IGNORED

Second Ten

Grey Fox

24 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Second set of ten games brings in eighteen points (17 for the first 10) , very close to two per game. Great start to the season, and imo other than WBA , Leeds and Fulham, there really is no one we should fear.

Think we might enjoy 2020

CoURs

Keeping to the 1.7 average required to make the play offs, and maybe taking it a step higher in the next ten. Quite amazing considering a few seemed to think we had blown our chances of promotion in November. :whistle:

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Keeping to the 1.7 average required to make the play offs, and maybe taking it a step higher in the next ten. Quite amazing considering a few seemed to think we had blown our chances of promotion in November. :whistle:

.. and a single defeat at West Brom brought out the prophets of doom!

39 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

5 wins, Fulham, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Charlton, Reading

3 draws, Barnsley, Wigan, Forest

2 defeats, WBA, Luton

Glad we've reduced the number of draws

Indeed, although not seeing back to back defeats once in 20 games is the massive and marked sign of progress that we’ve seen this season. 
And only1 defeat against a side outside the top 2. 

Let’s see where it takes us. It’s starting to get quite exciting..! 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, streaky Johnson is finding away to respond to a defeat.

DF329DE9-7C56-4BEE-89A9-537DFA01F810.thumb.jpeg.3f9b8b2b93f8213d42781948e156d3f3.jpeg

On two of the occasions we’ve lost (Luton and West Brom) we’ve hit right back with a win. An unbeaten 10 game run (5w 5d), a 5 game run (2w 3d), are we about to see another?

It never EVER works like this, but I like our run of fixtures up until Leeds away... ?

What’s significant for me is that we are, I believe, 9 points better off than we were after 20 games last year.  This means that if we were to match what we achieved in the last 26 games last year, we would finish on 79 points.  Do better than we did last year (and it feels to me that we should do better) and it’s 80+ points.  For me, that suggests that the playoffs are highly achievable.

19 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What’s significant for me is that we are, I believe, 9 points better off than we were after 20 games last year.  This means that if we were to match what we achieved in the last 26 games last year, we would finish on 79 points.  Do better than we did last year (and it feels to me that we should do better) and it’s 80+ points.  For me, that suggests that the playoffs are highly achievable.

Don't forget we did win 7 on the bounce last year that is unlikely to be replicated. Probably best to compare like for like after 30 games. Having said that we are a stronger squad , playing better football and we are imo one of the better teams in the division.

5 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Don't forget we did win 7 on the bounce last year that is unlikely to be replicated. Probably best to compare like for like after 30 games. Having said that we are a stronger squad , playing better football and we are imo one of the better teams in the division.

Very true.

But we do have two home games coming up which, if we were to win, would give us four on the bounce and cement 3rd or 4th.

On the other hand....

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

i'd take 4 points now, if offered for the next 2 home games.

I wouldn't, considering the last couple of games.

We need to take advantage of this current form.

Blackburn are in a good run of form themselves winning the last four (just like Fulham) so a win against them keeps them at arms length and cements our top four place. We have to go for it.

52 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

It never EVER works like this, but I like our run of fixtures up until Leeds away... ?

Yeah, the next block of ten looks very favourable. It's a nice run of games to go into with confidence high and fewer injuries.

11 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

i'd take 4 points now, if offered for the next 2 home games.

Absolutely, Blackburn are 3rd in the last 6 form guide with 15 points and Millwall are 11th with 9 points, only 2 less than us who are 7th on 11 points, so will be two tight games I think but we have the home advantage which hopefully will give us the edge

Form Guide P +/- Pts
1 West Bromwich Albion 6 +12 18
2 Leeds United 6 +11 18
3 Blackburn Rovers 6 +4 15
4 Cardiff City 6 +4 13
5 Fulham 6 +2 12
6 Nottingham Forest 6 +5 11
7 Bristol City 6 +2 11
8 Hull City 6 +5 10
9 Brentford 6 +8 9
10 Reading 6 +3 9
11 Millwall 6 +1 9
12 Sheffield Wednesday 6 +1 8

On 08/12/2019 at 09:49, Leveller said:

.. and a single defeat at West Brom brought out the prophets of doom!

I don't think that's quite right...

There was a clear drop in form prior to WBA humiliation. We just didn't look good and endured disappointment vs lower opposition. 

Had Johnson not decided to change our formation, line up and attacking intent vs Hudds and Fulham, we might now be mid-table and bemoaning our disappointing start to the season.

Most of us could see that something had to change after Brom and thankfully Johnson not only saw it too but also made the exact changes needed.

So 30 games in and we are one point behind the magic 1.7 points average to make the play offs, this despite a pretty miserable Xmas period. 
It would easy to say if only we had done better here or there, we’d be top, but every team except West Brom must be thinking that way. 
We have teams below us who had leaped ahead, we have Leeds imploding as usual, there is a huge chance here, let’s get behind the team and the coach and get this done.

Interesting how consistent we've been over the last 3 seasons after 30 games.  Our 3 new recuits may make all the difference this year (here's hoping).

Current vs previous seasons records (first 30 matches only)

england.png Bristol City after 30 matches in the same league / division
  GP W D L GF GA Pts * Comparison
2019-2020 30 14 8 8 44 40 50 -
2018-2019 30 14 8 8 38 29 50 0 pts
2017-2018 30 14 9 7 42 33 51 -1 pts
2016-2017 30 9 5 16 41 44 32 + 18 pts
2015-2016 30 6 10 14 25 47 28 + 22 pts
2012-2013 30 8 4 18 42 58 28 + 22 pts
2011-2012 30 8 6 16 25 44 30 + 20 pts
2010-2011 30 9 8 13 35 44 35 + 15 pts

Archived