IGNORED

Diedhiou

bcfc01

42 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

A striker will be judged on the percentage of chances they put away and last season his conversion rate wasn't good enough. But he's looked a real handful pretty much every game this season and that's fantastic.

He scored 1 in 3.5 chances he had, that’s a fantastic rate

I think people go a bit over the top about Fam's misses last season. There were a few very bad misses, but most strikers miss the odd sitter. 

If we look at the previous season to that, he barely missed any good chance he had, he scored regularly all the time he was fit. He had a strike rate of a goal every 180 mins. This season goal every 166 minutes and not really missed much from what I can think of.

Last season he had less support as we had him very isolated. A role I believe he actually does well and was key in our amazing winning run. But he was never going to score as many in that role.

It's brilliant now LJ has found a role that seems to get the best out of him and others. Not too isolated, but playing the lone role that occupies the centre backs. Not in a 2 and doing things he isn't good at.

I think this maybe changes our main striker target in January. It was probably an on the shoulder type, but if we carry on playing this way then we surely need a Wickham, maybe even Cosgrove of Aberdeen if LJ thinks he's good enough to compete with Fam - a target man.

I would have considered selling Fam as I didn't believe we could get the best out of him. But now he seems like a key player for us.

The only player that i think may struggle with Fam being up top is Palmer. But Kasey will have to learn more to his game to not have to rely on an Afobe ahead of him if he is going to get back in this team.

I think Fammy is a player who can be incredibly effective, but needs to be used in the right way. He's not going to take games by the scruff of the neck and drag you back in to a match all be himself. However, if you don't fire 40 yard balls at his head and get players alongside and around him, I think he's a great player at this level

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think people go a bit over the top about Fam's misses last season. There were a few very bad misses, but most strikers miss the odd sitter. 

They do, but of every player who scored 10 or more goals last season, according to Opta he had the worst big chance conversion of anyone. Just don't ask me how they define what a big chance is.

10 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Practically every set piece cross into our box today landed on his head. He is a massive factor in our defence away from home. I don't think he gets enough credit for that side of his game.

He cleared off the line with his feet against Forest at home from a corner. His defensive work is great for a striker.

And confidence is a wonderful thing for goal scorers at any level. The international call up has done wonders for him. Not many players have a goal against Brazil on their CV.

It was always his price tag why people didn’t rate him. He basically doubled our record signing at the time and people expected a 25-30 goal a season striker. That was never realistic. 

If you look at the fees of strikers in this division Fam could be one of the best bargains. I think if we sold him this summer we’d almost double what we paid. He is sometimes let down by being good at a lot of things but not great at any but for all he has been up against he has never once complained. He just gets on with it. 

As for the conversion rate, I said it this summer, he is in the right areas. He had 13 last year with a 6 game suspension and poor conversion rate. No suspension and put away 10% more of those clear chances and he will get 20. 

He does seem more confident at the moment and long may it continue. We need another striker no matter what so I hope one coming in doesn’t affect him. 

Hopefully Famara keeps improving.

Thought he did well yesterday, and better than last week, which was an improved performance on previous week's. Getting the basics right is what you expect from him after all this time here.

I think LJ is justified in saying the last two performances are better and what's expected from Fam.

He's obviously been as frustrated as myself in watching him not be as disciplined in positioning and application in the right areas in the past.

Long may he continue in this vein.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

All round game yesterday was fantastic including a couple of important headers away from their dangerous crosses.

TBF I think he's always been good at defending in our box, the distance he gets on clearing headers is excellent.

Got to say / admit my early season view of Fam has changed.  Thought he was playing at 80%, looked a bit like he didn’t want to be out there, but since Charlton, where ironically his 32 minutes were ended by a red card, I think we have seen Fam enjoying his best spell of form since that injury against Palace in his first season here.

He’s had his moments in between, probably more for the benefit of our away following, but they have been 2/3 game spells, rather than consistent performances.

I’m not sure whether it’s the Senegal call-ups and goals giving him confidence, but he seems a different player. Personally I hated the trampoline comments because playing back to goal is tough.

What I liked yesterday was he didn’t stay Centre / Left of Centre, but lots of good stuff in inside right position too.

I created a couple of vids that I posted on Twitter:

He really was involved, and also look at the intensity of some of his running....full-tilt, not 80%.  Please keep this up Fam.  He is scoring at his best rate too.

6 goals in 9 starts / 7 subs / 994 minutes.

6 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

And everyone's a Fammy fan...this week.?

I was a big fan on arrival....watched him quite a bit at Angers.  Backed him in his first half a dozen games whilst he adjusted to the Champ, whilst a lot were very critical.  Last season was very mixed, suspension at start of season didn’t help, and at times since I’ve been quite critical, whilst his goals have covered over several poor performances.  Now we are seeing performances too.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I was a big fan on arrival....watched him quite a bit at Angers.  Backed him in his first half a dozen games whilst he adjusted to the Champ, whilst a lot were very critical.  Last season was very mixed, suspension at start of season didn’t help, and at times since I’ve been quite critical, whilst his goals have covered over several poor performances.  Now we are seeing performances too.

Well I have seen a few good to great centre forwards  over the years at the club, all the way back to Big John....and Fam is a very worthy of the 9 shirt. He leads the line well, his defensive attributes are priceless and he is as sound as a pound human being. 

On 07/12/2019 at 15:53, Garland-sweden said:

Liked  Famara from day one. Now he is in the right place on the field and when he gets the ball he can pass it to a City player. We have more movement all around and it fits Famara. No high balls when he is isolatet and lonely upfront. Defensive he is like a good cb in the air. He is no Messi but he is perfect for us. When the crosses Com from our wingers our opponents always have one or two defenders to mark him, then another of our players can score, Brownhill, Eliasson, Weimann. He is very important to our team.

Exactly with most of this. LJ has played FD as a lump. Now he has been unshackled from the 1 up hit to the big *** role he’s playing well. Who knew!!

5 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Well I have seen a few good to great centre forwards  over the years at the club, all the way back to Big John....and Fam is a very worthy of the 9 shirt. He leads the line well, his defensive attributes are priceless and he is as sound as a pound human being. 

So have I.

And, up until the last 2 or 3 games (barring the odd game here and there) he's not been anywhere good enough imho. 

He's looked clumsy and technically inept most of the time - and that is nothing to do with where he plays or how he has been asked to play, just clumsy and inept. He missed the most chances of any forward in the division last season because of that, simple chances gone begging.

Thats led to LJ and Ashton publicly stating that we need a new number 9 in the January window and rightly so.

I really don't know if that has given him a kick up the arse or if his international exploits has given him a confidence boost or if the change in formation has given him a bit more freedom (I doubt that one) but whatever it is, he has improved dramatically over the last 2 or 3 games so credit where it is due. Also massive credit for his hat trick for Senegal - regardless of the opposition it was something to be respected.

I sincerely hope he can keep up that level of performance as it is on a different level to the last couple of years.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Got to say / admit my early season view of Fam has changed.  Thought he was playing at 80%, looked a bit like he didn’t want to be out there, but since Charlton, where ironically his 32 minutes were ended by a red card, I think we have seen Fam enjoying his best spell of form since that injury against Palace in his first season here.

He’s had his moments in between, probably more for the benefit of our away following, but they have been 2/3 game spells, rather than consistent performances.

I’m not sure whether it’s the Senegal call-ups and goals giving him confidence, but he seems a different player. Personally I hated the trampoline comments because playing back to goal is tough.

What I liked yesterday was he didn’t stay Centre / Left of Centre, but lots of good stuff in inside right position too.

I created a couple of vids that I posted on Twitter:

He really was involved, and also look at the intensity of some of his running....full-tilt, not 80%.  Please keep this up Fam.  He is scoring at his best rate too.

6 goals in 9 starts / 7 subs / 994 minutes.

Fantastic goal!

12 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

So have I.

And, up until the last 2 or 3 games (barring the odd game here and there) he's not been anywhere good enough imho. 

He's looked clumsy and technically inept most of the time - and that is nothing to do with where he plays or how he has been asked to play, just clumsy and inept. He missed the most chances of any forward in the division last season because of that, simple chances gone begging.

Thats led to LJ and Ashton publicly stating that we need a new number 9 in the January window and rightly so.

I really don't know if that has given him a kick up the arse or if his international exploits has given him a confidence boost or if the change in formation has given him a bit more freedom (I doubt that one) but whatever it is, he has improved dramatically over the last 2 or 3 games so credit where it is due. Also massive credit for his hat trick for Senegal - regardless of the opposition it was something to be respected.

I sincerely hope he can keep up that level of performance as it is on a different level to the last couple of years.

Which proves the point 'write off a player at your peril' He is the sort of player I would be loathed to sell to another club, especially the Championship, 'we' are so quick to write off players on here, currently it's COD, sometimes it better to improve what you already have, I mean that is why we have coaching staff.

Right?:smartass:

19 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Which proves the point 'write off a player at your peril' He is the sort of player I would be loathed to sell to another club, especially the Championship, 'we' are so quick to write off players on here, currently it's COD, sometimes it better to improve what you already have, I mean that is why we have coaching staff.

Right?:smartass:

Spot on. 

Fam is now becoming one of our most important players.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Spot on. 

Fam is now becoming one of our most important players.

Defensively as well as up front. Won every set piece fulham played high into the box on Saturday, and the Fulham players eventually resorted to pushing him and giving us free kicks. I’m still convinced his suspension cost us goals and points v Wigan and at Barnsley. 

Archived