IGNORED

(Lack of) Atmosphere

DavidNoble

Apart from winning football - there's a few things that could improve the atmosphere in my opinion

1. Have the 'singing section' closer to the away fans - either in the same stand, directly adjacent to or next to eachother in corners of different stands
  2. Less Downsy - he doesn't need to talk as much as he does
  3. More appropriate music - if they MUST have music, please please sack off 'Seven Nation Army' - it's the sort of thing you'd expect from Reading or Watford. Generic, boring and unimaginative. @Matt Parsons  please pass that on, easy change to make. Explore what other clubs do for pre-match music and come up with something imaginative. 

Games against Millwall used to be some of the best for atmosphere given the potential for needle. In 07/08, when the EE just had a few hundred fans, the atmosphere would've been far better. We have much bigger attendances now but the atmosphere is far worse. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Apart from winning football - there's a few things that could improve the atmosphere in my opinion

1. Have the 'singing section' closer to the away fans - either in the same stand, directly adjacent to or next to eachother in corners of different stands
  3. More appropriate music - if they MUST have music, please please sack off 'Seven Nation Army' - it's the sort of thing you'd expect from Reading or Watford. Generic, boring and unimaginative. @Matt Parsons  please pass that on, easy change to make. Explore what other clubs do for pre-match music and come up with something imaginative. 

Games against Millwall used to be some of the best for atmosphere given the potential for needle. In 07/08, when the EE just had a few hundred fans, the atmosphere would've been far better. We have much bigger attendances now but the atmosphere is far worse. 

It seem so obvious to me. Just play some Massive Attack.

Local band, and would build up the atmosphere rather than just being a repetitive dirge.  

1 minute ago, redsince1994 said:

It seem so obvious to me. Just play some Massive Attack.

Local band, and would build up the atmosphere rather than just being a repetitive dirge.  

Birmingham City use "Turn The Page" by The Streets to great effect. Quite special in my opinion, builds atmosphere, local artist (and fan) plus totally unique. 

'Seven Nation Army' is the total opposite of that - generic, boring, unimaginative, plastic and a horrible choice. The thing that annoys me most about that is that it's obvious our fans would hate that, so who are the people in charge of the music? Obviously people with no understanding of the fan base. 

@Phileas Fogg you cant compare the EE of 2007 to the singing section of now. Lads behind that were trying to move away from singing sections. Having a singing section is part of the problem. The singing section was used to shut down fans elsewhere. Fans in the Dolman have been told if they want to sing they should go in the singing section.  Fans in the Dolman have been told if they want to put a flag up its no because that is only allowed in the singing section. Result is a quieter stand. A quieter ground as predicted by fans before the redevelopment took place. 

Remembering the fiery past clashes (quite literally!) with Millwall it's bananas to think we have a thread about the lack of atmosphere - the state of modern football eh! 

Personally reckon we just need to do the obvious - turn a blind eye to heavy drinking, turn a blind eye to persistent standing, have away fans closer to the pitch, split the Atyeo between home and away fans for games without a big following and cut out the PA nonsense and all attempts to force an atmosphere. Atmosphere at football is an organic thing and the idea of a singing section is embarassing in the first place. 

They need to get rid of 'Section 82' and make the entire east end unreserved seating. Atmosphere comes from large groups of friends joining in together which is why it's better on away days.

It also doesn't help people only come out just as the game kicks off - I used to love walking up to Ashton Gate and you could already hear the singing and atmosphere building from across the other side of the park.

27 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Birmingham City use "Turn The Page" by The Streets to great effect. Quite special in my opinion, builds atmosphere, local artist (and fan) plus totally unique. 

'Seven Nation Army' is the total opposite of that - generic, boring, unimaginative, plastic and a horrible choice. The thing that annoys me most about that is that it's obvious our fans would hate that, so who are the people in charge of the music? Obviously people with no understanding of the fan base. 

Infuriating isn't it. Bristol is one of the most important cities for the development of so many different areas of the UK music scene, so there is such a huge pool of relevant and better music to choose from.

And we get SNA.

12 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

This. I thought it was a bit of a cheek of Brownhill to try and rouse the crowd late on. Nothing whatsoever to deserve it

So you are saying that you won’t give the team abit of support, not even when we are chasing a goal and our Captain is asking for abit of noise, all because you think they do not deserve it?

Yet some wonder why the atmosphere was shit.

Top ‘support’ that

1 hour ago, Red 90 said:

They need to get rid of 'Section 82' and make the entire east end unreserved seating. Atmosphere comes from large groups of friends joining in together which is why it's better on away days.

It also doesn't help people only come out just as the game kicks off - I used to love walking up to Ashton Gate and you could already hear the singing and atmosphere building from across the other side of the park.

I believe that there is a 10% capacity reduction that is mandatory for unreserved seating- would/could club take the hit of 10% of South Stand being unoccupied?

That said, I largely agree with your post. Unsure about getting rid of s82 though! 

1 hour ago, Three Lions said:

Fans in the Dolman have been told if they want to sing they should go in the singing section.

Quoted one bit of your post as l I find it fairly stunning and part of me wonders if it's been lost in translation.

Now if you mean by singing stand and sing then it makes more sense. Not saying I agree with it but it follows, makes sense in the current state of play.

Back row standing, bit of noise cascading down? Obviously singing up to stand is more narural- but need to start somewhere, make some small steps out of an unpromising situation.

1 hour ago, Highguy said:

Maybe the lack of atmosphere could be down to the fact we’re not allowed to stand up compared to away games where most of fans stand the whole game 

That's often how it is in the modern game unfortunately. From what I read on a Tweet by FSF Faircop a while ago, it basically suggested that the way crowd management has evolved is that clubs or Safety Officers take a less hard-line but a more pragmatic approach with away fans when it comes to standing as basically home fans largely have season tickets, are regular.

Easier to control and identify basically , whereas away fans once a year and if a big mass of travelling fans or even whatever number decide they're standing, the pragmatic approach seems to be trying to manage it...at AG we see it with the Singing Section where it's allowed and at times, to an extent, the top row of the Dolman and South Stand.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

At the Hawthorns and Craven Cottage it is just music as the build up, pumping music of differing genres, classical and rock, and no nonsense on the mic. I don’t need to know “the boys are in the tunnel.” Just shut up! It just bc sounds ridiculous. 
Personally, I preferred William Tell and One for the Bristol City, but I’m happy for something else more atmosphere building if someone can suggest anything. Idles? I fear Massive  Attack may be too soporific 

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I believe that there is a 10% capacity reduction that is mandatory for unreserved seating- would/could club take the hit of 10% of South Stand being unoccupied?

That said, I largely agree with your post. Unsure about getting rid of s82 though! 

There's probably a 10% reduction in there anyway as although it always says its full there are plenty of empty seats every weeks. Do you know why for unreserved a reduction is mandatory? I understand with standing but not for that? The club wouldn't lose money on the reduction anyway as there is plenty of other seating around the ground.

I like section 82, they got a lot of stick on here but you cant rely on a small corner to provide atmosphere.. We need them behind the goal with the WHOLE stand joining in not just call it a 'section'! The williams is a joke it's like a corporate box and the Dolman isn't what it used to be so we need an entire end IMO. 

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

At the Hawthorns and Craven Cottage it is just music as the build up, pumping music of differing genres, classical and rock, and no nonsense on the mic. I don’t need to know “the boys are in the tunnel.” Just shut up! It just bc sounds ridiculous. 
Personally, I preferred William Tell and One for the Bristol City, but I’m happy for something else more atmosphere building if someone can suggest anything. Idles? I fear Massive  Attack may be too soporific 

There's so much potential, we've had some great choices in the past - Knights of Cydonia by Muse and Slam! by Pendulum were two in recent years I felt were great choices for pre-kick off tunes. 

Seven Nation Army riff being looped with Downsy bleeting on about 'It's nearly time!' and 'the boys are in the tunnel!' is awful by comparison and needs to be binned off. 

12 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's not just the ridiculous strip lighting in the stands, it's also the huge balls of light above every exit - of which there seem to be dozens.

I saw a new ground recently - perhaps Spurs -  where they had similar exits but the lighting was noticeably much dimmer and light green.

So they clearly showed up the exits but didn't cast a huge light.

It looks like City take things to the absolute max. as far as lighting is concerned where perhaps, if they have to leave them on at exits for instance, they could at least significantly lower the brightness of every light in the stadium?

Back in the days of darkness the lights in the stands used to be put on 5 or 10 mins before HT and left on the same length of time after. Same for the beginning and the end of the match. I thought it was a great signal when the lights went off to settle down and get on with the match, and at HT when the lights went on you knew you had 10 mins or so before the teams could go in and assess the situation and make changes etc. The lights were a natural way of dividing the match up. So much better for atmosphere and viewing.

@PhileasFogg yes fans in the Dolman have been told they cant stand up to sing even if they then sit down. If you want to do that you have to go in the singing section. it goer further remember the ultra and loyal flag ban?? after that the club change the rules for flags in the Dolman you know can have ultra and loyal on a flag but because S82 are allowed this flags cant be displayed in the Dolman now. it all has an effect people just give up. the characters who used to lead chants don't lead chants. its less fun and boring to do it. the singing section itself has been used to gentrify the ground. 

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There's so much potential, we've had some great choices in the past - Knights of Cydonia by Muse and Slam! by Pendulum were two in recent years I felt were great choices for pre-kick off tunes. 

Seven Nation Army riff being looped with Downsy bleeting on about 'It's nearly time!' and 'the boys are in the tunnel!' is awful by comparison and needs to be binned off. 

I think the whole segment needs to re thought ie use of videos, music, team info etc. If done properly it could be really good

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Back in the days of darkness the lights in the stands used to be put on 5 or 10 mins before HT and left on the same length of time after. Same for the beginning and the end of the match. I thought it was a great signal when the lights went off to settle down and get on with the match, and at HT when the lights went on you knew you had 10 mins or so before the teams could go in and assess the situation and make changes etc. The lights were a natural way of dividing the match up. So much better for atmosphere and viewing.

Ha ha, it still gets dark RedM, it's just at AG night matches you wouldn't know it!

If lights have to be left on in the stands for some reason ( and I really doubt that's the case) the club could at least take note of our dissatisfaction and significantly reduce the brightness.

Anyway, I notice from the thread within a thread above I've been wasting my time commenting on this for years.

The club clearly couldn't care less that the atmosphere their overlit AG provides for night games is unsatisfactory and spoiling the enjoyment for many.

18 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Ha ha, it still gets dark RedM, it's just at AG night matches you wouldn't know it!

If lights have to be left on in the stands for some reason ( and I really doubt that's the case) the club could at least take note of our dissatisfaction and significantly reduce the brightness.

Anyway, I notice from the thread within a thread above I've been wasting my time commenting on this for years.

The club clearly couldn't care less that the atmosphere their overlit AG provides for night games is unsatisfactory and spoiling the enjoyment for many.

probably so the CCTV works better, not for the crowd’s safety!

38 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

@PhileasFogg yes fans in the Dolman have been told they cant stand up to sing even if they then sit down. If you want to do that you have to go in the singing section. it goer further remember the ultra and loyal flag ban?? after that the club change the rules for flags in the Dolman you know can have ultra and loyal on a flag but because S82 are allowed this flags cant be displayed in the Dolman now. it all has an effect people just give up. the characters who used to lead chants don't lead chants. its less fun and boring to do it. the singing section itself has been used to gentrify the ground. 

Ok.. not sure why you're addressing that to me personally though

1 hour ago, Red 90 said:

There's probably a 10% reduction in there anyway as although it always says its full there are plenty of empty seats every weeks. Do you know why for unreserved a reduction is mandatory? I understand with standing but not for that? The club wouldn't lose money on the reduction anyway as there is plenty of other seating around the ground.

I like section 82, they got a lot of stick on here but you cant rely on a small corner to provide atmosphere.. We need them behind the goal with the WHOLE stand joining in not just call it a 'section'! The williams is a joke it's like a corporate box and the Dolman isn't what it used to be so we need an entire end IMO. 

You might be right, will have to look up properly the 10% thing and see if it applies to standing or unreserved seating- maybe the standing thing! Certainly seems to check out based on some quick googling but with the Internet who knows.... I would have thought that yes, there is a 10% reduction in the Singing Section

Agree- I've long wanted a whole end behind the goal for standing/singing etc. The Dolman can be alright but not so much now, not for a while, and the Williams- well that's always going to be a bit of a losing battle really. Family area, corporate area,, the most expensive tickets in the ground overall, or on average? Yes, I've never- and especially as it is now, the 2 tier Lansdown- I've never expected much atmosphere from there!

Decent piece on standing, persistent standing or otherwise.

https://www.safeandtrained.com/persistent-standing-time-for-a-change/

2 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

So you are saying that you won’t give the team abit of support, not even when we are chasing a goal and our Captain is asking for abit of noise, all because you think they do not deserve it?

Yet some wonder why the atmosphere was shit.

Top ‘support’ that

If I've paid good money and traipsed halfway across Bristol to see a game, the least I expect is some effort - and that was sadly lacking from some last night. 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not even just that. I have quite poor and sensitive eyesight, and I can’t go to night matches without sunglasses and a baseball cap on now.

Ashton Gate used to be a genuinely interesting, atmospheric, intimidating and exciting ground. USED to be.

Archived