IGNORED

What should the club do with Ashley Williams

DT The Optimist

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Gains himself yards by his fantastic reading of the game.

I've watched him closely some games, and he makes it look so easy...just by experience and awareness of where to be. It's instinctive...never rushed.

Also has great body positioning that also gains him a yard.

I'd offer a new contract, whatever league.

As a CB in my playing days, I watch the defenders closely.  He not only reads the game well, he covers well, even if ultimately he’s not needed to cover.  Brave, calm, with an edge to him.  Exactly what you want.

He’s been our best player in quite a few games.

what people over look is form. He was not in great form at Everton and Stoke couldn’t get a decent game out of Lionel Messi. The guy is bang in form and desperate to play in the Euros. He’s going to give it everything to make sure Giggs has to pick him. Then of course there is a World Cup campaign. My personal thought is give him another year regardless of where we are. If we don’t go up he’s excellent if we do his experience up the league will be invaluable to everyone!

11 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Wow.  What a signing.  A few posts around the time he signed were negative, legs gone,  not up to Championship standard, whys he not got a club etc   Fans from ex clubs etc added twopence worth with a  general vibe  he is not up to it. 

Now LJ and MA have a dilemma .  Proved all doubters totally wrong and not pushing the boat out, but is he the first choice centre back fitness etc allowing.   Leaving Kalas, N B and BW to scrap for next berth ?AND of course TM.  
should we aim to keep him even longer, against the mould and club stance, but apart from salary has cost us nothing.  Got to be worth another year ?

I find this post an appalling lack of respect to Ashley Williams, You talk of him as an object something to either keep or trade...'got to be worth another year'?  How do you think the man feels about wanting to stay or not, please remember who we are, Bristol City not some big bollards club who horse trade players.

Wait and see where we are at the end of the season.

I have no idea what coaching badges he has or hasn't got (so he might be an unqualified coach, and Macca was a defender, who is qualified).

If we were lucky enough to get promoted, I'd be looking for an upgrade ... Webster?

If we stay in the Championship, he might be perfect, if 12 months older.

Coaching roles were offered to Alby and Elliot, both decided against it.

Exactly what we needed even at this stage of his career. You can see he has the hunger, ability and attitude. A genuine winner and warrior with no little quality. His reading of the game is excellent and he seems a real leader pushing everyone on. Better than I expected by some distance 

34 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wait and see where we are at the end of the season.

I have no idea what coaching badges he has or hasn't got (so he might be an unqualified coach, and Macca was a defender, who is qualified).

If we were lucky enough to get promoted, I'd be looking for an upgrade ... Webster?

If we stay in the Championship, he might be perfect, if 12 months older.

Coaching roles were offered to Alby and Elliot, both decided against it.

Both accepted and then changed their minds!!!

14 minutes ago, martnewts said:

Interesting didn’t know they both had. Think I knew Wilbs had a preference for another playing contract up north. But didn’t know about Wade

Yes, Wade actually started the 15/16 as Academy Manager, then actually was joint manager with Pembo when Cotts was sacked.  Left at the end of that season to go to FGR.

Albie accepted player-coach contact, only for Bolton to come in and tempt him away....proved he still had years left in his legs!!!

Archived