IGNORED

Inconsistency is key.

Bs4Red

For me the reason we won’t make the play offs again. Too often do we take 2 steps forward and 1 step back. 

Its so hard to put a finger on how different the same team can look in the space of two weeks. 

From Brom away and this evenings appalling performances there were two quite magnificent sandwiched between. 

You can spin it any way you like, injuries, tiredness etc but that is the difference between top 2, top 6 and top 10.

The only saving grace it seems is many teams around us are also stuttering. 

Hopefully we can find that formula again and put a consistent winning run together again. 

2 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

For me the reason we won’t make the play offs again. Too often do we take 2 steps forward and 1 step back. 

Its so hard to put a finger on how different the same team can look in the space of two weeks. 

From Brom away and this evenings appalling performances there were two quite magnificent sandwiched between. 

You can spin it any way you like, injuries, tiredness etc but that is the difference between top 2, top 6 and top 10.

The only saving grace it seems is many teams around us are also stuttering. 

Hopefully we can find that formula again and put a consistent winning run together again. 

Cant disagree with that. There is not a lot of difference between our performances now...and our performances last season or the season before 

We will be top 10 this year...but our home form will let us down again . LJ just can't seem to get it right at home sadly .... especially against teams like Millwall and Preston 

I find it a bit concerning that after almost 4 years (?) we're still so inconsistent. I'd expect it from maybe a new team with big changes but we're half way through the season now. Otherwise maybe a new manger but Lee has been here a long time and it's without question his setup, tactics, and team through and through now.

Same team for three games and we blow one team away, a solid and impressive away performance, then absolute litter at home when the players look like they've never seen the tactics or each other before.

Very odd - maybe just a bad day at the office but it feels like it's more regular than I like... And makes me wonder if it was in fact two good days at the office instead.

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I find it a bit concerning that after almost 4 years (?) we're still so inconsistent. I'd expect it from maybe a new team with big changes but we're half way through the season now. Otherwise maybe a new manger but Lee has been here a long time and it's without question his setup, tactics, and team through and through now.

Same team for three games and we blow one team away, a solid and impressive away performance, then absolute litter at home when the players look like they've never seen the tactics or each other before.

Very odd - maybe just a bad day at the office but it feels like it's more regular than I like... And makes me wonder if it was in fact two good days at the office instead.

The tactics were pretty garbage though. Eliasson was outstanding against Huddersfield and Fulham because he could pick out gaps between the defenders and get into spaces.

How was he ever going to find a gap between those three gigantic centre backs? We needed to get it around their feet. Monk has obviously seen the last two matches and worked out exactly how to keep us quiet if we stayed unchanged.

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Progressing league positions whilst selling best players and making profit is pretty poor 

Fair point, but honest question:

Given the level of expenditure off the field, the time in position (i.e. confidence to build something himself in the knowledge he will likely be allowed to see it through even if he has a poor run), and the level of expenditure on players would you expect anything else?

Not saying that meeting expectation is bad of course! I think Lee is doing a decent job - but I would say he's mostly meeting expectations and no more given the above, personally. Many managers wouldn't do that no doubt.

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Weird how most opposition fans looking in really rate him, yet some on here seem to think he’s awful (despite every stat saying the opposite)

Never said he was awful. Just not as good as some make out he is 

You don't exactly see a queue of clubs looking to poach him either do you ....

4 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

The tactics were pretty garbage though. Eliasson was outstanding against Huddersfield and Fulham because he could pick out gaps between the defenders and get into spaces.

How was he ever going to find a gap between those three gigantic centre backs? We needed to get it around their feet. Monk has obviously seen the last two matches and worked out exactly how to keep us quiet if we stayed unchanged.

Sure, but that still doesn't to me explain the lack of either motivation or understanding - the movement, the passing, the desire, it was like a different team to me.

If Eliasson not being able to find space turns us from two fantastic performances into tonight that's pretty concerning!

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Fair point, but honest question:

Given the level of expenditure off the field, the time in position (i.e. confidence to build something himself in the knowledge he will likely be allowed to see it through even if he has a poor run), and the level of expenditure on players would you expect anything else?

Not saying that meeting expectation is bad of course! I think Lee is doing a decent job - but I would say he's mostly meeting expectations and no more given the above, personally. Many managers wouldn't do that no doubt.

I think bearing in mind he has to sell every summer he’s exceeding expectation. I can see us continuing to make profit and being in and around play offs in the next few years. I’m absolutely fine with that but know a lot won’t be. 

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

Never said he was awful. Just not as good as some make out he is 

You don't exactly see a queue of clubs looking to poach him either do you ....

I’ve yet to see a queue of clubs trying to get Bielsa, yet many would say he’s the best manager in the league. Weird way of looking at things. 

I’d say the progress we’ve made since he took over has been superb

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

I think bearing in mind he has to sell every summer he’s exceeding expectation. I can see us continuing to make profit and being in and around play offs in the next few years. I’m absolutely fine with that but know a lot won’t be. 

That's fair, although that's the life of a manager at any club apart from a dozen in the world and is clearly part of our strategy so it's obviously well known and planned for (you would hope). You could argue that also means we've had a steady stream of premier league quality players in our squad which finishes mid table in the championship - it's not that clear cut I know though of course.

13 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Weird how most opposition fans looking in really rate him, yet some on here seem to think he’s awful (despite every stat saying the opposite)

The stat about us having one of the worst defensive records in the league doesn't say the opposite. Neither does the one about us being made to look woeful at home by a mid-table team... Again

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

The stat about us having one of the worst defensive records in the league doesn't say the opposite. Neither does the one about us being made to look woeful at home by a mid-table team... Again

And yet we are still 4th, I reckon you hate that. 

And that was only our second defeat at home this season, the only other being v a superb Leeds side. Not too bad that in all honesty 

12 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Sure, but that still doesn't to me explain the lack of either motivation or understanding - the movement, the passing, the desire, it was like a different team to me.

If Eliasson not being able to find space turns us from two fantastic performances into tonight that's pretty concerning!

Don’t get me wrong, everyone played awful and couldn’t string a 5 yd pass together.

Then they all look to Eliasson to whip it in and Millwall were happy with that, we had no other real attacking threat.

22 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

We need Kalas back, the man was an absolute leviathan last season.

And competition at left back, Rowe looked slightly off the pace tonight. He has been outstanding thus far but could probably do with JD coming back.

Don’t know if Kalas would have made much difference tonight.  What did for us tonight was our usual inability to outwit a packed defence.  Lack of movement and lack of speed in moving the ball was the problem.  I have no problems passing the back around while looking fir an opening, but you have to do it far quicker than we did tonight.

We lined up 4-4-2.

Straight from kick off the formation was totally different from the previous 2 games for some reason. 

Johnson tried to be clever and got destroyed tactically.

Weimann was DEFINITELY NOT playing as a striker tonight. 

Once again, a tried and tested system has been changed for the sake of it. 

The same team as Saturday, but different and baffling instructions. 

33 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

This is why I think we are underachieving this season. If we consistently played to the standard that we're capable of, we'd be top two. 

I mean,  I'm unsure on top 2. West Brom,  Leeds and at times- but only at times- Fulham,  have looked excellent, dominant sides.

Top 6 though,  playoffs and fairly secure in it? Yeah,  would concur- and playoffs should definitely be something we're aiming at this season IMO.

Not playing like that first half and indeed first hour especially though we won't be!

There are only two teams showing any consistency at the moment and that’s Leeds and WBA who are running away with it.

Fulham have now lost two on the bounce, Notts Forest haven’t won for three games yet remain in 4th.

Its a crazy league. 6 points from the last 9 wouldn’t have seemed so bad if someone said two weeks ago we would beat Huddersfield and Millwall but lose to Fulham.  We just got the Millwall and Fulham results back to front.

Same team 3 games on the trot! The only change tonight is the system - so is it the players fault? Because if it isn’t - who is at fault?

nah can’t be the coach! - is it the 20k fans who paid to be entertained? and then kept fairly quiet until the team showed some fight for 10 minutes!

FFS Come on ye reds - come on LJ! Get it right! all that studying and statistics are no good to anyone if the decisions for the 90 are crap!

Archived