IGNORED

Game Management

martnewts

Following seeing out yesterday’s win and other occasions have we finally discovered the art of game management (or shithousery as some would call it).

it seems teams like Preston and Cardiff have been doing it to us for years and we are finally holding our own.

The number of yellow cards Fulham picked up yesterday at the end was a great illustration of how we had frustrated them.

Bentley and Famara’s late injuries being an example.

I’m not sure whether there should have been more punishment for the Fulham players who picked up fam when he was injured to ensure that he was off the pitch to receive treatment. That just doesn’t seem acceptable to me what if they had caused him further injury?

1 hour ago, Tears in rain said:

Just a thought but the Ref added on nearly another 3 or 4 minutes on top of the added time, so does it make that much of a difference? 

Maybe, but it’s not just about wasting time. It’s trying to disrupt the flow of the game and and the momentum of the opposition. I love it! We don’t do it nearly enough!!

2 hours ago, Kibs said:

Maybe, but it’s not just about wasting time. It’s trying to disrupt the flow of the game and and the momentum of the opposition. I love it! We don’t do it nearly enough!!

This is true and the other side of it as well.

Time gets added like I mentioned but you have broken the game up so many times it’s hard to sustain pressure. 

Agreed we have never been very good at it and the amount of times I’ve seen do it to us is countless! 

One other thing about trying to sew the game up, was the sub of Eliasson for O’Dowda.  This is not a criticism of Callum, more that not only did LJ change a player he changed where they were playing too.  Weimann went out left, O’Dowda right, went 451 too.  Just meant players having different roles, different opponents, etc.  Might LJ have been better to just do a straight swap?

5 hours ago, Tears in rain said:

Just a thought but the Ref added on nearly another 3 or 4 minutes on top of the added time, so does it make that much of a difference? 

Its not just about the time though, its about momentum which is the bigger factor for me. On top of that it frustrates opposition and they start making poor decisions as they (Fulham) did yesterday!

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One other thing about trying to sew the game up, was the sub of Eliasson for O’Dowda.  This is not a criticism of Callum, more that not only did LJ change a player he changed where they were playing too.  Weimann went out left, O’Dowda right, went 451 too.  Just meant players having different roles, different opponents, etc.  Might LJ have been better to just do a straight swap?

That was a very strange substitution. The obvious one was to swap Eliasson for Taylor Moore and go 532 to counter their increasing aerial threat.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This. I understood why he replaced Elliason with COD. While he has been poor, hes still better defensively ( Not great) but to then switch Weimann out to left it's just moving people around for the sake off it. It stunk off Barnsley a few weeks back. And let's be honest we were very lucky not to concede at the end. 

Cardiff was a different matter where we looked very comfortable.

33 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

That was a very strange substitution. The obvious one was to swap Eliasson for Taylor Moore and go 532 to counter their increasing aerial threat.

Strange to fans who seem to think that they’d have made different choices. What they overlook is that LJ and his coaches work all week in training on different shapes and formations frequently with individual groups of players.

When LJ subbed Eliasson at AG recently he got a very negative reaction from the stands - Eliasson was the most impressive City player upto that point in the game.

Post match LJ acknowledged the reaction he got and explained that he and the coaches had been working with CoD on a particular shape/formation and why he brought him on in the latter stages - game management if you like and I guess that was what behind the ‘strange’ substitution mentioned at Craven Cottage.

Bottom line - none of us are privy to the training strategies at Failand but you can be sure that LJ doesn’t make pointless substitutions. There are always tactical/reasoned thinking behind them.

23 hours ago, martnewts said:

Following seeing out yesterday’s win and other occasions have we finally discovered the art of game management (or shithousery as some would call it).

it seems teams like Preston and Cardiff have been doing it to us for years and we are finally holding our own.

The number of yellow cards Fulham picked up yesterday at the end was a great illustration of how we had frustrated them.

Bentley and Famara’s late injuries being an example.

I’m not sure whether there should have been more punishment for the Fulham players who picked up fam when he was injured to ensure that he was off the pitch to receive treatment. That just doesn’t seem acceptable to me what if they had caused him further injury?

The irony if Fam was faking injury then got carried off the pitch by Fulham players and then actually got injured!

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Strange to fans who seem to think that they’d have made different choices. What they overlook is that LJ and his coaches work all week in training on different shapes and formations frequently with individual groups of players.

When LJ subbed Eliasson at AG recently he got a very negative reaction from the stands - Eliasson was the most impressive City player upto that point in the game.

Post match LJ acknowledged the reaction he got and explained that he and the coaches had been working with CoD on a particular shape/formation and why he brought him on in the latter stages - game management if you like and I guess that was what behind the ‘strange’ substitution mentioned at Craven Cottage.

Bottom line - none of us are privy to the training strategies at Failand but you can be sure that LJ doesn’t make pointless substitutions. There are always tactical/reasoned thinking behind them.

So what you're saying he never gets anything wrong and that there is no point debating any alternate methods?

May aswell pack this place up then? 

I'm sure Johnson would admit he has got quite a few things wrong since hes been here. And I'm sure people on here may have suggested alternate ideas which have proved to be correct. 

The world would be a pretty boring place if people didn't share their opinions. I seem to remenber you constantly criticising GJ ( led us to highest position in how long?) Were you wrong to do so considering he has badges and sees the players day in day out???

10 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

So what you're saying he never gets anything wrong and that there is no point debating any alternate methods

I'm sure Johnson would admit he has got quite a few things wrong since hes been here. And I'm sure people on here may have suggested alternate ideas which have proved to be correct. 

The world would be a pretty boring place if people didn't share their opinions. I seem to remenber you constantly criticising GJ ( led us to highest position in how long?) Were you wrong to do so considering he has badges and sees the players day in day out???

All managers make errors from time to time and none of them ever admit it! However unlike many other managers LJ does make the effort to explain some of his decisions post match and that’s a quality I admire 

I also doubt very much that LJ reads otib to get some ideas on what he would/could/should have done..............:cool2:

He and his assistants are fully qualified coaches, all former professionals who know and understand the beautiful game far better than the average fan who are essentially layman. It’s their full time  job for which they’re richly rewarded.

Like SL I have faith in LJ to get us to the PL and if in doing that makes ‘strange’ substitutions that none of understand then that’s okay with me.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

All managers make errors from time to time and none of them ever admit it! However unlike many other managers LJ does make the effort to explain some of his decisions post match and that’s a quality I admire 

I also doubt very much that LJ reads otib to get some ideas on what he would/could/should have done..............:cool2:

He and his assistants are fully qualified coaches, all former professionals who know and understand the beautiful game far better than the average fan who are essentially layman. It’s their full time  job for which they’re richly rewarded.

Like SL I have faith in LJ to get us to the PL and if in doing that makes ‘strange’ substitutions that none of understand then that’s okay with me.

So you never questioned GJ decisions? Yes or no? 

Just now, BCFC Grim said:

So you never questioned GJ decisions? Yes or no? 

Of course I did but then I had zero faith in GJ. The guy was full of bluff and hot air in my opinion - but that was ages ago.

I do chuckle tho when I see posters complaining about LJ playing  boring, uninspired and pedestrian football............:rofl2br:

You couldn’t make it up, you really couldn’t.

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of course I did but then I had zero faith in GJ. The guy was full of bluff and hot air in my opinion - but that was ages ago.

I do chuckle tho when I see posters complaining about LJ playing  boring, uninspired and pedestrian football............:rofl2br:

I rest my case. You're a hypocrite. 

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Bluff and hot air, but able to get a squad, man for man less talented than our current squad and all the squads LJ has had, to within 90 minutes of the premier league. 

Yes, GJ has his limitations and a championship play off final was the pinnacle of his career. That, together with  his achievement in taking a non-league club to the championship is one deserving of very much more than being called "just a conference manager".

I like the progress LJ has been making and hope this will continue, but at the time of writing, and with more resources than GJ had, LJ has yet to match his Dad's achievement here - unless he pulls you into his office for a dressing down!  :)

20 hours ago, Tears in rain said:

This is true and the other side of it as well.

Time gets added like I mentioned but you have broken the game up so many times it’s hard to sustain pressure. 

Agreed we have never been very good at it and the amount of times I’ve seen do it to us is countless! 

Tbh the time doesn't usually get added. Saturdays game should be seen in isolation not the norm as very rarely does a ref go beyond what is shown on the board. 

38 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Rather than swapping Eliasson for COD, I would have stopped them playing by swapping Fam for Korey Smith.

The other thing we should do is keep possession a lot better when we are holding onto a lead.  We always give the ball away much too easily compared with opponents who do that to us.

I suppose the arguement is that CODs pace can be problematic against a tired side, able to run the ball into corners etc. 

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Bluff and hot air, but able to get a squad, man for man less talented than our current squad and all the squads LJ has had, to within 90 minutes of the premier league. 

Yes, GJ has his limitations and a championship play off final was the pinnacle of his career. That, together with  his achievement in taking a non-league club to the championship is one deserving of very much more than being called "just a conference manager".

I like the progress LJ has been making and hope this will continue, but at the time of writing, and with more resources than GJ had, LJ has yet to match his Dad's achievement here - unless he pulls you into his office for a dressing down!  :)

My NY resolution this year is only one that I’ve ever been able to keep. It was not to engage in any threads regarding GJ and I’m not going to break it so late in the year................:cool2:

Dan Bentley - not only a top keeper, but shithouses with the best of them. Particularly in the last 5 minutes, walking parallel to where the ball had gone out of play to have it thrown back to him was genius, as even when their striker ran and placed the ball back on the line to restart Dan ambled back to take the kick. Hero. Cannot underestimate how important those things are in such a close game and league 

Archived