IGNORED

Praise for one player - Ash Williams

Port Said Red

I agree but think he got bullied a bit today at times. That is me nitpicking though. Frustrating night where I felt like 3-4 just didn’t turn up. Ashley Williams was not one of those though and has proven me wrong as I was very much against signing him. Question is, does he retain his place when Kalas is fully fit? 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I agree but think he got bullied a bit today at times. That is me nitpicking though. Frustrating night where I felt like 3-4 just didn’t turn up. Ashley Williams was not one of those though and has proven me wrong as I was very much against signing him. Question is, does he retain his place when Kalas is fully fit? 

Of course he does Joe - he and Kalas would be awesome.

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

3-4? More like 10

Just now, Dredd said:

Thought Williams was one of the few to come out of tonight with any credit. One of the only players trying to move the ball forwards

You are joking?!? 

Him, Baker and Bentley will be the players with most touches for us, neither baker or Williams brings the ball out. They’re more comfortable passing it back and forwards to each other until one clips it long.

It’s Baker that is painful, decent defender but cannot play out from the back.

1 minute ago, Bs4Red said:

You are joking?!? 

Him, Baker and Bentley will be the players with most touches for us, neither baker or Williams brings the ball out. They’re more comfortable passing it back and forwards to each other until one clips it long.

Must have missed his through ball to Weimann?

2 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

You are joking?!? 

Not joking at all. They will be the players with most touches tonight because the ball kept being recycled back to them. Millwall put 10 men behind the ball and we had no idea how to break them down or get through them in the middle. 
Baker has no idea how to play the ball forward and does inevitably hit it to Fam. Williams at least tries to play it out. 

1 minute ago, Dredd said:

Not joking at all. They will be the players with most touches tonight because the ball kept being recycled back to them. Millwall put 10 men behind the ball and we had no idea how to break them down or get through them in the middle. 
Baker has no idea how to play the ball forward and does inevitably hit it to Fam. Williams at least tries to play it out. 

Recycled because the build up was so slow which made it easy for millwall to put 10 behind the ball. 

He might try to play out but I don’t think particularly well. It’s a massive area for improvement imo 

1 minute ago, Dredd said:

Bloody hell you can’t compare Williams at the tail end of his career to a 20 million pound premier league CB. We all know who is better

Is Williams not Webster’s replacement theoretically?

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

And has it occurred to you why Webster is no longer in the Championship and is the most expensive defender bought from the Championship? 

Exactly my point mate and we’ve replaced him with an aged centre back not renowned for his ball playing exploits so either way the recruitment of Williams was wrong or when we play with him and baker we shouldn’t play out as neither are very good at it. 

Just my opinion 

46 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

He seemed to be playing both his and Kasey Palmers roles, at least he kept driving us forward and trying to create something. 

Think you're being generous there! Yes, last 10 mins he was a reason why we got forward with a bit more purpose. But til then he'd been as guilty as many others of some poor judgement, poor passing, and complete failure to read their forward runs.

Id struggle to find 3 or 4 who played even half decent tonight. Hunt OK. Eliasson did what he was there to do and got some crosses in (tho was also guilty of some poor passing, tracking back) and I thought Fam did as much as could be asked of him, given the shocking service he got. Those aside, I thought we were just off the pace, off form, lacking energy.

Just now, Bs4Red said:

Exactly my point mate and we’ve replaced him with an aged centre back not renowned for his ball playing exploits so either way the recruitment of Williams was wrong or when we play with him and baker we shouldn’t play out as neither are very good at it. 

Just my opinion 

We brought him in only because of injuries, if Kalas hadn’t got a long term injury we would have never signed him.

Yet he has been far better than Baker and has shown himself to be able to play out, there was little movement in front of him today to be able to play out.

Its Baker who struggles to do anything expect hit it long. 

As soon as we can get Kalas in for Baker the better.

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Think you're being generous there! Yes, last 10 mins he was a reason why we got forward with a bit more purpose. But til then he'd been as guilty as many others of some poor judgement, poor passing, and complete failure to read their forward runs.

Id struggle to find 3 or 4 who played even half decent tonight. Hunt OK. Eliasson did what he was there to do and got some crosses in (tho was also guilty of some poor passing, tracking back) and I thought Fam did as much as could be asked of him, given the shocking service he got. Those aside, I thought we were just off the pace, off form, lacking energy.

Hunt was awful and rightfully subbed off, couldn’t trap a bag of cement today.

3 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

We brought him in only because of injuries, if Kalas hadn’t got a long term injury we would have never signed him.

Yet he has been far better than Baker and has shown himself to be able to play out, there was little movement in front of him today to be able to play out.

Its Baker who struggles to do anything expect hit it long. 

As soon as we can get Kalas in for Baker the better.

Don’t disagree about Bakers passing and never will however I think baker is literally an out and out defender who isn’t expected to play out. 

Agree Kalas has been a big loss. 

Thought Nagy and HNM were awful today which probably contributed but stand by my opinion that it’s an area to look st if we are going to build from the back

12 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Recycled because the build up was so slow which made it easy for millwall to put 10 behind the ball. 

He might try to play out but I don’t think particularly well. It’s a massive area for improvement imo 

Is Williams not Webster’s replacement theoretically

No Williams was never signed as Webster’s replacement??! He was signed as we had an injury crisis at CB and he was a free agent. And he’s done so bloody well he’s played every game since. 

10 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Hunt was awful and rightfully subbed off, couldn’t trap a bag of cement today.

Not going to disagree with that, I just felt he at least made an impact going forward from the back at times. I guess that it's a reflection of the performance overall, that I still thought he was one of our better players! 

Just now, Dredd said:

No Williams was never signed as Webster’s replacement??! He was signed as we had an injury crisis at CB and he was a free agent. And he’s done so bloody well he’s played every game since. 

It was a comment in jest my friend, the fact is he has done well but my point is he is a poor ball player which is proven on nights like tonight. 

He has done okay, he’s part of the seventh worst defence in the league and remarkably if it wasn’t for the goals were scoring I feel the defence would be ripped to shreds 

33 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

One pass in 95 minutes mate. Compare to Webster and come back to me

Not think it might have been managers orders to keep possession and find nagy or massengo when dropping deep to allow them to bring ball forward?

Seemed pretty apparent that was our tactic throughout and he doesn't want lavish passes from the centre backs when we are playing with a back 2 and hence more suspect to the quick counter on an interception, especially with the lack of pace between baker and Williams.

You dont know what they're asked to do by johnson but the level of managing goes beyond picking a position and a player for it and then leaving them too it. 

5 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Feel like we could have done with Taylor Moore tonight. 

Definitely, I said that to my mate down there. Think he would have been a big help tonight, but tbf can't blame LJ for keeping the same side, just one of those nights where we never really turned up, just hope we are back ready for Saturday and there are not a load of changes.

Archived