad gratuitous though, the Pack slating.

Please, you are sounding like a Rovers fan, Pack has never had anyone in his back pocket let alone a world Cup winner

36 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Re Massengo - a regular criticism on here of Johnson, until recently, was that he hasn’t bought well. I’ve noticed people aren’t saying that any more.

Isn’t is about time we appreciated just how well we are recruiting now - Massengo, Nagy, Webster, Williams, Perreira, Dasilva, Kalas, Afobe, Bentley all spring to mind as exceptionally good value additions that not only improve the team but have potential resale value well in excess of what we paid for them.

I don’t think we’ve perhaps given the club the credit it deserves for consistently good recruitment for quite a while now. We’re signing very few duffers these days.

I'd be really interested to know who is the real decision maker when it comes to recruitment.

What roles do LJ, MA , scouts and the analyst team have in finding our new players? Maybe it's a team effort or maybe LJ has a big input on which players he wants them to scout. Maybe he just gets a veto on targets found by the club but doesn't actually come up with the names?

I don't think the club has given much clarity around this, beyond saying they plan it well in advance of any signing.

5 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Please, you are sounding like a Rovers fan, Pack has never had anyone in his back pocket let alone a world Cup winner

Try watching the game again. Pogba was getting increasingly ratty as the game went on because he could not get the better of Pack. One of the finest performances from a City player I had seen in years at that point.

His performance that night may well have been why Guardiola referred to him by name before we played Man City.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I don’t buy the idea that Massengo will require ‘a rest’. He’s not made of glass and is only 18. At that age most of us had bundles of energy and stamina and would have played football everyday. He’s also receiving to quality coaching and has access to  top facilities and will be getting well cared for.

The boy has real ability and will only get better the more he plays. We all just enjoy watching him while he’s here,

Spot on (as usual) Robbo. 

This young man is special. A tribute to our scouting team to find him in France. 

My footy mates call him "Wonderboy" . He is one of those players who you gives you a thrill every time he gets the ball because (usually) a moment of brilliance is coming next.

I have no doubt that he will be a PL star within the next 2 - 3 years - hopefully with us.

BUT let us not just focus on one player. All our players were brilliant today and (I was not there) but listening to the RB commentary, Gary Owers said our second goal was his goal of the season. Can't wait to see the highlights. 

27 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Try watching the game again. Pogba was getting increasingly ratty as the game went on because he could not get the better of Pack. One of the finest performances from a City player I had seen in years at that point.

His performance that night may well have been why Guardiola referred to him by name before we played Man City.

Yeah he was fantastic tbh looking back.

Pogba was a disgrace but I dare say a decent chunk of that was down to the aforementioned brilliant work by Pack.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

I don't need to watch the game again, what I do know is that we are a far better team without the pedestrian Pack

5 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Were you watching six weeks ago? Massengo was struggling to play Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday. This is the Championship we are talking about, not the Toolstation Premier or Suburban League Division 4 or you playing five a side one day and bowls the next with your mates!!

It’s not just about having the fitness levels to run for 90 minutes but the strength and concentration aspects at that level that Massengo has to deal with are so far in excess of what your “average” 18 year old would be able to accomplish it’s laughable.

At the moment the kid is fresh and right on point but if in a month or two he is 10% off his game, LJ will quite rightly rest the boy.

Exactly.  As brilliant as he is, to expect an 18 year old to play week in week out is unrealistic.  We’ve already seen the benefits of a rest, where Pre and post-international break (where he played for France u19s, so no rest) he got 3 games on the bench.  Still training to keep him sharp, but taken out out of the firing line on the pitch.  So for RR to say he doesn't need resting is rubbish, because LJ has deemed it necessary already. 

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Re Massengo - a regular criticism on here of Johnson, until recently, was that he hasn’t bought well. I’ve noticed people aren’t saying that any more.

Isn’t is about time we appreciated just how well we are recruiting now - Massengo, Nagy, Webster, Williams, Perreira, Dasilva, Kalas, Afobe, Bentley all spring to mind as exceptionally good value additions that not only improve the team but have potential resale value well in excess of what we paid for them.

I don’t think we’ve perhaps given the club the credit it deserves for consistently good recruitment for quite a while now. We’re signing very few duffers these days.

Recruitment has improved a great deal.  Still not perfect, but it never will be...plus we need to be patient with some players.

He is the reason coaches get into football to develop talent like this. Our recruitment & coaching seems first class now, think we are building somthing special here, players seem signed on.

I guess its working, the direction SL decided 10-15 yrs ago is now bearing fruit, we are identifying, developing young talent into top players, we have top class facilities now & improve everyone.

Only seem to buy players we identify capabley improve, who want to improve and improve us. 

Joe,  Bobby, Lloyd, Tammy too to an extent are proof and to a degree explains why we can attract players like Massengo, Kalas, Jay, Nagy, players you might think normally out of our reach considering who we are, right?

We cannot offer historical glory to bask in, if they want that go Leeds or Forest. We offer them somthing better, future immortality who write the history! We have it all too look forward to, the promotion, the first Prem game, first goal first win. Everyone seems to be signed onto to that dream, and Bristol is a beautiful city to do it in. 

Archived