IGNORED

City in the top flight 76-80

Robbored

For us of a certain generation this book is an encyclopaedia of the four seasons City spent in the old first division 76-80. It’s truly fascinating and is full of photos, scores and matches, newspaper cuttings....ect, ect 

For me and I guess others that remember those days Its a real trip down memory lane.

Unfortunately the club turned down the request from the authors to sell the book in the club shop so it’s only available via the authors themselves. I have an email address if anyone is interested.

Its a hard back and a bargain at £25.

image.jpg

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Those were 4 great seasons along with the promotion season that preceded them.

Of all those games the one I seem to remember most was that infamous game at Highfield Road and the euphoric drive back home that incredible night.

That was an amazing day and amazing result. Sadly though one of my clearest memories was the injury to Cheesley in the next game. Took us a long time to recover from that.

7 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Those were 4 great seasons along with the promotion season that preceded them.

Of all those games the one I seem to remember most was that infamous game at Highfield Road and the euphoric drive back home that incredible night.

The coach i was due to go on did not turn up so i drove my clapped out mk1 cortina  paid £120 for it and the head lamps were held in place with gaffa tape it got me there and incredibly back home but died 2 days later with a seized engine when my old man pulled out the dipstick he looked at me and laughed you imbecile its bone dry theres no oil in it what an amazing night absolute scenes everywhere what fabulous memories ive been in love with this football club since 1967 and cant wait for the next chapter promotion to the premier league please !! ????

3 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Was going through my old programes yesterday.

Found the john shaw testimonal game vs west brom.

One of my brothers was the ipswich vs soton game for the ashton 8.

Two beauties there.

I recall this! Any chance you could scan the programme? (or sheet, as it likely was I guess!). 

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

They were both progames, but both didnt have many pages.

The ashton 8 one was not in the format of that seasons programe, which i think  had a player in a park furnishers top passing the ball.

Cider il will get them down when i get the chance.

The front of the ashton 8 one was white,

Thanks mate, I went to it but for the life on me I wouldn't have a clue where the programmes is now!

Whenever you have chance mate, is cool.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

For us of a certain generation this book is an encyclopaedia of the four seasons City spent in the old first division 76-80. It’s truly fascinating and is full of photos, scores and matches, newspaper cuttings....ect, ect 

For me and I guess others that remember those days Its a real trip down memory lane.

Unfortunately the club turned down the request from the authors to sell the book in the club shop so it’s only available via the authors themselves. I have an email address if anyone is interested.

Its a hard back and a bargain at £25.

image.jpg

It’s seems odd for the club to refuse to sell it. Was there some pricing issue?

1 hour ago, Banjo Island said:

The coach i was due to go on did not turn up so i drove my clapped out mk1 cortina  paid £120 for it and the head lamps were held in place with gaffa tape it got me there and incredibly back home but died 2 days later with a seized engine when my old man pulled out the dipstick he looked at me and laughed you imbecile its bone dry theres no oil in it what an amazing night absolute scenes everywhere what fabulous memories ive been in love with this football club since 1967 and cant wait for the next chapter promotion to the premier league please !! ????

Should have gone for a Ford Anglia. Mine (£200!) not only got me to every away game that first season, but also every home game which involved a round trip from Brighton. If it rained I got wet feet, but it kept going!

1 hour ago, Banjo Island said:

Yes, many on here who are happy with just staying in the championship or building slowly year on year forget there are many supporters who haven't got all the time in the world and would just like to see there beloved  team back representing the city we all love in the top flight.

Might be just me , but I found the fixture and team list pages a bit blurry, so much so that it can be difficult to read comfortably. Shame because its a great book otherwise. Only one player refused to get involved, until his wife finally talked him into it, and one other couldnt be traced. Disappeared off the face of the earth.

13 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Might be just me , but I found the fixture and team list pages a bit blurry, so much so that it can be difficult to read comfortably. Shame because its a great book otherwise. Only one player refused to get involved, until his wife finally talked him into it, and one other couldnt be traced. Disappeared off the face of the earth.

You obviously already have a copy.

That Leeds game though, Dec 1976, abandoned at half time due to the fog.....was in the East End with my Dad, couldn't see beyond the edge of the penalty area & only had the odd glimpse of the orange ball. Pretty much the last time i can call us having a game called off because of fog......

30 minutes ago, HanwellRed said:

That Leeds game though, Dec 1976, abandoned at half time due to the fog.....was in the East End with my Dad, couldn't see beyond the edge of the penalty area & only had the odd glimpse of the orange ball. Pretty much the last time i can call us having a game called off because of fog......

I vaguely remember another AG game getting abandoned thru fog.......against the Owls iirc. No idea of when it was tho.

30 minutes ago, HanwellRed said:

And as the game had reached half time tickets weren't refunded.

But that was a good thing according to Stephen Kew as the extra money from ticket sales for the rearranged game could boost funds available to strengthen the squad.

And people think Bristol Sport invented taking City fans for mugs.

1 hour ago, HanwellRed said:

I was there , we were doing ok . It didn’t help that Leeds were playing in all white . 

I couldn’t see much as the fog thickened but every now and again a vivid orange globe would appear out of nowhere.

I remember being really peeved that the match was called off .

I had to walk seven kilometers from West Harptree to Blagdon to get the coach . My whole day was wasted . 

I don’t remember how we did on the réorganised match but I felt we had a good chance of beating them the first time out . 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I was there , we were doing ok . It didn’t help that Leeds were playing in all white . 

I couldn’t see much as the fog thickened but every now and again a vivid orange globe would appear out of nowhere.

I remember being really peeved that the match was called off .

I had to walk seven kilometers from West Harptree to Blagdon to get the coach . My whole day was wasted . 

I don’t remember how we did on the réorganised match but I felt we had a good chance of beating them the first time out . 

Beat them 2.0 I think

5 hours ago, extonsred said:

That was an amazing day and amazing result. Sadly though one of my clearest memories was the injury to Cheesley in the next game. Took us a long time to recover from that.

I think you have got Highfield Road (Coventry) mixed up with Highbury (Arsenal). Paul Cheesley was injured on the Tuesday at Stoke following the Arsenal season opener at Highbury in our first season in the top division.

Here it is..........

Thanks Alan. I really appreciate you putting it on the site. Hopefully someone will find it interesting and get in touch.

“I went down down to the city shop three times and left details. I was given numbers of two people in the office who never got back to me. I sent scans of the book to the email the city shop gave me and got no reply.

Apparently  Bristol Rovers can’t do enough to help if it’s a new book or a charity function that needs a prize, signed football etc. On the other hand City couldn’t care less. The book will sell out eventually and if I break even I will be very happy because this is just about people remembering the 32 players who represented the club in the top flight. I had 500 books printed and have less than 280 now”

All the best,

Matt

Archived