IGNORED

Let's talk about, the start of the game.

Prinny

Weimann misses a golden chance to score or create a goal. Massengo wastes a through ball opportunity. Nagy gives the ball away poorly in midfield.

Rowe and Bentley are asleep and we concede a truly pathetic goal.

The difference between us scoring the first goal and conceding it is MASSIVE as it is for most teams, but especially those who lack quality.

If you think the third highest goal scorers don't need more quality up front and going forwards... I point you to this game.

On to the January transfer window, we need more to be a serious contender. On to Cincinnati.

I think the bigger problem was lack of effort and will for 85 minutes. Millwall pressed with energy, the beat us to most 50/50 balls they won almost all the physical one on one matchups. 

For me, we were lazy and unenthusiastic. Our touches were lazy our passes were lazy and tracking runners was lazy. 

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

We got what we deserved out of the game.

Nothing.

Millwall deserved the 3 points. They wanted it more, played as a team and looked far more of a threat in all areas.

Yep entirely and completely agree. It almost felt they had one more player than us. Thought their no 5 was very very good . 

4 minutes ago, Brann-red said:

Yep entirely and completely agree. It almost felt they had one more player than us. Thought their no 5 was very very good . 

I said exactly the same thing first half, a LAZY lacklustre performance. Drove me up the wall until we finally pulled our finger out on about 75 minutes. Should've stayed at home and watched it, hobbled down on crutches post ankle op and they put on that little beaut of a performance. On to the next! 

Millwall did their homework . 541 without the ball and snuffed out any space. Stopped any overloads of ours out wide and any space through the middle . Whenever they lost the ball , they always had at least 6 behind the ball to stop any counter attacks. They did a number on us.

however imo, we didn’t move the ball anywhere near enough , wanting too many touches and our movement was non existent . Couldn’t understand why wiemann wanted to round the keeper , there was little space to do so. 

4 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

Inexplicably being made to play left midfield hardly helped him.

This. You finally think we've turned a corner and stopped worrying about the opponents and bang, a poor 20 miniute spell and we go and stick our top scorer on the left hand side. So two wins with the right formation and it instantly changes as soon as we have a bad spell. 

Dont get me wrong, that's not the reason we lost in the main, but certainly didn't help.

27 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think the bigger problem was lack of effort and will for 85 minutes. Millwall pressed with energy, the beat us to most 50/50 balls they won almost all the physical one on one matchups. 

For me, we were lazy and unenthusiastic. Our touches were lazy our passes were lazy and tracking runners was lazy. 

Exactly thus!

We were crap everywhere...Not one player had better than a 6 and most were a four...LJ wouldn't even do his post match presser and Radio Drivel went straight to Boney M.

I am disgusted and whats gripping my shit even more is posters singling out individuals....THEY WERE ALL ******* RUBBISH!

LJ, Holden et al  must be going ******* nuts.  

34 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't agree with that. I thought there was loads of effort, but like enthusiastic, dopey dogs chasing their tails.

26 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

We got what we deserved out of the game.

Nothing.

Millwall deserved the 3 points. They wanted it more, played as a team and looked far more of a threat in all areas.

Didn’t think they got out of 2nd gear or indeed needed to until late on when we scored when they still pretty easily kept us out I thought. 

34 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I certainly agree with the first sentence but not withe second.

It wasn’t lack of enthusiasm or players being ‘lazy’ it was a combination of Milwall doing exactly wha you said I your first sentence and City not being able to cope with it. They did an excellent job on us and stopped City from getting going

Still three defeats in 21 and in fourth place is pretty good.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

I don't agree with that. I thought there was loads of effort, but like enthusiastic, dopey dogs chasing their tails.

Think it depends on what you mean by effort. For me we got beat to every 50/50 ball, we showed lack of concentration with so many heavy touches that caused us to lose possession, our central midfielders were generally lazy not finding gaps behind the forwards but instead dropping deep and taking turns passing to Baker and Williams. For me these are all effort and caring things and think we fell way short on that. 

2 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Not sure why we were expected to just turn up and win.  They’ve drawn with West Brom and beaten Leeds and Gary Rowett has got Millwall  playing as a hard team to beat. 

For me it is more the performance than the result. I didn’t expect us to win. I did expect us to take the game to them more than we did. Credit to Millwall for a lot of this but think most of our players could have done more to influence the game tonight. We were slow and lacked any creative ideas to break them down. 

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly thus!

We were crap everywhere...Not one player had better than a 6 and most were a four...LJ wouldn't even do his post match presser and Radio Drivel went straight to Boney M.

I am disgusted and whats gripping my shit even more is posters singling out individuals....THEY WERE ALL ******* RUBBISH!

But LJ and Holden give them the instructions?

The clueless shite I witnessed tonight was far removed from the warriors of Saturday.

This is just my personal opinion, but the unchanged team we announced was tactically a million miles from the Fulham/Huddersfield games.....

Same personnel, different instructions.

No-one on that pitch tonight had a clear picture of their role, even after 2 victories with the proven system. That’s not down to the players...

That worries me ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly thus!

Exactly. Two big steps forward and one step back for City.

Another harsh lesson, for Johnson. You can change a winning team for a midweek game following an energy sapping victory. Use your squad wisely by protecting slightly built, holding midfielders blessed with great technical ability, but lacking the stamina to cope with a 'rigorous' Championship schedule.

Edit: According to The Post, Korey's omission was tactical; https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-explains-bristol-citys-3630130

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Just one of those off days, clearly Rowett did his homework, and Millwall knocked us out of our stride. We haven’t suddenly turned into a poor side in the space of 4 days

We played badly. We couldn’t pass move or insert any energy. Rowett and his team clearly watched us. Shocking. So are everybody else. Utter dross or perhaps we only suddenly become a poor team when someone does their homework. Fuming I would have failed to show up to a post match interview like LJ! He knows how crap that was!!!!

We we simply out thought and out fought.Now I can except being out thought from time to time but find being out fought totally unacceptable.We came  out  second best in nearly every 50-50 challenge and second ball,poor doesn’t come close to describing it.

I just hope LJ doesn't over tinker after that. That was still possibly our best starting 11, with some fatigue / complacency creeping in. A couple of those players have only just come back from longer term injury and are then expected to play 3 full games in a week already. Our current options on the bench are a bit worrying and there are not really any obvious options for improvement.

It appeared that they were encouraging us to give it to Baker as they knew he was less creative. I wonder if he'll swap for Moore at the weekend to give us another option.

7 hours ago, Chappers said:

Just one of those off days, clearly Rowett did his homework, and Millwall knocked us out of our stride. We haven’t suddenly turned into a poor side in the space of 4 days

This sums up how I felt leaving the game - we know we struggle against teams that will sit back. I did wonder if Johnson would put sentiment to one side and play a team that suited the game Millwall always bring to Ashton Gate (It could have been more physical or more technical), for once I don't think he took enough account of the opposition. Not that I disagreed with the selection, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The tactic of drawing the opposition out seems to bring our defenders into a battle further up the pitch and can leave us exposed, this is the fall back if we don't get an early goal.

Too many players had off days and we paid for it - it highlighted the problem that we don't seem to have an effective Plan A for games like this (against teams that are confident sitting back). We can play counter attacking football quite effectively & we can go toe-to-toe with teams when required, but struggle to break teams down - and have done for a while.

I think Huddersfield could be seen as our antithesis, they are not confident sitting back and hitting teams on the counter, but they will break a side down that sits back, I know it took them til injury time yesterday but apparently they were good value for a win [forgive me if I've got Huddersfield completely wrong - this is taken from them not being beaten by a lot of the sides around them and then starting to struggle against stronger 'footballing' sides].

I would rather be in City's position, as disappointing as it was, I would rather beat Fulham (a rival in the play-offs) and lose to Millwall than the other way round. It could be worse, but I accept we've raised expectations now and last night wasn't good enough.

Archived