IGNORED

This is what always makes I wee about following City

southvillekiddy

We beat the third placed team away then next game lose at home to a mid-table team. Unless we are able to stop doing this we do not deserve to be in the top flight. 

You would think this is a coaching issue? and a sports psychology issue? A good team can take the energy of an exciting win (at Fulham) and control it so as to avoid a banana skin in the next game

40 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Indeed, the wonders of the championship. The best teams in the league don't blow hot and cold. Striker in January, keep the performance levels up and we might be in the playoff mix...

Hope you are right mate because we are in an even better position this season than when we bottled getting big signings at Christmas two years ago.

I wonder what Ashton and Sir Steve are planning

Please not consolidation, consolidation, consolidation again, again.

17 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Hope you are right mate because we are in an even better position this season than when we bottled getting big signings at Christmas two years ago.

Too much consolidation leads to constipation.

And last night, some of them played like they had it.

21 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

We beat the third placed team away then next game lose at home to a mid-table team. Unless we are able to stop doing this we do not deserve to be in the top flight. 

You would think this is a coaching issue? and a sports psychology issue? A good team can take the energy of an exciting win (at Fulham) and control it so as to avoid a banana skin in the next game

It has been a City habit for as long as I have watched them.

22 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

We beat the third placed team away then next game lose at home to a mid-table team. ..........

You make it sound as though Millwall is an average to poor team. Yes, the club is mid table but it’s only 5 points behind City. Millwall’s recent form under new manager Gary Rowett is better than City’s with 12 points from the last 6 matches. 

10 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

You make it sound as though Millwall is an average to poor team. Yes, the club is mid table but it’s only 5 points behind City. Millwall’s recent form under new manager Gary Rowett is better than City’s with 12 points from the last 6 matches. 

Okay mate. I didn't make anything sound like anything. I didn't comment on Millwall's ability I said they were mid -table. There are no easy games in this League  but which was the more difficult game Fulham Away or Millwall at home?

Would you say Millwall are a better side than Fulham?

17 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Okay mate. I didn't make anything sound like anything. I didn't comment on Millwall's ability I said they were mid -table. There are no easy games in this League  but which was the more difficult game Fulham Away or Millwall at home?

Based on  current form Fulham and Millwall are equal, with both achieving 12 points from the last 6 matches. It’s current form that counts not league position 

22 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

To be fair Millwall were in good form, just as good as Fulham and us so I wasn’t surprised it was a tough game, and Millwall played very well, last 6 games form guide is this, so not getting easier with Blackburn to play Saturday!

1 West Bromwich Albion 6 +12 18
2 Leeds United 6 +11 18
3 Blackburn Rovers 6 +4 15
4 Cardiff City 6 +4 13
5 Fulham 6 +4 12
6 Millwall 6 +3 12
7 Bristol City 6 +1 10
8 Brentford 6 +8 9

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Based on  current form Fulham and Millwall are equal, with both achieving 12 points from the last 6 matches. It’s current form that counts not league position 

How do you explain Leeds and West Brom being 1st and 2nd if League position isn't important? Their "current" form has been consistent for 21 games. That's my main point. We're inconsistent, brilliant away, poor at home. Why? Can you explain it please. Maybe I didn't emphasise this sufficiently but it's our home form that is so disappointing. Looking at the season so far we could have been at least clear 3rd or challenging for 2nd if we had not lost or drawn at home to teams beneath us? 

Draws with:

Brum

Swans

Wigan

Middlesborough

Loss to:

Hull City

that represents 11 points lost which would have put us on 46 points, 3rd place on goal difference and miles clear of 4th..

I imagine many on here would agree that City are frequently disappointing at Home. This is a major issue for the Club if we are to progress.

14 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

How do you explain Leeds and West Brom being 1st and 2nd if League position isn't important? Their "current" form has been consistent for 21 games. That's my main point. We're inconsistent, brilliant away, poor at home. Why? Can you explain it please. Maybe I didn't emphasise this sufficiently but it's our home form that is so disappointing. Looking at the season so far we could have been at least clear 3rd or challenging for 2nd if we had not lost or drawn at home to teams beneath us? 

Draws with:

Brum

Swans

Wigan

Middlesborough

Loss to:

Hull City

that represents 11 points lost which would have put us on 46 points, 3rd place on goal difference and miles clear of 4th..

I imagine many on here would agree that City are frequently disappointing at Home. This is a major issue for the Club if we are to progress.

Err...

Birmingham- this was away.

Hull? Won 3-1 there.

Additionally, if we're going down that road a bit- Leeds lost at home to Swansea. West Brom drew away to Wigan just last night! 

Football- Higher ranked side beats lesser side? Doesn't work like that- this League less than ever!

West Brom also drew at home to Millwall and Reading...Leeds lost at Millwall.

That 11 points looks a bit less now.

I say this regularly.

Our players, on their day, are good but they don't perform at their top level every week so if a couple are on an "off" day the team plays badly and looses - pretty obvious.

My argument is this. If the bulk of our players performed at their best week in week out they would not be at Bristol City they would be playing in the Prem. Only the "big" teams in the championship can attract and hold onto players who regularly perform to the levels ours do when on there game. Like it or not we are not one of the "big" teams so we end up with talented but inconsistent players.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Err...

Birmingham- this was away.

Hull? Won 3-1 there.

Additionally, if we're going down that road a bit- Leeds lost at home to Swansea. West Brom drew away to Wigan just last night! 

Football- Higher ranked side beats lesser side? Doesn't work like that- this League less than ever!

West Brom also drew at home to Millwall and Reading...Leeds lost at Millwall.

That 11 points looks a bit less now.

Thing is mate you are not addressing the big picture. Why have we struggled to establish a Home advantage under LJ presently but also stretching back into the past? There is a problem?

1 minute ago, southvillekiddy said:

Thing is mate you are not addressing the big picture. Why have we struggled to establish a Home advantage under LJ presently but also stretching back into the past? There is a problem?

Counterattacking styles will play a role with that- much easier to do this when you don't or your game plan isn't centred around control of the ball, the game. Not that it's a catchall solution but it can help!

18 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

The big problem is this league just doesn't work like that. Surely we've been in it long enough to know that?

This is not a Bristol City problem, it happens to pretty much everyone in this league. That's not making excuses for it, it's just really important to know it's not exclusive to us. I see that because I cover the entire division, not just follow Bristol City around.

Believe me, it's incredibly difficult to back up good results over and over again. Only West Bromwich Albion and Leeds United have been able to do it and they are, without doubt, the best in the division. 

I have to point out, too, that we've only suffered back-to-back losses twice in 13 months. Not bad considering the "streaky Johnson" tag and suggests we're way more consistent than we give our own team credit for.

4 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

The big problem is this league just doesn't work like that. Surely we've been in it long enough to know that?

This is not a Bristol City problem, it happens to pretty much everyone in this league. That's not making excuses for it, it's just really important to know it's not exclusive to us. I see that because I cover the entire division, not just follow Bristol City around.

Believe me, it's incredibly difficult to back up good results over and over again. Only West Bromwich Albion and Leeds United have been able to do it and they are, without doubt, the best in the division. 

I have to point out, too, that we've only suffered back-to-back losses twice in 13 months. Not bad considering the "streaky Johnson" tag.

Quite right- and even they aren't infallible! Leeds lost to Charlton, Millwall and Swansea this season e.g.

West Brom drew with Wigan albeit away, as well as at home- yes at home- vs Reading, Millwall and Barnsley.

Nature of the League.

On 10/12/2019 at 22:41, southvillekiddy said:

Oh dear.

This again. 

Could we have spent the money in January 2018 better? Very much so!

Would be interested to see the financial workings, in line with FFP and in the knowledge that at that time, there was the very real risk at that time of in-season points deductions, or demotions from top 2 or top 6 for breaches and especially significant ones!

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh dear.

This again. 

Could we have spent the money in January 2018 better? Very much so!

Would be interested to see the financial workings, in line with FFP and in the knowledge that at that time, there was the very real risk at that time of in-season points deductions, or demotions from top 2 or top 6 for breaches and especially significant ones!

You got evidence to support that view mate?

Archived