IGNORED

Bristol City v Millwall Match Day 21

Septic Peg

For as good as we were Saturday, last night we were awful.

Rowett (not for the first time against WeeLee) set his side up to highlight our obvious weakness and we didn't have a Scooby how to counter.

Amazing we've scored as many as we have given we do not have a striker at the club. Were Weimann a goalscorer he wouldn't have squandered another chance early doors and the game might have been different, but once he again fluffed his lines it was another flappy handed run-around creating zip in the final third. Sure he runs and runs, but rarely into the box or areas where it matters. He also continues to give the ball away with consistent regularity. If he could score as well as he flaps, claps and points he'd be a top Championship striker. He isn't.

And then there's The Bloke from Knowle who recently has shown greater promise in his own box and on or near the halfway line but for whom the final third remains a land of mystery. I can't think of a less mobile striker in the box in all my years. We've had worse, though none more static. He remains focussed on trailing his marker, is clueless to where the ball is, has an utter inability to find or create space and uncannily for all the aerial prowess he shows in his own box, that wholly dissipates where it matters.

Rowett played three tall Centre Halfs, WeeLee set up to get balls crossed into the box to Weimann and TBFK, hence was like feeding strawberries to a donkey. We made no effort to play ball quick to feet, or to exploit Millwall's defensive weakness (lack of pace and mobility.) Millwall built a solid line, stood there and barely broke sweat.

Poor performances all round from the rest, with even Bentley managing to out-flap Flappy upfront.

This month we'll see how determined we are to push to the next level? We either get in two strikers of note or mid Championship is the limit of our ambition.

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

Dont really get why personal abuse is needed to fans who just express their views, its just views on a forum...might not be matching yours but its playground name calling....really.

But there's a difference between expressing a view (a valid one, backed up by evidence) and saying any old rubbish that flies in the face of the truth just to get a reaction. Maybe I shouldn't have reacted. 

Having watched the highlights, it confirmed that the second millwall goal came from a free kick that suckered the referee.          The Millwall player backed into the defender and threw himself to the floor, it was beyond blatant, but the sad old ref fell for it?  Still we had to defend the kick better, but with so many over 6 footers in the Millwall team it was difficult.  And Bentley must surely know that he phecked up big time on the first goal, but seeing as he has kept us in many a game this season, he is allowed one, BUT just one mistake!!    Weimann tried to be far too clever in the 2nd minute, and should have buried the chance from his initial position.  I know i am clutching at straws, but these little incidents do influence the whole game?   Finally, where did they find the highlights commentator? Hopefully he does it for free......as nobody should be paid for that level of inept commentary?  I did wonder if the commentator and Wallace got a room after the match, as he had a major man crush on the millwall winger. ??

11 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Just a load of babble.

For me it was simple. Millwall were up for it and wanted it more. Our lot thought they would stroll it after the good win at Fulham.

The approach and mentality for every game has to be 100% right. Everyone needs to pull their weight and bust a gut to get the 3 points we need from every encounter.

Sometimes you just got to give it straight to the players who didn't perform to the best of their ability, and find out why.

Some require the hair-dryer approach, others require a kinder method, but it has to be done.

I'll be at the Blackburn game doing my bit from the stands, but after dropping those three precious points last night, I almost wish I had something better to do on Saturday.

I have, it's my Grandson's 4th birthday bash on Saturday and nothing, even City playing will make me miss it. Hope they get back to winning ways, but I won't be tuned in.

On 10/12/2019 at 22:08, mozo said:

I don't think there was anything wrong with tactics, team selection or substitutions.

The players just made too many errors. Too many mis-placed passes (even Nagy and Massengo were off!), too many poor crosses, lapses of concentration.

The team and tactics were right. Even the effort was fine. Just too much human error from too many players.

Bad night at the office.

Sorry but you were watching a different game to me.  The players made loads of errors and the tactics were wrong.  He moved Rowe forward into midfield a lot off the ball which backfired horrendously.  The obvious change at HT was Smith on for Massengo as this is Smith's sort of game and Massengo was clearly struggling.  

There was a bit of human error for sure but that includes the manager and coaches as well.  T

Archived