IGNORED

Who wants to see my tuppence

TomBS3

Medium term subscriber, but not a poster. I believe I’m called a lurker. Probably covering some well-trodden ground here but felt the need to put my tuppence in (hence the title).

I reckon my credentials, should they be needed, are adequate to qualify me for a little moan. I’m a 40-something long term season ticket holder, junior red and ball boy (not any more obviously) and I briefly flirted with the youth system (in a non-sinister fashion).

Away matches have always been the best bits of the season as a City fan for me. There’s been some absolute belters. The camaraderie of a few hundred like minded Bedders descending on a town we may not have otherwise been to, is a joy to behold. Getting in the ground, the excitement building, as we might get to see our beloved Reds triumph away from home, irrespective of how gash we might be that year. Get up on the stand and the exchanges begin with our opponents’ fans and players.

When I first started going in the 80s, football supporting was grim at times. When the 90s came around, there seemed to emerge an unwritten rule about what was acceptable and what wasn’t, and everybody stuck to it. The shouts were (quite rightly in my opinion), foul-mouthed, biting, very funny, and often spontaneous. However, in recent months,  as some of you will have noticed, some of the shouts have not been acceptable, not to mention unfunny. You can see people wince as the latest volley of abuse is shouted out from behind. I honestly don't think this is down to a shift in standards, there has been a regression.

For the first time, it’s been a factor in me deciding whether I would attend a certain fixture. A friend of mine who attended a game up north with me last season, signalled an intention not to go again.

It's a complex issue, and its difficult to articulate what's right and wrong. But I reckon everyone deep down knows where the line is.

I'm not trying to be 'woke' whatever the frig that means, nor self-righteous. I’ve seen and heard some things over the years, and I still enjoy the edge that football brings. To an extent, football supporters are afforded some wiggle room when it comes to the ‘careful what you say’ culture. But if we don’t temper things soon, then the sanitised version of football supporting that we all dread, will be quite justifiably forced upon us.

So let’s just have a quick think before we shout. Appreciate the nuances of respect and tolerance, in order to maintain the edginess of following the beautiful game.

And while I’m at it, leave the ‘extra-curricular’ substances at home, you can easily tell, and you look like a right ****. ?

Come on you Reds!

• Admin

Welcome aboard @TomBS3, interesting views to read, I am guessing that you are a similar age to me as the above is basically how I would tell someone about the years of supporting City

What is a shame is that anyone feels uncomfortable (not a word you used) with attending a game and even to the extreme that they no longer want to go

I'm not sure certain "shouts" from individuals would be enough to force even more sanitised conditions on us, the game has already moved on massively living the memories like you mentioned a long way in the past

Let's be honest we are now a business, we are not supporters, we are customers. With the amount of TV money alone flying around the Prem, it has already be claimed they could survive playing to empty stadia, with that in mind the "powers that be" won't be concerned who is filling their seats, be it a lifelong fan or someone visiting for a "day out"

But what you mention above isn't just around a football ground, life in general has changed so much over the same period of time, some things for the better and others not so.

I do agree that everyone knows, or anyone with a bit character about them would know where the line is, but again it is about the general behaviour of people in society in general that has changed

Hopefully your friend feels comfortable enough to give it another go? We have all been to an odd game where we have really not enjoyed the day etc, lets hope he just had a bad day as a one off

Hmmmm..................:cool2:

I over 50 years of attending AG  I don’t see much difference in the type of abuse heard from the stands. If anything it’s less offensive than it used to be. I well remember racial abuse aimed at Junior Bent and Wayne Allison.  The amount of profanity is about the same as it’s always been.

No way will it be ever be possible to sanitise those that attend football matches.

43 minutes ago, TomBS3 said:

Medium term subscriber, but not a poster. I believe I’m called a lurker. Probably covering some well-trodden ground here but felt the need to put my tuppence in (hence the title).

I reckon my credentials, should they be needed, are adequate to qualify me for a little moan. I’m a 40-something long term season ticket holder, junior red and ball boy (not any more obviously) and I briefly flirted with the youth system (in a non-sinister fashion).

Away matches have always been the best bits of the season as a City fan for me. There’s been some absolute belters. The camaraderie of a few hundred like minded Bedders descending on a town we may not have otherwise been to, is a joy to behold. Getting in the ground, the excitement building, as we might get to see our beloved Reds triumph away from home, irrespective of how gash we might be that year. Get up on the stand and the exchanges begin with our opponents’ fans and players.

When I first started going in the 80s, football supporting was grim at times. When the 90s came around, there seemed to emerge an unwritten rule about what was acceptable and what wasn’t, and everybody stuck to it. The shouts were (quite rightly in my opinion), foul-mouthed, biting, very funny, and often spontaneous. However, in recent months,  as some of you will have noticed, some of the shouts have not been acceptable, not to mention unfunny. You can see people wince as the latest volley of abuse is shouted out from behind. I honestly don't think this is down to a shift in standards, there has been a regression.

For the first time, it’s been a factor in me deciding whether I would attend a certain fixture. A friend of mine who attended a game up north with me last season, signalled an intention not to go again.

It's a complex issue, and its difficult to articulate what's right and wrong. But I reckon everyone deep down knows where the line is.

I'm not trying to be 'woke' whatever the frig that means, nor self-righteous. I’ve seen and heard some things over the years, and I still enjoy the edge that football brings. To an extent, football supporters are afforded some wiggle room when it comes to the ‘careful what you say’ culture. But if we don’t temper things soon, then the sanitised version of football supporting that we all dread, will be quite justifiably forced upon us.

So let’s just have a quick think before we shout. Appreciate the nuances of respect and tolerance, in order to maintain the edginess of following the beautiful game.

And while I’m at it, leave the ‘extra-curricular’ substances at home, you can easily tell, and you look like a right ****. ?

Come on you Reds!

What do you mean? I stand in the south stand and think it’s gone the opposite way.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nor me...........that word was used by my mum to describe girls ‘bits’............:dunno:

13 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

That's not a meaning of 'tuppence' that I understand.......................matron..

Yep..... Thrupenny bits and tuppence :)

Interesting read. I’m 33 and don’t go to many away games any more but have had a season ticket most years since I was 14. 

I guess I’ve been lucky/sheltered as I’ve only ever witnessed two incidents at football that really made me feel disgusted. 

One was home to Leeds a few years ago when some morons in the Dolman stand thought it was acceptable to physically assault a rival fan en-masse, and the other was also at home, more recently (can’t remember the opposition), when a disgusting individual spat at the opposition goalkeeper. 

Just people watching pre game on the concourse, I've noticed more young 'lads' being coked up and being generally more aggressive, even amongst themselves, in recent years.

Walked in on one doing a line in the Gents a few months back.

I think drugs of a certain kind are certainly more prevalent and it's easily noticeable.

Far less drunks around though ?

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

Just people watching pre game on the concourse, I've noticed more young 'lads' being coked up and being generally more aggressive, even amongst themselves, in recent years.

Walked in on one doing a line in the Gents a few months back.

I think drugs of a certain kind are certainly more prevalent and it's easily noticeable.

Far less drunks around though ?

For anyone who may just be reading this post and does drugs  , do you ever stop to think of the misery you are causing to so many people’s lives just for your pleasure ?

Take a step back and look at the consequences of your actions .

You are responsible for the misery and deaths of thousands of people along the chain who provide you with your high .

Is the price they’re paying worth it ? 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Hmmmm..................:cool2:

I over 50 years of attending AG  I don’t see much difference in the type of abuse heard from the stands. If anything it’s less offensive than it used to be. I well remember racial abuse aimed at Junior Bent and Wayne Allison.  The amount of profanity is about the same as it’s always been.

No way will it be ever be possible to sanitise those that attend football matches.

You should hear the foul mouthed filth that comes out over the public address system Robbo … tis enough to curl yer toes! ?

I’ve seen some sights and heard some stuff in my in excess of 50 years supporting this club. 

compared to what most of us that are up there in age have been through today is pretty sanitized by comparison. However times have changed largely for the better at football and people do need to think before they speak and act. 

However short of something really really shocking I’m just immune to almost anything at or around/travelling to football. A sad state for me I suppose.  

Archived