Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

AppyDAZE

Today's forgotten man

Agreed - I feel more confident about these type of situations where I just used to choose my eyes and wait for the opposing teams fans to explode. Kept us not only in this game but multiple games this season. 

Someone (not me) should (hypothetically) calculate how many points all of these interjections are worth in terms of points....

Hope LJ gives Maenpaa a cup run alla Luke Steele two years ago! 

Edited by MelksRed
Crap spelling the first time!
  • Like 1

Am i being harsh thinking he should be doing better for the goal? Apart from that he was excellent like he always is.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Am i being harsh thinking he should be doing better for the goal? Apart from that he was excellent like he always is.

He saved the shot the defender didn’t deal with it Fulham scored, not much Bentley could do

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

He saved the shot the defender didn’t deal with it Fulham scored, not much Bentley could do

Thought he should of done better with the first shot. Anyway not important now.

1 minute ago, Super said:

Thought he should of done better with the first shot. Anyway not important now.

Callum defended Neeskens awfully on their goal.

Bentley was livid to concede, kicking the back stanchion.  Good attitude.

• Like 3

He was absolutely livid when we conceded as well, he kicked the stanchion behind the goal. I think because of where his first  parry ended up. Or maybe with the defence I’m not sure. But I don’t care, it’s always great to see that passion 

Edited by real_bristol

I wouldn’t say he was ‘ forgotten ‘ . He is a huge part of why we are where we are.

As others have pointed out he has kept us in games so often this season with saves at crucial times.

It is almost expected now . 

He is my player of the season so far .

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I wouldn’t say he was ‘ forgotten ‘ . He is a huge part of why we are where we are.

As others have pointed out he has kept us in games so often this season with saves at crucial times.

It is almost expected now . 

He is my player of the season so far .

I think the most unsung player this season so far , if not necessarily the best is Nathan Baker as he has been really good, and is someone who rarely gets everyone on his side.

Having a storming season, NB

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 10

I don't see a better keeper anywhere in the world right now. 

OK, I don't watch every televised game, but I've seen nobody better in 100 games. 

Yeah, looking again he does push that save back into play a bit but it was a quick, decent save from a decent shot. Deserved better reactions from the defense if we're being critical, and probably Callum to do better to stop the shot to start with. For all their possession it was one of those games where DB had less to do than usual away from home.

No way did we not deserve to win that game , penalty or no penalty.

Edited by AppyDAZE

ive been trying to think of a duff keeper city have had. memory goes back as far as cashley but the only name that springs to mind is david james but he wasn't that bad,just had some real howlers

2 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

ive been trying to think of a duff keeper city have had. memory goes back as far as cashley but the only name that springs to mind is david james but he wasn't that bad,just had some real howlers

Marinovic would be the most recent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

2 minutes ago, Gazred said:

We`ve had some right bangers on loan down the years. Ian Leigh anyone? Let one through his legs in the first couple of minutes of his debut in front of the EE.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

Elliott Parish was awful 

I always thought the best goalkeeper we ever had in one on one situations was Jan Moller, but I am starting to revise that opinion.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

Frank who? 

Harsh on Frank who was superb for us over many years, put silver in the cabinet and all that.

That being said times change, and Bentley is proving an absolute steal and seems a tip bloke as well. Keep up the good work Danny boy 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

Chalk and cheese wolfy boy! 

Mmm cheese.

I get the tounge in cheek quip ... I'm just quite loyal to our former players who actually won stuff. 

Anyway best away day I've been on for some time, what is it about Fulham? :laugh: **** them 

7 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Dan Bentley does his usual one v one save at a crucial time, and now we barely notice it. It is almost to be expected.

What a signing this giant has been.

Cheers, Dan cheers mate you really are fantastic.

He's a Rolls Royce of a keeper!  👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Harsh on Frank who was superb for us over many years, put silver in the cabinet and all that.

That being said times change, and Bentley is proving an absolute steal and seems a tip bloke as well. Keep up the good work Danny boy 

I dont think Frank was superb, he did well but certainly no where near superb. The thing with Frank was that you could never feel 100% confident in him as he always had a mistake in him. He was quite erratic at times. He would make some world class saves but would be very prone to conceding pathetic goals that my gran could save. He wasnt consistent enough, his form would dip up and down like a rollercoaster. He was quite prone to injuries also. He has been one of the weakest links in the team for the past few years. Nice guy but I am glad hes gone.

• Like 3

Think Frankie was a very good keeper and was a big part that we not were relegated. Now we have Bentley and he is even better than Frankie. I was not sure about him when he came but time has shown he is brilliant.

4 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

He's a Rolls Royce of a keeper!  👌

Stop saying that about our players, every time people do we end up losing them.

hh wait, Bentley, i get it now, holy shit im slow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Best keeper we have had in the time I have been watching City so far, only keeper that I think could have proved to be better were it not for injuries would have been Billy Mercer. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gazred said:

The unfortunate Mike Kelly would be another.

David James gets a lot of unwarranted  criticism but I saw him save two penalties for City in a match. 

Couldn't agree more with the comments on Bentley.

At the time maybe a gamble with his dip in form, but I think we all know that was a mind and confidence thing, than than a physical thing.

His 1 on 1's is up there with Peter Schmeichel IMO.

Love his song, but still can't work out all the words with being a bit Mutt & Jeff :laugh:

Can someone please give me the full transcript!

If we are talking about forgotten men, I’d like to applaud Tommy Rowe. Bought as a back up utility player from a lower league. Only supposed to be a reserve, he has covered for JD admirably. Well done Tommy. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Spud55 said:

Best keeper we have had in the time I have been watching City so far, only keeper that I think could have proved to be better were it not for injuries would have been Billy Mercer. 

You have to include Heaton aswell surely? Despite shipping 80 odd goals was it? He was our player of the season.

20 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

We`ve had some right bangers on loan down the years. Ian Leigh anyone? Let one through his legs in the first couple of minutes of his debut in front of the EE.

That was his one and only game wasn’t it?!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

Didn't we have a goalie , I think on loan, called something like 'Vykstra' years ago. I remember he was forgettable.

21 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

I think another problem associated with DJ was that we all felt the club was putting out a statement of intent by getting a so called marquee signing, remember that he was England's current GK when he signed for us, having just come back from the 2010 World Cup where he played in the 4-1 defeat by Germany in the knockout stages.  Unfortunately his signing probably accounted for Coppell leaving after 2 games in charge, and the subsequent relegation battles.  

So I think he was judged on who he was, and he certainly had some good games, but plenty of few howlers, which sort of reflected his career. But factor in the fact that he was 39 or 40 when we signed him, and by the end of his 2 year contract he was responsible for an absolute howler against Watford, which put us right in the mire.  Del-boy dropped him for Dean Gherkin and we were unbeaten in the last 8 and avoided relegation quite comfortably (remember the Easter weekend away to Forest - Louis Carey head-bandaged interview on Sky and then beating Coventry at home a few days later).   By then his confidence was totally shot. 

Having said all that, totally agree with the comments on DB.

Another keeper that was slightly underwhelming was Bo Anderssen signed by Benny...don't think he has been mentioned yet!

Edited by New Dazzler

On 07/12/2019 at 20:16, Gazred said:

It makes me laugh when I see him slated. He made an absolute howler in the first minute or two of the one game he played for us (which he got away with),but I remember that game and he actually didn't do much wrong for the rest of it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Superjack said:

It makes me laugh when I see him slated. He made an absolute howler in the first minute or two of the one game he played for us (which he got away with),but I remember that game and he actually didn't do much wrong for the rest of it.

He couldn't kick the ball.

On 08/12/2019 at 16:41, BS4 on Tour... said:

That was his one and only game wasn’t it?!

I can`t remember him ever playing again for us TBH. We went through a run of loan keepers early that season IIRC - must have been an injury to whoever was first choice? 1984 it was.

Edit; just wiki`d him. He did only play the once and is now a double glazing salesman in Southampton. Born in Ilfracombe too - never knew that, I`m surprised there isn`t a blue plaque in the town commemorating the event!

He also played in Bournemouth`s famous 2-0 win over Man Utd in the cup and was rewarded with a year`s supply of pizzas from a local restaurant!

• Like 1