Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Player of the season thus far

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Bentley has been worth more points than any other player.

( FACT..... as we used to say)

He’s been exceptional! But the geezers who have stuck the ball in the net at the other end have been worth quite a few points as well I’d say.... it’s gonna be a difficult decision this season, at least 4 or 5 players defo in the frame ...

Bentley

Massengo

Williams

Brownhill

Weimann

...and blokes like Eliasson and Fammy could come into it if they continue in their current form and are given sufficient game time...

Just shows what a cool squad we’ve got right now ...

• Like 1

Bentley for me. A number of others (Williams, Brownhill, Eliasson) have been impressive but Bentley has been excellent in pretty much every game.

I’ve been watching City for 35 years and he’s on course to be the best City keeper I’ve seen in all that time for me. Fantastic signing. 

Very tough call.  My candidates:

Bentley definitely in with a shout, I just want him to be a bit more decisive from crosses.  That’s a real nit-pick, and the one big difference between him and Niki Maenpaa.  Bentley has been excellent in all other areas (in the vast majority of games).

Rowe playing out of position yet flexible to play WB in a 3, LB in a 4 and even LCB for part of a game....as well as a few minutes in CM, chipping in with assists, goals and nous.  Free transfer too adds to his merit.

Williams been an absolute stalwart at the back adding class to an injury ravaged defence, having to play with different partners on different systems.  Only at West Brom did I think he looked leggy.  Free transfer again adds to his merit.

Brownhill adding goals and leadership, sacrificing his driving performances to sit in behind Massengo, sometimes meaning he’s been quieter, but still important.  Goals I’ve mentioned, but big goals too.  I know there is no adequate measure of this, but Charlton, Cardiff, Fulham, were key goals.

A final shout-out, but not quite naming my top 4, go to Massengo and Moore.  Hunt just missing out too.

By the end of January, it’s possible Diedhiou and Eliasson might come into the reckoning.

When you look at it, there are very few of our regulars who aren’t performing better than last season....and we haven’t really seen Kalas, Dasilva, and been denied seeing Afobe.

In terms of the question, if you’re gonna push me, Bentley just over Brownhill.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

There is usually a "most improved player" category as well.

Eliasson for this one, hands down.

He used to be too lightweight, but not anymore.

Moore?  Eliasson needs to continue impressing from the start of games.

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Brownhill...I genuinely believe he may be one of the best players in this division.

bentley has been good but also conceded 28 so far

We've conceded a high number of goals, but that is predominately because we've allowed a very high number of shots. Our defensive strategy this season seems to be along the lines of "let them shoot as much as they want from far out or bad positions, we'll play the percentages". We then effectively defend hard when the ball comes near the box. This means that Bentley has been very, very busy, and therefore he stands out as one of our best players as he's often been saving long distance shots or those few good shots where our defence has already been bypassed.

Bentley has had to deal with 90 shots on target against his goal. Only Bialkowski at Millwall has suffered more (97) (Phillips in Charlton's goal has also had to defend 90 shots on target).* Bentley has saved 69% of those 90 shots. Bialkowski and Phillips are both doing very slightly better (72% and 70% respectively) but that's still a good enough save % to get Bentley into the top ten goalies in the division by that metric. When you then weight the save % to reflect the number of shots saved he is right up there with the others mentioned here.

Casilla at Leeds has the best save % at 82% - but he's only face 55 shots on target. He's been so bored he must be able to plan each save meticulously in his head before he needs to make it.

Of course saves aren't the only way to judge a goalie but he's performing pretty well considering the defensive tactics we are taking.

*Luton and Barnsley have conceded more shots on target than all of these - but they have used multiple goalkeepers in their games. Individually speaking Bentley is the joint second-busiest goalie in the division.

Having said all of that I would agree with you. Brownhill is for me the player of the season so far. 23, captain, 5 goals already and a tireless role. The others mentioned in the thread are all having notable seasons but for me it's Brownhill that is gluing this team together.

So many choices. It feels odd to be looking at defence when we've conceded quite a few but 1. Bentley (feels like one of the best in the championship) 2. Rowe (given our injury crisis there's no way we'd be in top 6 if he hadn't excelled - a totally unexpected gem of a player). 

Obvious mentions to Eliasson, Massengo and Fam

Niki Maenpaa  - for graciously stepping aside and allowing Daniel Bentley to do his stuff brilliantly between the sticks for us.

As far as I'm aware without a murmur of descent or complaint from Niki.. Hope we get to see Niki again soon if LJ rewards him with a few well deserved starts in up coming Cup games.   He has found himself second choice through no fault of his own but due to the supreme unchallengeable form of Mr Bentley …. We are blessed with more than one fantastic talent between the sticks.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

Niki Maenpaa  - for graciously stepping aside and allowing Daniel Bentley to do his stuff brilliantly between the sticks for us.

As far as I'm aware without a murmur of dissent or complaint from Niki.. Hope we get to see Niki again soon if LJ rewards him with a few well deserved starts in up coming Cup games.   He has found himself second choice through no fault of his own but due to the supreme unchallengeable form of Mr Bentley …. We are blessed with more than one fantastic talent between the sticks.

Bentley up to now - has been in great form all season. 

Other than that a few others:

Massengo, Brownhill, Taylor Moore, Tommy Rowe and Ash Williams. 

I feel Fam has to be in for a shout too as despite us essentially replacing him with Afobe and us on here slating him, he hasn't complained and just got on with what he does best which is just shithouse goals and get us more points

Surprised some have mentioned Weimann. 

I'd put Fam over Weimann. He's scored only 1 goal less and played nearly half the minutes. Both will hopefully end up with 10+ goals this season :) 

But for me it would be Brownhill or Bentley. But the player who's surprised me the most with how good they've become is Taylor Moore 

Edited by Sturny

I think had he not been injured so cruelly I'm sure Benik Afobe would be high up the list but here's mine

Nagy...Oosing class

Bentley ..Best keeper we have had

Massengo Top player for his age

Rowe ...Totally unexpected

Brownhill  getting better all the time

Moore   Stepping up a gear

Williams again unexpected 

Baker    his best season so far

Rest of squad Good enough to go up