IGNORED

Eliasson

Lez

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think he’s been bad either.  I’ve got a good memory, but I honestly can’t remember Swansea or him standing out over the “norm”.  Cardiff he was good and had an impact on the game.  Charlton when we went to the diamond too.  I was more referring to West Brom in terms of “safe”.

I was watching a few clips of Brownhill’s goals yesterday and there were a couple of moments where O’Dowda was in full flight in wide positions, that’s the bit I miss seeing.  Totally get the driving through central midfield.

There aren’t enough games I come away from thinking Callum is in the frame for MOTM.  But I don’t think he is bad either.

I felt a bit sorry for him yesterday, being chucked on with our backs to the wall and trying to get up to the pace of the game - and failing badly.

He almost cost us the game and, imo,  it was a stupid substitution sending him on to defend our right side when Pereira was on the bench.

Had the ref given the penalty and had they scored from the stupid free kick he gave away ten yards from the area, he would have been hung out to dry.

As it was he got away with it, but it was more down to LJ than him that it almost cost us the game.

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I felt a bit sorry for him yesterday, being chucked on with our backs to the wall and trying to get up to the pace of the game - and failing badly.

He almost cost us the game and, imo,  it was a stupid substitution sending him on to defend our right side when Pereira was on the bench.

Had the ref given the penalty and had they scored from the stupid free kick he gave away ten yards from the area, he would have been hung out to dry.

As it was he got away with it, but it was more down to LJ than him that it almost cost us the game.

I got the thinking of bringing him on in a straight swap for Eliasson, but like you, when I saw him go right, I did wonder why Pereira wasn’t considered.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think he’s been bad either.  I’ve got a good memory, but I honestly can’t remember Swansea or him standing out over the “norm”.  Cardiff he was good and had an impact on the game.  Charlton when we went to the diamond too.  I was more referring to West Brom in terms of “safe”.

I was watching a few clips of Brownhill’s goals yesterday and there were a couple of moments where O’Dowda was in full flight in wide positions, that’s the bit I miss seeing.  Totally get the driving through central midfield.

There aren’t enough games I come away from thinking Callum is in the frame for MOTM.  But I don’t think he is bad either.

I think Cardiff he was close to being MOTM. But what you say is fair enough. Just don't get the over the top criticism saying he is turd etc. It becomes fashionable on here to have a go at one player and O'Dowda is that player this season.

8 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Agree. Pereira would have been better sub, as he has played wide midfield a lot in the past and is obviously a natural defender. At that point it was all about sitting in and defending. Pereira has pace too if we were to break.

On 08/12/2019 at 06:49, JonDolman said:

I think Cod needs to work on his defensive skills for sure. At times he looks really good. Like Boro second half when he went to left back, and dealt comfortably with everything when defending. Just needs to find that consistency in his defending, as on his day he looks good.

I wouldn't currently have COD in the side as we are playing so well as we are. But he is good cover in any 3 positions behind Fam, left, right or centre. Fulham wanted him, Leeds apparently wanted him too. He's not terrible like people say.

He was very good last season in that great run we went on. He's had some good performances this season, couple of bad ones.

I don't really get people saying they don't know what he brings. Well he's quick and works his socks off. Surely at least people can admit that. Seems like there's a dislike for him that means people can't even bring themselves to say anything positive about the guy.

He may be quick and he does work hard, however he rarely runs into space with the ball at his feet, instead more often than not choosing to either pass backwards pointlessly or run down a blind alley. 

He has the ability to be a cracking player, however his decision making is dismal, he still plays like a 19 year old, a couple of times on Saturday we got caught out with the naivety of Massengo trying to beat 1 too many players, from an 18 year old I can happily accept this, COD has been doing it since he's been here and does not seem to learn. 

He was on for 10 minutes on Saturday and was bloody lucky not to cost us 2 goals. More often than not he is like Pato on one of his bad days where you would be as well playing with 10 men. He needs to either seriously improve his decision making or he will get no higher than Mid table Championship at best. 

1 minute ago, Spud55 said:

He may be quick and he does work hard, however he rarely runs into space with the ball at his feet, instead more often than not choosing to either pass backwards pointlessly or run down a blind alley. 

He has the ability to be a cracking player, however his decision making is dismal, he still plays like a 19 year old, a couple of times on Saturday we got caught out with the naivety of Massengo trying to beat 1 too many players, from an 18 year old I can happily accept this, COD has been doing it since he's been here and does not seem to learn. 

He was on for 10 minutes on Saturday and was bloody lucky not to cost us 2 goals. More often than not he is like Pato on one of his bad days where you would be as well playing with 10 men. He needs to either seriously improve his decision making or he will get no higher than Mid table Championship at best. 

Disagree with that 10 men comment. He offers absolutely loads in his work rate. So even on a day when his end product is not at its best, he does so much for the team. Palmer is probably one I'd say might as well have 10 men when he's off his game, as he doesn't offer the work rate to make up for it.

Agree he was poor when coming on. But not really seen him play poorly much this season. Fans love Weimann even when he has a bad game with the ball at his feet because he works so hard for the team. But not O'Dowda when he works his socks off too. 

But it's fine to not rate a player, or feel they are underachieving. But the comments at times about him are way too harsh imo.

What I also like is how he now drifts inside at times- not just out there on the wing but we saw it v Huddersfield and looking at his assists in the run up to Huddersfield, already shows it too, he can do both- helps us tactically!

That was one of my only real reservations about giving him a proper run- fear assuaged, a must start of course.

Make him a regular and get him tied town to a 5 year contract, we have the money to pay him whatever it takes. This way he either stays with us for years to come supplying his brilliant crosses or, if we do end up selling to a 'bigger' club, we'll make a tonne. Getting him a new contract before Jan should be a huge priority.  

Banged on for ages about how he should start on the left hand side. Hope Paterson returning doesn't make LJ move him back out right and Paterson on the left!

New contract would be nice, but Eliasson wasn't happy with his game time last season so I expect he's waiting to see if this spell in the side continues.  

54 minutes ago, Super said:

I wonder where we would be if he had started more games. 

Difficult one, I think that we could have lost a few of those games we drew. We didn't really have the protection at the back until Nagy came back fit to partner HNM, I think that's why we played the three at the back and used wing backs instead of Eliasson, and especially when Famara was out for 3 games, he wouldn't have had much to aim for in the box. Now I think we have a better balanced 4-4-2 / 4-2-3-1 that allows him that little bit of freedom from the start of a game and more targets with Brownhill getting into the box with Fam and Weimann. 

On 08/12/2019 at 01:01, Garland-sweden said:

Eliasson is a joy to see, he got so mutch in him. He got our play a new dimension. If he continues to play well Im sure he will be playing for Sweden in the euros. Niclas is still young and he will be better and better. He is verry good and already a class player. He seems to like it in City and fingers crossed we can keep him. Sometimes he is to unselfish, he is comfortable to pass, would like him go more central sometimes and shoot. Think LJ have coached him right even If Im thinking he should have been in the starting eleven last season. He learned from the bench how hard and fast this leauge is. Good scouting from City to find Niclas in Sweden. When he was playing here in Sweden he had the most assist in the swedish leauge. The tempo in the swedish leauge is low, Niclas came to a better leauge and he still delivers, that shows he is a great player.

Do you think he's got a chance of getting into the Swedish squad? You've got players at Brentford, Seattle, Rangers, Krasnodar, so it seems that he's playing at an ok level that could see him considered. Is it realistic for him to go to the Euros if he maintains this form?

Aaaah, do you remember back when he was being held up as another example of our terrible recruitment policy? People claiming he had only ever been good at 5 a side football etc. We could have bought a "proven" 30 year old instead,  one for the future apparently meant in 10 games time for some. Even some of Swedish friends saying there were better players we could have bought and everyone in Sweden was shocked when we bought him. 
Those were the days....... :) 

We have four players who plays in first division abroad I think. One in Man U, one in Real Sociedad, two in Germany, Mainz and Leipzig. Forsberg in Leipzig is our best player. Its realistic that Eliasson can take a place in the swedish team. Also we have two players in serie A, Italy, mf and goalkeeper. Sebastian Larsson, former Sunderland and Hull player is always in the starting eleven. Nowadays he plays in the swedish leauge. Niclas is better than Larsson eight days a week. Sebastian Larsson would not be on the bench If he was a Cityplayer. Our national team have played good and we are making progress.Eliasson should make an impact in the swedish team.

8 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Disagree with that 10 men comment. He offers absolutely loads in his work rate. So even on a day when his end product is not at its best, he does so much for the team. Palmer is probably one I'd say might as well have 10 men when he's off his game, as he doesn't offer the work rate to make up for it.

Agree he was poor when coming on. But not really seen him play poorly much this season. Fans love Weimann even when he has a bad game with the ball at his feet because he works so hard for the team. But not O'Dowda when he works his socks off too. 

But it's fine to not rate a player, or feel they are underachieving. But the comments at times about him are way too harsh imo.

See, although I see him running about loads I rarely see him do anything useful, Wieman tracks back, defends pulls defenders about with his movement so even when he has a poor game he contributes. COD does not, he can't defend, his movement is dismal, he is the very definition of a headless chicken, he just randomly runs around, he's not creative. I would say other then Cardiff when he was decent that's the only "good" game I've seen him have for god knows how long, and even then he was at best a 7 out of 10.

16 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’ve called for Elliasson to start for ages. To me his crosses are as good as Beckham’s were in open play - I’d love to see how good his free kicks are.........

I have noticed that his crosses are zipping in as well as the swerve he always had, maybe he has increased the power he can get on the ball, in which case his free kicks could be interesting.

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I have noticed that his crosses are zipping in as well as the swerve he always had, maybe he has increased the power he can get on the ball, in which case his free kicks could be interesting.

Lee - thanks for listening to me about starting Nicolas - now please let NE take the next free kick within realistic scoring distance...!

1 hour ago, Spud55 said:

See, although I see him running about loads I rarely see him do anything useful, Wieman tracks back, defends pulls defenders about with his movement so even when he has a poor game he contributes. COD does not, he can't defend, his movement is dismal, he is the very definition of a headless chicken, he just randomly runs around, he's not creative. I would say other then Cardiff when he was decent that's the only "good" game I've seen him have for god knows how long, and even then he was at best a 7 out of 10.

I think his running against Swansea was key to pushing them back first half. So it's not just running around like a headless chicken. He presses players constantly. Fantastic stamina and work rate. Different role to Weimann who is more free playing off of Diedhiou further forward.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Aaaah, do you remember back when he was being held up as another example of our terrible recruitment policy? People claiming he had only ever been good at 5 a side football etc. We could have bought a "proven" 30 year old instead,  one for the future apparently meant in 10 games time for some. Even some of Swedish friends saying there were better players we could have bought and everyone in Sweden was shocked when we bought him. 

Tommy was not impressed with Eliasson played in AIK, Tommys swedish team. Niclas moved to IFK Norrköping and there saw their manager Eliassons potential. He was very good in IFK Norrköping and played in the swedish U-21 team.

I think you are thinking about Engvall, Eliasson was king off assists in Sweden and we knew it!

I think you are thinking about Engvall, Eliasson was king off assists in Sweden and we knew it!

10 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Banged on for ages about how he should start on the left hand side. Hope Paterson returning doesn't make LJ move him back out right and Paterson on the left!

New contract would be nice, but Eliasson wasn't happy with his game time last season so I expect he's waiting to see if this spell in the side continues.  

Not necessarily ages for me, but analysis of his assists (especially open play) show he’s more effective from the left, for the amount of minutes he’s played there.

It wouldn’t surprise me if talks have been going, on but after last season’s contract talks with O’Dowda, that were too public, perhaps we are being more covert.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not necessarily ages for me, but analysis of his assists (especially open play) show he’s more effective from the left, for the amount of minutes he’s played there.

It wouldn’t surprise me if talks have been going, on but after last season’s contract talks with O’Dowda, that were too public, perhaps we are being more covert.

I think it helps the players who are attacking the ball when he’s on the left. Means they don’t have to hold their runs while he cuts back when on the right. Really enjoying seeing him out there! 

Archived