IGNORED

Best supported side ! We already knew the truth

phantom

• Admin

So much for Newcastle being one of the best supported sides etc, those of us that have been around for longer than we would care to admit will remember Newcastle not having that great a sized home crowds, but surely this is taking things to a new low?

Newcastle United is offering its current season ticket holders a FREE additional half-season ticket as the club looks to get a packed St. James’ Park behind the team.

After discussions between head coach Steve Bruce and managing director Lee Charnley, subject to eligibility criteria, the Magpies will gift a half-season ticket to qualifying nominees by existing season ticket holders on a first-come first-served basis.

A half-season ticket includes ten home Premier League fixtures, beginning with the visit of Everton on Saturday 28th December and including matches against Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool.

Steve Bruce said: "The supporters have been nothing short of magnificent since I arrived in the summer and I’d like to take this opportunity to say thank you to each and every one of them.

"I HOPE A GESTURE LIKE THIS WILL HELP US TO FILL THE PLACE BECAUSE ST. JAMES’ PARK IN FULL VOICE IS A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH."

STEVE BRUCE

"To have the crowds we have is wonderful, and we can’t ever take that for granted, but the question to all of us at the club is can we pack the stadium to the rafters?

"It starts with results on the pitch, but I hope a gesture like this will help us to fill the place because St. James’ Park in full voice is a force to be reckoned with.

"It really does give the players an edge and when they work hard and play well, the atmosphere is like nowhere else."

Lee Charnley said: "Steve and I spoke after Sunday’s win against Southampton about what we could do to bring as many people as possible into the stadium.

"As Steve and the players will testify, a full St. James’ Park does make a big difference and we want to support them in achieving that.

"While of course we want to encourage fans to come back and also to attract new fans, at this time we wanted to do something specifically for our existing season ticket holders to reward them for their loyalty and support of Steve and the players.

"I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has been to matches so far this season.

"The support Steve, the staff and the players have had has been fantastic and it has helped to produce some very encouraging results on the pitch. We want to move forward together and I hope this gesture is another step towards achieving that."

Taken from: https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/get-a-free-half-season-ticket/

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

So much for Newcastle being one of the best supported sides etc, those of us that have been around for longer than we would care to admit will remember Newcastle not having that great a sized home crowds, but surely this is taking things to a new low?

Newcastle United is offering its current season ticket holders a FREE additional half-season ticket as the club looks to get a packed St. James’ Park behind the team.

After discussions between head coach Steve Bruce and managing director Lee Charnley, subject to eligibility criteria, the Magpies will gift a half-season ticket to qualifying nominees by existing season ticket holders on a first-come first-served basis.

A half-season ticket includes ten home Premier League fixtures, beginning with the visit of Everton on Saturday 28th December and including matches against Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool.

Steve Bruce said: "The supporters have been nothing short of magnificent since I arrived in the summer and I’d like to take this opportunity to say thank you to each and every one of them.

"I HOPE A GESTURE LIKE THIS WILL HELP US TO FILL THE PLACE BECAUSE ST. JAMES’ PARK IN FULL VOICE IS A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH."

STEVE BRUCE

"To have the crowds we have is wonderful, and we can’t ever take that for granted, but the question to all of us at the club is can we pack the stadium to the rafters?

"It starts with results on the pitch, but I hope a gesture like this will help us to fill the place because St. James’ Park in full voice is a force to be reckoned with.

"It really does give the players an edge and when they work hard and play well, the atmosphere is like nowhere else."

Lee Charnley said: "Steve and I spoke after Sunday’s win against Southampton about what we could do to bring as many people as possible into the stadium.

"As Steve and the players will testify, a full St. James’ Park does make a big difference and we want to support them in achieving that.

"While of course we want to encourage fans to come back and also to attract new fans, at this time we wanted to do something specifically for our existing season ticket holders to reward them for their loyalty and support of Steve and the players.

"I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has been to matches so far this season.

"The support Steve, the staff and the players have had has been fantastic and it has helped to produce some very encouraging results on the pitch. We want to move forward together and I hope this gesture is another step towards achieving that."

Taken from: https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/get-a-free-half-season-ticket/

Sorry I don't really understand that…New half season ticket holders (nominated) will get it free? How is that rewarding existing STHs?

They've been averaging around 50,000 attendances for the best part of 20 years now, since they redevloped the stadium and were pretty much selling out every week in the years leading up to the redevelopment. 

It's not a myth. They are one of the best supported clubs in the country. Not sure why it bothers everyone so much :dunno:

13 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Fairplay. 

They lost my respect over the Pardew deparcle. They got what they deserved with that.  Same goes for Stoke and Pulis. 

9 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

The Pardew what? ?

It's Richard Osman's House of Games answer smash - Pardew's departure debacle.

13 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Sorry I don't really understand that…New half season ticket holders (nominated) will get it free? How is that rewarding existing STHs?

They can give it as a gift to friends or family. In an area with lots of poverty, this seems like a great gesture. Only a curmudgeon would find fault with it. If BCFC did it, we’d be raving about it.

7 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

They've been averaging around 50,000 attendances for the best part of 20 years now, since they redevloped the stadium and were pretty much selling out every week in the years leading up to the redevelopment. 

It's not a myth. They are one of the best supported clubs in the country. Not sure why it bothers everyone so much :dunno:

Couldn't agree more with you. I'm really dont like how big time there fans are but they are a big club fan base wise.

Even if people do remember how the fan base didnt used to be massive times change. 10 years ago man city weren't one of Europe's top sides but things change. 

13 minutes ago, Leveller said:

They can give it as a gift to friends or family. In an area with lots of poverty, this seems like a great gesture. Only a curmudgeon would find fault with it. If BCFC did it, we’d be raving about it.

Thanks!

It was only a question…:surrender:

I think there would be plenty of people complaining about it…

41 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Their last home crowd was 42,000, a good attendance but still quite a drop percentage wise.

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

Their last home crowd was 42,000, a good attendance but still quite a drop percentage wise.

True, but they still have the 7th highest average attendance in England. 

I just think that City fans taking the piss out Newcastle for their attendances is akin to a 15er mocking us for getting under 20k whilst getting less than 6k themselves.

16 minutes ago, pillred said:

Anti Mike Ashley boycott may have something to do with it.

Not saying it's the sole reason, but they did get 47,500 on opening weekend v Arsenal. Averaging about 46k though still- but then as we know, tickets sold don't necessarily equate to actual attendees!

3 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

True, but they still have the 7th highest average attendance in England. 

I just think that City fans taking the piss out Newcastle for their attendances is akin to a 15er mocking us for getting under 20k whilst getting less than 6k themselves.

True.

In the last 100 years Newcastle have dropped under 20k average just four times.

30 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Thanks!

It was only a question…:surrender:

I think there would be plenty of people complaining about it…

I was referring to the OP not you ...

Their crowds are falling, so that's one reason to give away free tickets. That's the cynical angle. However, there will be many true fans who can't afford to go. Getting a free ticket will be a boon for them, if they have a friend or relative who is a ST holder.

Some who can afford to go may benefit, but only if they have contacts who don't mind giving them a freebie. I don't see why anybody at BCFC would object to something like this, unless they have a dog in the manger attitude. A minority of scroungers might take advantage, but on the whole its likely to benefit real fans who aren't well off.

• SC&T Board Members
4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Anti Mike Ashley boycott may have something to do with it.

Not saying it's the sole reason, but they did get 47,500 on opening weekend v Arsenal. Averaging about 46k though still- but then as we know, tickets sold don't necessarily equate to actual attendees!

This is exactly what it is about. The fans' boycott is clearly embarrassing the club and they don't want comments about lots of empty seats being made on TV.

They can't convince the boycotting fans to pay to watch while Mike Ashley is still owner, so they are giving tickets away to try to hide the impact of the boycott.

• Admin
51 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It's not finding fault in doing it @Leveller, simply highlighting that the only way they can fill their ground is by giving 10k tickets away

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Their average crowd is on the right hand side

image.png

It's not finding fault in doing it @Leveller, simply highlighting that the only way they can fill their ground is by giving 10k tickets away

Their average crowd is on the right hand side

image.png

Four time in 100 years under 20k.

Says it all.

Massive attendances for a town half the size of Bristol.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I was referring to the OP not you ...

Their crowds are falling, so that's one reason to give away free tickets. That's the cynical angle. However, there will be many true fans who can't afford to go. Getting a free ticket will be a boon for them, if they have a friend or relative who is a ST holder.

Some who can afford to go may benefit, but only if they have contacts who don't mind giving them a freebie. I don't see why anybody at BCFC would object to something like this, unless they have a dog in the manger attitude. A minority of scroungers might take advantage, but on the whole its likely to benefit real fans who aren't well off.

I guess the article didn't specify it clearly enough that it was to help those less fortunate. 

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I guess the article didn't specify it clearly enough that it was to help those less fortunate. 

It has nothing to do with helping less fortunate people, just as mentioned previously the club are embarrassed with their poor home crowds, so are attempting to fill St James' by giving season ticket holders the chance to obtain one free half season ticket for a friend.

I have this image now of all these people sat on their own as their friends are in seats in other parts of the ground.

Personally it would have been nicer to offer them to ex ST holders that can no longer afford to go, or maybe military, NHS etc etc

• Admin
1 minute ago, elhombrecito said:

You've conveniently cut off all the 50k averages from 2001 onwards.

And their capacity was c£36k for the majority of the 90s, until the redevelopment to £52k from 2001, so what you've post just proves my point :)

So proves they did have smaller crowds?

So proves they did have smaller crowds?

Yes. When their ground was smaller. 

They haven't been averaging crowds that are significantly lower then their capacity for nigh on 30 years. 

And even before that, as mentioned above, they have only averaged under 20k four times in the last 100 years. I'd say that's bloody impressive and backs up their claim to be one of the best supported clubs in the country. 

It's also worth noting and remembering that it took a while for attendances across the board or in many cases at least to rise again- 1980s saw quite a fall in attendances and this continued into bits of the 1990s at many clubs.

Not saying there was any sole reason but fall they did and they remained stubbornly within a low range for a while!

1 minute ago, elhombrecito said:

Yes. When their ground was smaller. 

They haven't been averaging crowds that are significantly lower then their capacity for nigh on 30 years. 

And even before that, as mentioned above, they have only averaged under 20k four times in the last 100 years. I'd say that's bloody impressive and backs up their claim to be one of the best supported clubs in the country. 

Considering they've won bugger all for ages, their support is and has been fantastic.

I was there a couple of weeks ago for the Man City game. 

For a midday kick off (admittedly against one of the best sides in the country) they had nearly 50k there, we could only dream of such crowds. 

In addition to that, the atmosphere was fantastic and certainly helped the side bring themselves back into it. 

How anyone can criticise is beyond me

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Glad someone wrote that.

I'm not a fan, but if City were that well supported AG would be far too small for us.

Even North-East clubs from much smaller towns get decent turnouts.

Archived