Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Olé

Match Report: Johnson's fifth straight win at Craven Cottage may be the best

Recommended Posts

To nullify the Championship's best 'footballing' team and its top striker with incredible work rate and the self belief of Titans, demonstrates that City are on the march to the play-offs.

A great report Rob and I look forward to seeing you at Sheffield Wednesday.

Happy NagMas! (It'll catch on, trust me)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody great that was, Rob, I always feel like I've been there and seen the game after reading your reports.

Incredible to think we've won 5 on the bounce at Fulham.  They must dread being in the same league as us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another outstanding analysis.  I always look forward to your match reports as the definitive take on the days events..............and with Xmas imminent, my appetite awaits lots more "Mercurial Swedes" please !! 😇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone was brilliant. Couldn't fault a single one. With this set up we are playing some very good football and the second goal was a thing of beauty. 

Thought while Fuhlam played some tidy stuff it normally ended with a hopeful cross towards Mitrovic which we delt with more often than not. Surprisingly one dimensional. And awful gamesmanship. 

Two home games coming up. Looking in a very good position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally agree with ratings though you'd clearly had some After Eights before posting! 

My minor changes would be AW 7, Fam 8.5 and a note that CoD was dangerous when he came on-at the wrong end so a 5

See you Tuesday 

Edited by Hampshire Red
Thping error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After 2 years of negative defensive , quite honestly crap. this was a proper step-up. I have not liked LJ because I have seen no sense of approach, play that was integrated with the recruitment policy. Basically, no identity. This game was as close to the way we played 2 years and a bit a go, when I thought we had got it . I am not even sure sure LJ planned this, he has set the team up to play such random ways over these years. Whatever, LJ sort your head out man, and lets have more of the Fulham approach. We have a squad, wage bill and resources thst is is top 6. LJ has to show more conviction to an approach, stop tinkering. Believe in something and go for it . Fulham was an awesome performance. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Aubergine 5
  • Unicorn 2
  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

After 2 years of negative defensive , quite honestly crap. this was a proper step-up. I have not liked LJ because I have seen no sense of approach, play that was integrated with the recruitment policy. Basically, no identity. This game was as close to the way we played 2 years and a bit a go, when I thought we had got it . I am not even sure sure LJ planned this, he has set the team up to play such random ways over these years. Whatever, LJ sort your head out man, and lets have more of the Fulham approach. We have a squad, wage bill and resources thst is is top 6. LJ has to show more conviction to an approach, stop tinkering. Believe in something and go for it . Fulham was an awesome performance. 

Not even close.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Port Said Red said:

Not even close.

Well, it is actually. Others have got promoted with less. Stop making excuses. It is pathetic cop out. It is harder than with parachute payments, yes. But, others have done it. Of non parachute payment clubs we are there and some. Not easy, agreed, but we cannot keep suggesting we are the poor relations. Leeds are our reference for the season. We are doing well. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

After 2 years of negative defensive , quite honestly crap. this was a proper step-up. I have not liked LJ because I have seen no sense of approach, play that was integrated with the recruitment policy. Basically, no identity. This game was as close to the way we played 2 years and a bit a go, when I thought we had got it . I am not even sure sure LJ planned this, he has set the team up to play such random ways over these years. Whatever, LJ sort your head out man, and lets have more of the Fulham approach. We have a squad, wage bill and resources thst is is top 6. LJ has to show more conviction to an approach, stop tinkering. Believe in something and go for it . Fulham was an awesome performance. 

The last two games have been very different in style and attitude and I reckon LJ has finally found an 11 he trusts to play to his design. 
Two of those summer signings Nagy and Massengo have made a significant difference in midfield but it’s only been recently that Nagy has been available after his injury. LJ has been ‘tinkering’ as you put it to cope with various injuries.

I think LJ has always had a plan of how he wants to play but until recently he hasn’t had the players available to implement it and now he has.

Not only we’re City excellent at Fulham yesterday they were also excellent against the Terriers scoring 5 goals for the first time this season.

Lets hope that we’ll get to see the same excellent performances on a more frequent basis...........

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

COD ridiculously showed Kebano onto his right foot for their goal and almost ****** it with their penalty. 

He's gone from being an exciting prospect two years ago to a player who looks a level behind. Maybe he's short on confidence (why?) or related to Tony Dinning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finest team performance in many a year, right team set-up, players up for it, excellent commitment and workrate and we've one or two players who really can play. 

We deserved to win, were better on the day than Fulham, our central mids bossed them out of it and we defended with control and composure. Add in quality goals and what's not to like?

We could have done without CoD coming on as that did nearly cost us (I thought it a pen from the away end and two mates who ended up directly in front of it at the end too thought it a pen.) But they didn't deserve it. I thought the ref overall had a decent game save for the end where he should have sent off a couple of their players for continued Infringements, including the two who picked up the overacting Bloke from Knowle at the end.

Enjoyable to say the least....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Best performance at the Cottage under Johnson has to be the 2-0 in the 17-18 season. Reid and the midfield were electric in the first half. 

May be true but the absolute best win at Fulham is the latest. It is relevant while years past are just nostalgia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

May be true but the absolute best win at Fulham is the latest. It is relevant while years past are just nostalgia.

Nostalgis is not what it used to be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Well, it is actually. Others have got promoted with less. Stop making excuses. It is pathetic cop out. It is harder than with parachute payments, yes. But, others have done it. Of non parachute payment clubs we are there and some. Not easy, agreed, but we cannot keep suggesting we are the poor relations. Leeds are our reference for the season. We are doing well. 

I am not making excuses, you are attempting to belittle the progress we have made by claiming it’s all about money. We are spending money there is no doubt, but there are plenty of others who had/have more money, not doing as well. 
You accuse me of using a “a pathetic cop out”, well I think it’s more pathetic to suggest that anyone could the job with the money available. 
Take a look at the FFP thread if you want to see money being spent with little return, or if you want to see how many rules were bent or even broken by teams like Bournemouth, who are often used as an example of a little team doing better than us.

 

image.png.feab046f7d78df5154f2b334f6905206.png

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

No future in history.

Unless you are Marty McFly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Well, it is actually. Others have got promoted with less. Stop making excuses. It is pathetic cop out. 

What you’re calling an excuse is someone quite rightly pointing out that what you said is totally wrong.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to know billy has his facts wrong as well as his opinions! Blimey, that's easily the most negative 'contribution' ive ever read on this forum describing one of the best coaches in the league. 

How many games will be like Fulham? Not many of the 50 we'll  see this season so let's all hope wedlock doesnt use that as the norm, else the future posts could be suicidal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Shtanley said:

COD ridiculously showed Kebano onto his right foot for their goal and almost ****** it with their penalty. 

That single incident for the first goal is COD in a nutshell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am not making excuses, you are attempting to belittle the progress we have made by claiming it’s all about money. We are spending money there is no doubt, but there are plenty of others who had/have more money, not doing as well. 
You accuse me of using a “a pathetic cop out”, well I think it’s more pathetic to suggest that anyone could the job with the money available. 
Take a look at the FFP thread if you want to see money being spent with little return, or if you want to see how many rules were bent or even broken by teams like Bournemouth, who are often used as an example of a little team doing better than us.

 

image.png.feab046f7d78df5154f2b334f6905206.png

Given Reading haven't been in the Prem for ages, how does that wage bill get paid for within the rules? No way can their turnover be higher than ours. 

Have they ploughed player sales back into wages? That'll end only one way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit off topic, but that was JB's 5th league goal in 20 games. Last season he also scored 5 but in 45 games.

Makes me wonder if he'll reach 10 goals this season. Can't think off the top of my head the last time we had a midfielder score 10+ goals 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sturny said:

A bit off topic, but that was JB's 5th league goal in 20 games. Last season he also scored 5 but in 45 games.

Makes me wonder if he'll reach 10 goals this season. Can't think off the top of my head the last time we had a midfielder score 10+ goals 

Last midfielder to do so was Scott Murray in 2005/6. Luke Wilkshire the year before too. 

Last central midfielder? No idea. 

Obviously since then we have had a central defender score 14 though. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

Two home games coming up. Looking in a very good position.

Millwall only one defeat in six will be their usual 'awkward selves..

And Blackburn are currently 'on fire.

Can see us losing one of these.

Edited by Robert the bruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Millwall only one defeat in six will be their usual 'awkward selves..

And Blackburn are currently 'on fire.

Can see us losing one of these.

That's the spirit!

  • Haha 3
  • Unicorn 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Given Reading haven't been in the Prem for ages, how does that wage bill get paid for within the rules? No way can their turnover be higher than ours. 

Have they ploughed player sales back into wages? That'll end only one way. 

It's a 3 year rolling thing and they had 4 years of parachute payments.

Parachute Payments ran until 2016/17 from 2013/14- in the prior 3 seasons they are within FFP but we don't yet know their results for 2018/19- suspect they'll breach it this season- those accounts are for I believe 2017/18.

Ours could be for 2017/18 or 2018-19- some very diligent clubs such as us and Hull have already released their accounts- most have not! May well be a mishmash of data in that list.

@Port Said Red was that chart online somewhere? Would be worth a quick look at the link and site for context.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from a great City performance, and yet another win at Fulham, I thought it was a fantastic game to watch - some really top class players on both sides and some great football by both teams.

Diedhiou so deserved the goal; I thought it was one of his best games in a City shirt - a constant threat, a physical presence they struggled with, but also some great first touches. 

Can't say more than has already been said about that Massengo Nagy partnership - brilliant. And giving JB the space he's able to use so well. 

Not sure about the pen - too far away at the time, and not seen a good angle since. But I dont think the ref did us lots of favours: he consistently allowed them to give our players a little push/nudge just as they are about to receive a pass or aerial ball. And Cairney's yellow should have been his second: an earlier blatant and deliberate foul on Massengo, which he (rightly) played advantage for, but clearly signalled to Cairney that he was in trouble, and it warranted a booking. However, play went on for a good couple of minutes without a further stop, and ended with our second goal - at which point the ref seemed to have forgotten!

Chatting to a Fulham fan on the tube afterwards, he commented on how LJ always seems to do a job on Fulham at their place, but can't repeat the tactical success in the return fixture - it will be interesting what happens in the home game. Fulham definitely have the ability to be top 6 this season. Such a shame that several of their players seem to come with so many bad habits from the Prem, surrounding refs, constant moaning etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Millwall only one defeat in six will be their usual 'awkward selves..

And Blackburn are currently 'on fire.

Can see us losing one of these.

Their matches have not been against the best sides in the league. They’ve been fortunate in their last six , Forest being the toughest match on paper .

We should have enough to turn them over .

Fulham had won four straight games before Saturday so they were ‘ on fire ‘ .We put it out for them and can do v Blackburn.

This wonderful division is capable of throwing up bizarre results  bottom beating top etc . on a regular basis so we take nothing for granted. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not the next game, but the next but one- but do have a slight worry about Blackburn.

5 wins in 6, though vs varied opposition and 4 of these at home- but their squad, it's not bad! People say it's all about Dack and he is their star of course, but they have some nice depth and a good range IMO.

Downing at LB certainly could be a good weakness to exploit though! Looking at their side Saturday though, the likes of Williams, Cunningham, Johnson, Holtby and possibly useful options in Brereton and Gallagher- all not starting.  Good range there- under the radar a bit possibly given our usual struggles v Millwall but maybe trickier than we think.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...