IGNORED

What should the club do with Ashley Williams

DT The Optimist

Wow.  What a signing.  A few posts around the time he signed were negative, legs gone,  not up to Championship standard, whys he not got a club etc   Fans from ex clubs etc added twopence worth with a  general vibe  he is not up to it. 

Now LJ and MA have a dilemma .  Proved all doubters totally wrong and not pushing the boat out, but is he the first choice centre back fitness etc allowing.   Leaving Kalas, N B and BW to scrap for next berth ?AND of course TM.  
should we aim to keep him even longer, against the mould and club stance, but apart from salary has cost us nothing.  Got to be worth another year ?

19 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Would imagine that for as long as he has an international career he will want to be playing. Either for us, or someone else.

They extended his contract until the end of this season didn't they.

They did, but add another year ? Championship still next season no issue and even perhaps if by chance we reached the promised land ?

No rush - the guy was quite chilled before the extension about if/when it happens there is no reason to flap now and jump the gun.

See where we are in March and whether top 6 is still a possibility and what role he can realistically fill in 20/21 season.

If we are still a championship club I think we will be his first choice even if the likes of Swansea suddenly show interest.

He's been huge for us, especially with Kalas being out. A lot of our success has been built on the 2 (or 3 CBs) plus the exceptional Bentley. Every game we are being out shot, but the defence are making sure that even though the opposition are taking more shots, those shots are of poor quality and are therefore either misses or are more easily dealt with by Bentley.

It's just as vital as Eliasson's crosses or our midfield press.

He definitely could do another year if he wants.

Just now, Leveller said:

For all the positive views, our defensive record is actually poor, and we’re doing well because we’re scoring plenty.

We had an injury to every single defender this season apart from Williams I think we should be a little less harsh on the defence 

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Williams has a short term contract, hasn’t he? I could be mistaken  but it may expire in January. In which case extend it until the end of the season.

After that Williams could get a coaching job pretty much anywhere. 

C’mon, keep up:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/williams-extends-city-stay/

If we are serious then William's should only be here for one season....doing win excellent job but moving forward there are longer term better options. Deal until the summer and then say our goodbyes and thanks for the so far excellent job hes done.

3 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Got to be worth another year

Yep,,for sure - but with everyone fit I wouldn't be starting him with the exception of course in "horses for courses"..

He's been a good thing for us but am I the only one with reservations about his mobility??....slow to react at times & easily turned.

I’m pretty sure his home is still in the Swansea area so I’d expect he’s happy to be playing for a club relatively close to home and can’t expect him to be on silly wages. He seems to be excellent with helping the other defenders and generally being around the club so could see him staying at the club next season even if he isn’t playing as much just to have his presence and perhaps start a bit of coaching and see how that goes as well.

Give him another year - easy decision. Even if we get promoted.

I think people overstate the impact a players age has, unless you’re a rapid winger or totally reliant on pace - it doesn’t always make a huge difference. For some players, like centre halves, their defensive awareness and positioning improve with experience. 

I imagine off the pitch he’s great too. You can’t buy experience like that. Look at the impact Wilbraham had.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Give him another year - easy decision. Even if we get promoted.

I think people overstate the impact a players age has, unless you’re a rapid winger or totally reliant on pace - it doesn’t always make a huge difference. For some players, like centre halves, their defensive awareness and positioning improve with experience. 

I imagine off the pitch he’s great too. You can’t buy experience like that. Look at the impact Wilbraham had.

Gains himself yards by his fantastic reading of the game.

I've watched him closely some games, and he makes it look so easy...just by experience and awareness of where to be. It's instinctive...never rushed.

Also has great body positioning that also gains him a yard.

I'd offer a new contract, whatever league.

1 year rolling contract - definitely if we are still in the Championship next season. As long as he stays fit he’s a huge asset. 

If and I mean IF we get promoted then a player/coach roll would be ideal for US, but as someone has already pointed out, as long as he is in the Wales squad he will want to continue playing, so would probably opt to stay in the Championship where he would be guaranteed playing time. 

As one of the Williams naysayers I have eaten my hat several times and for me he was our MOM yet again on Saturday. I would still be cautious re extending his contract particularly if we go up. He was truly awful at Everton and seemed out of his depth in that league. If we stay in the Championship it is a no brainer, give him another year.

I'm not sure about the coach role as I don't know if he's a good coach. Can't just give every quality older player we ever have a coaching role!

As a player, absolutely another season.

Archived