IGNORED

Today's forgotten man

AppyDAZE

Couldn't agree more with the comments on Bentley.

At the time maybe a gamble with his dip in form, but I think we all know that was a mind and confidence thing, than than a physical thing.

His 1 on 1's is up there with Peter Schmeichel IMO.

Love his song, but still can't work out all the words with being a bit Mutt & Jeff :laugh:

Can someone please give me the full transcript!

7 hours ago, Spud55 said:

Best keeper we have had in the time I have been watching City so far, only keeper that I think could have proved to be better were it not for injuries would have been Billy Mercer. 

You have to include Heaton aswell surely? Despite shipping 80 odd goals was it? He was our player of the season.

20 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

ive been trying to think of a duff keeper city have had. memory goes back as far as cashley but the only name that springs to mind is david james but he wasn't that bad,just had some real howlers

Didn't we have a goalie , I think on loan, called something like 'Vykstra' years ago. I remember he was forgettable.

21 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

ive been trying to think of a duff keeper city have had. memory goes back as far as cashley but the only name that springs to mind is david james but he wasn't that bad,just had some real howlers

I think another problem associated with DJ was that we all felt the club was putting out a statement of intent by getting a so called marquee signing, remember that he was England's current GK when he signed for us, having just come back from the 2010 World Cup where he played in the 4-1 defeat by Germany in the knockout stages.  Unfortunately his signing probably accounted for Coppell leaving after 2 games in charge, and the subsequent relegation battles.  

So I think he was judged on who he was, and he certainly had some good games, but plenty of few howlers, which sort of reflected his career. But factor in the fact that he was 39 or 40 when we signed him, and by the end of his 2 year contract he was responsible for an absolute howler against Watford, which put us right in the mire.  Del-boy dropped him for Dean Gherkin and we were unbeaten in the last 8 and avoided relegation quite comfortably (remember the Easter weekend away to Forest - Louis Carey head-bandaged interview on Sky and then beating Coventry at home a few days later).   By then his confidence was totally shot. 

Having said all that, totally agree with the comments on DB.

Another keeper that was slightly underwhelming was Bo Anderssen signed by Benny...don't think he has been mentioned yet!

On 07/12/2019 at 20:16, Gazred said:

Marinovic would be the most recent.

It makes me laugh when I see him slated. He made an absolute howler in the first minute or two of the one game he played for us (which he got away with),but I remember that game and he actually didn't do much wrong for the rest of it.

On 08/12/2019 at 16:41, BS4 on Tour... said:

That was his one and only game wasn’t it?!

I can`t remember him ever playing again for us TBH. We went through a run of loan keepers early that season IIRC - must have been an injury to whoever was first choice? 1984 it was.

Edit; just wiki`d him. He did only play the once and is now a double glazing salesman in Southampton. Born in Ilfracombe too - never knew that, I`m surprised there isn`t a blue plaque in the town commemorating the event!

He also played in Bournemouth`s famous 2-0 win over Man Utd in the cup and was rewarded with a year`s supply of pizzas from a local restaurant!

Archived