IGNORED

(Lack of) Atmosphere

DavidNoble

I went with a mate tonight who hasn’t been city before and he commented on how poor the atmosphere is and didn’t even know there was a singing section. 

What’s happened? Mid week matches under the lights always used to have good atmospheres but it was awful tonight and didn’t help the players. 

Just now, DavidNoble said:

I went with a mate tonight who hasn’t been city before and he commented on how poor the atmosphere is and didn’t even know there was a singing section. 

What’s happened? Mid week matches under the lights always used to have good atmospheres but it was awful tonight and didn’t help the players. 

The game was shite, so the fans usually follow suit. 

24 minutes ago, DavidNoble said:

Tonight's football was flatter than a witches tit which made the atmosphere the same, no surprise. Going to most home games is boring as ****, everyone knows it before kick off so the crowd goes meh

30 minutes ago, Little Frank said:

They need to turn the bloody lights in the stands off and stop the white stripes song.

Continually asked questions about this in the past but got fobbed off -  it’s ‘health and safety’ apparently so we need Ashton Gate to be like a living room with strip lights.   Absolutely ridiculous but it’s just another small part of the ‘new world’ of football these days. Such a shame.  

The atmosphere is crap because people don't sing anymore.

People don't sing anymore because, let's face it, it takes a fair bit of alcohol to bring out the singer's confidence,

and here we go, alcohol is too expensive these days and has been for a while so people don't drink the same quantity to get themselves half cut, meaning they don't feel free to express themselves with song.

Is this about right?

Also, and this is what I have said in the past, we no longer have the breed of fan (ringleader) who would dominate and coerce and start the songs, and we'd all feel obligated to join in.

I've noticed that these 40-something alpha males don't seem to exist anymore.  Perhaps they save their cash, wisely, for the away games.

47 minutes ago, DavidNoble said:

The lights being left on during play has completely killed the previously unique atmosphere at night games.

This 'special atmosphere of Ashton Gate under the lights' the club continuously goes on about no longer exists.

The extra lighting has killed it - and as many other clubs do not appear to follow this policy of lighting up the stands, it appears to be a choice City have made rather than something forced on them.

That being the case it would be honest of them to simply admit it, and that would include stopping all this nonsense of this so-called special atmosphere.

We're not stupid BCFC, it makes a huge difference and these night matches are no longer the extra exciting evening events they once were.

3 games in 7 days.

From the best away trip ever, to the worst home display since......the last.

All because of trying to second-guess the opposition at home?

Its not clever, it’s ******* stupid.

4-4-2 and ATTACK for **** sake ?

Another 3 days and this shit all over again ?

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The lights being left on during play has completely killed the previously unique atmosphere at night games.

This 'special atmosphere of Ashton Gate under the lights' the club continuously goes on about no longer exists.

The extra lighting has killed it - and as many other clubs do not appear to follow this policy of lighting up the stands, it appears to be a choice City have made rather than something forced on them.

That being the case it would be honest of them to simply admit it, and that would include stopping all this nonsense of this so-called special atmosphere.

We're not stupid BCFC, it makes a huge difference and these night matches are no longer the extra exciting evening events they once were.

I can't remember the lights being on in the stands at the Take That concert, so it can't be a health & safety thing.  

It's not just the ridiculous strip lighting in the stands, it's also the huge balls of light above every exit - of which there seem to be dozens.

I saw a new ground recently - perhaps Spurs -  where they had similar exits but the lighting was noticeably much dimmer and light green.

So they clearly showed up the exits but didn't cast a huge light.

It looks like City take things to the absolute max. as far as lighting is concerned where perhaps, if they have to leave them on at exits for instance, they could at least significantly lower the brightness of every light in the stadium?

8 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Never going to be a great atmos, knew it would be lowest crowd of the season, lousy weather , red button to keep a lot of s/t holders at home etc.

I thought that leaving home driving through flooded lanes, could have watched on red button, family trained up from weston to join me and got delayed, so all in all expecting a good game against Millwall made the decision easy - after the last 2 games did not think to factor in the boring at home Johnson effect - should have known better, how many years with a Johnson in charge? I remember getting to division 1 and how exciting that was but I despair at the thought of expecting a Johnson to get us there! 

3 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I can't remember the lights being on in the stands at the Take That concert, so it can't be a health & safety thing.  

Yep concert lighting or rather the lack of it was raised at the time but never answered. As was the fact that many other new / redeveloped stadiums don’t have anywhere near the amount of lights on that we do and it’s seemingly not a health and safety issue for them. The powers that be are / were seemingly not bothered about it and I guess never will be so long as us ‘customers’ keep paying the entrance fee. 

55 minutes ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

Tonight's football was flatter than a witches tit which made the atmosphere the same, no surprise. Going to most home games is boring as ****, everyone knows it before kick off so the crowd goes meh

This is spot on.

I've got my season card so I'll be there every other week this season, but, if I'm not offered better than we've put up with for the last 18 months that's it for me, it'll just be away games.

It's not a knee jerk reaction to tonight's game, is been dross for a long time, I don't care if we go up, I don't mind losing games.....I want to be entertained, I keep leaving Ashton gate stadium feeling so ripped off.

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There are always posts on the forum about lack of atmosphere / singing / supporting the team etc. As Amelia Earhart said;

“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.”

Fair play to Amelia, she always was a plane speaker.

All the old hard-core from back in the day are now probably pushing retirement age, the next generation grew up supporting Man United and not City. The generation after that are all young kids.

There aren't many 'lads ... and with all the rules about standing, smoke, drinking in the ground, not to mention the absolute fortune it costs, it's not much fun anymore. 

We're a family club now. Face reality. 

Lobby then, get together actually speak out on mass to club that you do not like the lights. Significant and sustained discussion will result in the lights being turned off

but then there would be nothing to moan about right? Talk about apathy, “Steve Lansdown has built his dream not mine” well you know, in some instances the club are not mind readers

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

Lobby then, get together actually speak out on mass to club that you do not like the lights. Significant and sustained discussion will result in the lights being turned off

but then there would be nothing to moan about right? Talk about apathy, “Steve Lansdown has built his dream not mine” well you know, in some instances the club are not mind readers

People have tried. It fell on deaf ears. The SAG is very much a closed shop 

Archived