IGNORED

The progress we have made in two years

Alan Dicks

14 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Much better midfield? We had Brownhill two years ago, and I would argue that Smith is better than Nagy and Massengo. Based on what i saw today anyway. Also, our centre backs aren't that exceptional

Smith is better than Nagy and Massengo?

Wow

22 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We probably haven't seen enough of Nagy to judge. He was woeful tonight. Massengo would seem to have a good future ahead of him, but Smith is better at this point in time IMO

Love Korey and he’s been a great servant but right now he isn’t in the same league as either massengo or Nagy 

25 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

We probably haven't seen enough of Nagy to judge. He was woeful tonight. Massengo would seem to have a good future ahead of him, but Smith is better at this point in time IMO

Thought Nagy was one of our better players tonight. Tried to drive forward from holding midfield but no one was supporting him. He was miles better than Brownhill that’s for sure

5 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Where did we finish that season? We’re 4th and more likely to stay up there this season. If you’re not happy with where we are as a club then I suggest going down the road to see how they’re doing 

Maybe if Johnson doesn't have another record breaking 8 defeats on the bounce again.

I think the issue is that we know the players can do better than they did tonight. 

I'll ask the following questions to the forum. 

- Has LJ improved as a manager with us?

- Are LJs team selections sensible, considered, and logical? 

- Has he learned from his errors? 

Ignore the signings, which have come to light are more Mark's area, that I wrongfully have lamblasted LJ for in the past (Engvall, Magnússon, Paterson, Tomlin), Ignore the personality, ignore the the first two years of LJs reign, lets look at this from what we can fairly firmly call is a period where this should be "LJs Team". 

The most important thing for me is a facet that LJ has banged on about repeatedly, but I see no evidence of. 

An Identity.

As far as I know, we don't have one, warning in regards to my crap analogy towards the end. 

We don't have anything I'd call an identity, a 'character' or theme to our play. We've previously had quick transitions, high press intensity (our best period imo, start of the season of the cup run), we had some the silky patient build up play marshalled by Webster, Kalas, Pack, among others. Followed by the 'Run the ball / play into the inside line and smash crosses into the box' approach that we've had this season and last in varying forms since March. 

You can pick most teams out in the Championship and they have a strategy, a character, an Identity, and I think tonight was the best lesson of it. 

Millwall were what we expected them to be. 

Millwall.

You play to your identity at home, you set the tempo, the setting, pace, intensity, stretch the opposition, make your mark on the game, football at home should be the canvas, the blueprint of a team. 

Yet we're scared to make a mark, take the initiative, intent, the purpose, making thoughts and theories reality.

We walked up to our canvas, stared at it for 70 minutes, then marked a red line on it.

It aleady had a lion on it before we kicked a ball tonight.

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Genuine question, what do we say if we finish 12th this season for example? I think we are a long way off being a playoff side and can see the grind of december and January causing us to drop out of the playoffs. 

It is strange how some teams are up and down a lot and others barely move. You just know there are teams in the premier league now, that will drop down below us (maybe even to league 1) and be back up again while we still contemplate a play-off push! At some point progression must mean achieving something.

Is this thread some kind of sick joke?  OP, why are you on such a troll mission?  Where did we finish in that season you've pictured before Xmas?

Oh, shit, City have lost at home to Millwall in a crap, drab affair, let's try to wind up OTIB by showing a league table of a time we were riding very high, but subsequently fell very short.

What's the point in this?

17 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Is this thread some kind of sick joke?  OP, why are you on such a troll mission?  Where did we finish in that season you've pictured before Xmas?

Oh, shit, City have lost at home to Millwall in a crap, drab affair, let's try to wind up OTIB by showing a league table of a time we were riding very high, but subsequently fell very short.

What's the point in this?

The proof that it's either a wind up or an agenda is the fact that he doesn't post when we win.

Many peoples view on progression is simply points and/or position in the table. Unfortunately that can give a manager 5/10 or even 15 years in the same division by peddling that same view. 

Clearly we are as a club a much better outfit in many respects, but where it matters and pound-for-pound, I still think we miss the basics of the game too often. A lack of ideas or a footballing brain between the ears shows itself too often. We'll struggle to get promotion any time soon. 

LJ is a great coach, but he has weaknesses that I feel will severely limit our chances. Principally an inability to perform at home or impose our game on others. To be outthought at home all too often is a very black mark on anyone's coaching CV. Home form has to be bread and butter, for your promotion chances and for turnover. 

I think, though I'm guessing, that the team is coached to within an inch of it's life, unable to improvise or adapt. 

At home we freeze and seem unable to pass where we want to pass because the players are under strict instruction on exactly what to do. 

Any coach that sits just above the relegation zone on home games performances needs a serious talking to about their own ability. 

51 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

This really pisses me off because the real Alan Dicks is real top guy and gentleman and wouldn't agree with 1 percent of the shit this bloke posts. 

I was thinking the exact same thing and would go as far as saying the OP should have his username changed, and if he doesn't like it, clear off.

The name Alan Dicks should be revered, not used as a wind up.

11 hours ago, !james said:

Championship 15/16 18th

Championship 16/17 17th

Championship 17/18 11th

Championship 18/19 8th

Progression. 

Progress will be determined at the end of the season not December. Far too early to be crying about a defeat to Millwall, and we may yet improve upon 8th.

Fair to say though that performance wise, where we were two years ago compared to now is a different matter, and with only a few exceptions it has been monumentally shite at home the past two seasons.

10 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

Much better midfield? We had Brownhill two years ago, and I would argue that Smith is better than Nagy and Massengo. Based on what i saw today anyway. Also, our centre backs aren't that exceptional

Smith better than Nagy or Massengo? I love Smith and he has been superb for us, but to think he should be in before those 2 is crazy (in my opinion). No point looking at "on what I saw today", because if you cannot see the bigger picture it is very short sighted. Harry Kane, Salah, De Bruyne, Mane etc etc will all have poor games but it is just part and parcel of the game itself. 

As for the opening post, it is laughable. We were great to watch for half a season and then were awful and struggled with burnt out players with nothing else to give. As said above we have more chance of staying where we are consistently with what we are doing at the moment, and the last couple of games showed what we can do and where most of us want to see how we play. The improvement all over is there to see from top to bottom since LJ has come in, he cannot take credit for all of it but to think people would be happy doing things different overall is a bit odd in my opinion. 

51 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Smith better than Nagy or Massengo? I love Smith and he has been superb for us, but to think he should be in before those 2 is crazy (in my opinion). No point looking at "on what I saw today", because if you cannot see the bigger picture it is very short sighted. Harry Kane, Salah, De Bruyne, Mane etc etc will all have poor games but it is just part and parcel of the game itself. 

As for the opening post, it is laughable. We were great to watch for half a season and then were awful and struggled with burnt out players with nothing else to give. As said above we have more chance of staying where we are consistently with what we are doing at the moment, and the last couple of games showed what we can do and where most of us want to see how we play. The improvement all over is there to see from top to bottom since LJ has come in, he cannot take credit for all of it but to think people would be happy doing things different overall is a bit odd in my opinion. 

Massengo has just turned 18 and has played 12 Championship games. Smith has years of experience and is more trustworthy at this moment in time. 

39 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Progress will be determined at the end of the season not December. Far too early to be crying about a defeat to Millwall, and we may yet improve upon 8th.

Fair to say though that performance wise, where we were two years ago compared to now is a different matter, and with only a few exceptions it has been monumentally shite at home the past two seasons.

Agreed, I wonder what our home record is over the past 50 league games?

Then how many home performances over that time - wins or not -  would we rate as having been entertaining and exciting?

Of course we should be satisfied viewing our current league position but it's regularly hard work watching City at AG, the home performances imo. have all too often been unacceptably turgid for a long time, such that a lack of excitement has now almost become the expected norm. when we turn up at AG.

I think this thread and a lot of comments on here highlight the fans demand/expectations are too high.

Fulham expected to turn up and win against us and didn’t.

A few fans here expected us to turn up and win again Millwall and we didn’t.

This happens in football, you can’t win every game 5-0 playing perfect football. There will be hames the opposition tactics nullify outs, or one player on the other team has a stormer.

After we seemingly went back to attacking ways playing to our strengths we thrashed Huddersfield and out played Fulham. It didn’t work v Millwall but may work again in our next game.

Id like to ask the people who are being so negative on this thread who they would have been accepting of us losing to? Or should we have won every game forever?

27 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Massengo has just turned 18 and has played 12 Championship games. Smith has years of experience and is more trustworthy at this moment in time. 

Wilbraham had many more years of experience than Tammy did, would you say he was a better player?

39 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

And.... Why not get Gary O Neill back then, loads of experience...... The bottom line is Smith has loads of experience and is fit and did not even make it into the squad, add to the fact he has been fit for a few weeks and Massengo and Nagy have played when they have been fit I think we can see who LJ thinks is the better player. Also LJ will be thinking of the bigger/longterm future for us and that is Massengo/Nagy (on and off the field as in development and transfer fees).

I mean Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Giggs etc etc should never have got in Man Uniteds team when they did due to their lack of experience, when there were plenty of worse players out there that could play in their positions.....

13 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think that's more luck than anything, tbh

This has to be the worst post ever put up on here.

To put that sort of progress as down to luck proves only one thing that there is still a manic anti LJ lobby on here that can't wait to seize on any adverse result to spread their bile. Every match day thread 'they' post the most, ruining it for the rest . Of course no matter who the manager might be they would turn in on him eventually, because they cannot deal with loyalty and a belief that sticking together actually helps.  

I imagine they have no concept of teamwork. 

The match threads are generally polluted by the same people if we are losing. One poster (mention no names) will post so negatively about us it is pretty ridiculous. Always "xxx misses sitter", "awful shot by xxx" and never no "great play to set up a decent chance", then at the other end it is usually along the lines of "defence awful and we should be losing", "terrible subs by LJ", "we should be further behind", "should definitely be losing if it weren't for the post/bar/keeper". I see no actual point of going on the match threads if it is just to the negatives in everything - the same as it's the same posters after a defeat they come out to moan (and usually it is a terrible moan too which makes them look even more bitter) - i.e this thread. 

Only a deaf  dumb and blind person could argue that we have'nt made progress. However, IMO this year is the crunch to see where we finish and what needs to be done to move the club forward if we don't put in a concerted promotion push. After that, who knows. As it stands we are doing ok albeit with a few frustrating blips along the way.

Archived