IGNORED

Inconsistency is key.

Bs4Red

I thought Johnson was going make changes tonight but he stuck with the same team that won and played well last 2 games (fair enough no one can argue against it) but I think he got it wrong tonight players looked tired few overhit or underhit passes players taking to long on the ball instead moving it quicker 

few players had a poor game tonight aswell thought bentley,massengo,nagy we’re below the standards they’ve set by showing how well they can play also weimann looked completely off it tonight 

let’s hope we put it right Saturday 

How can you be inconsistent and 4th in the table? Inconsistent sides are note the ones who have lost 4 of 21 games, inconsistent would be 7 7 7. Out first defeat at home since the opening day of the season, and suddenly we are shit. 
The most inconsistent thing about this club are the supporters who only 50 minutes after two excellent performances, were screaming and booing at the very same players. 
A large percentage only want to get behind  the team when they are doing well, if they can’t take defeat, they then might as well **** off home and watch Liverpool.

9 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I wouldn't say Cotts left us in a mess. The funding was clearly pulled out from underneath him....

Because he wanted to spend the whole budget on single players who never going to come here.

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

Most teams in this league are inconsistent so I wouldn’t worry. Its why we are in the play offs now 

I don’t even think we are inconsistent. We’ve ground out a lot of points this season, never lost more than 1 game in a row and only lost 4 overall (2 against the top 2). Even Sky pundits have said LJ is losing his ‘streaky’ reputation.

Last night was disappointing, no getting away from it, but Millwall are on a good (new manager bounce?) run and looked a more than decent outfit to me. Throw in the effort needed on Saturday and you can see why the result might have been predictable. But even then we almost stole a point! 

8 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

Unfortunately these performances seem to be never too far away under Johnson. Strange. Let's be honest,  I dont think tonights performance was a complete shock to most of us. 

This. Its all so predictable especially at home.. top 10 is the best we can hope for with Johnson at the helm IMO. With the resources that have now been given you do have to wonder if he is the right individual for the job IF the job is genuinely promotion.

9 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Don’t know if Kalas would have made much difference tonight.  What did for us tonight was our usual inability to outwit a packed defence.  Lack of movement and lack of speed in moving the ball was the problem.  I have no problems passing the back around while looking fir an opening, but you have to do it far quicker than we did tonight.

Bang on. Everything was too slow allowing millwall to get back into shape. A lack of options for the player on the ball didn’t help either. First half vs Huddersfield everything was done at pace which they couldn’t live with.

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

I wouldn't say Cotts left us in a mess. The funding was clearly pulled out from underneath him....

He had funding but decided to spend it all on players outside of our range instead of improving the squad. 

And by the time he had left our league position was not looking promising and the results and performances were dire

We are where we are in the league because we are marginally better than a majority of the teams in this division.  Two wins on the spin with an unchanged side made it easier for Millwall to guess how we would set-up and to set themselves to nullify that, and it worked.  Even then, luck has played its part, Weimann had an easyish early chance and Wallace has scored a low percentage shot (their only shot on target of the half). If either of those go the other way we might be sat here this morning celebrating a win, although probably not a performance.  My point is that its a game of fine margins, and although individual results are subject to chance, we are a little bit better than a lot of the division, and  we need to trust  that that will show in the final league positions.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

How can you be inconsistent and 4th in the table? Inconsistent sides are note the ones who have lost 4 of 21 games, inconsistent would be 7 7 7. Out first defeat at home since the opening day of the season, and suddenly we are shit. 
The most inconsistent thing about this club are the supporters who only 50 minutes after two excellent performances, were screaming and booing at the very same players. 

A large percentage only want to get behind  the team when they are doing well, if they can’t take defeat, they then might as well **** off home and watch Liverpool.

Because he wanted to spend the whole budget on single players who never going to come here.

It's interesting that, as we've started losing fewer games over the last couple of years, the reaction to bad results when they do happen is far more toxic than it ever used to be. You only have to look at this place after a defeat as an example.

Maybe it's due to raised expectations, who knows?

48 minutes ago, HiddenGem7 said:

We are where we are in the league because we are marginally better than a majority of the teams in this division.  Two wins on the spin with an unchanged side made it easier for Millwall to guess how we would set-up and to set themselves to nullify that, and it worked.  Even then, luck has played its part, Weimann had an easyish early chance and Wallace has scored a low percentage shot (their only shot on target of the half). If either of those go the other way we might be sat here this morning celebrating a win, although probably not a performance.  My point is that its a game of fine margins, and although individual results are subject to chance, we are a little bit better than a lot of the division, and  we need to trust  that that will show in the final league positions.

Agree but by the time we had played 15 minutes a good coach would have changed the setup - ours just stood there ringing his hands and complaining to the officials!

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

It's interesting that, as we've started losing fewer games over the last couple of years, the reaction to bad results when they do happen is far more toxic than it ever used to be. You only have to look at this place after a defeat as an example.

Maybe it's due to raised expectations, who knows?

I wish some people understood the difference between ambitions and expectations. We all have an ambition to be a successful Premier League side that’s fair and realistic, expecting it to happen is not.

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Note to self: Don’t type on the phone first thing in the morning, before you have really woken up.  :)

My concern is the ability of our coaching staff to impact the team on the field from the technical area

Every home game we see coaches as the 12th team member barking instructions and making small changes as they are needed.

It seems LJ works mainly on the 4th official. 

When he does try to send out an instruction the reaction from the player concerned often does not show the level of respect and urgency we see form other teams

With Brownhill being a really nice guy but certainly no leader we also lack a commander on the field.

For me it would be better to make Williams the captain. He seems to have the respect of the others and can dish it out when needed as he leads by example.

Another concern is our lack of movement off the ball. We all moan when Baker makes yet another sideways pass but often when he looks up nobody is making a run for him. To hit a pass over 30 yards to a static player invites his marker to step in an nick the ball. When Millwall won possession last night they had players making runs toward the ball and others running into space giving them plenty of options. It seems we have to be 2.0 up before we have enough confidence and enthusiasm to make runs and look for the ball.

Their press all over the field was great where our was non existent

One last thing. At half time I watched our subs going through their routine. It was really clear that Palmer was just going through the motions in stark contrast to the others. When he came on he could not have looked less interested. His pre and post big contract attitude brings back worrying memories of Tomlin. 

13 hours ago, RedDave said:

Most teams in this league are inconsistent so I wouldn’t worry. Its why we are in the play offs now 

If we had narrowly lost at Fulham, but put it right with a home win v Millwall there would be a lot more optimism on here.

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

If we had narrowly lost at Fulham, but put it right with a home win v Millwall there would be a lot more optimism on here.

True. But it was the manner of defeat that depressed fans.

Second best for the majority of the match to a team with no real stars and little money. 

You have to give Rowett credit for the way 'Wall were set up to negate, but a poor performance from our "best XI" doesn't bode well. 

Let's hope we react like we did to the West Brom loss.

15 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

For me the reason we won’t make the play offs again. Too often do we take 2 steps forward and 1 step back. 

Its so hard to put a finger on how different the same team can look in the space of two weeks. 

From Brom away and this evenings appalling performances there were two quite magnificent sandwiched between. 

You can spin it any way you like, injuries, tiredness etc but that is the difference between top 2, top 6 and top 10.

The only saving grace it seems is many teams around us are also stuttering. 

Hopefully we can find that formula again and put a consistent winning run together again. 

When  or if  LJ  sorts this problem out he will  be a hell of a Manager. Let's hope he sorts it out soon.

Was chatting to a bloke in work about this. Weve both been supporting city for 30/40 years. 

Weve just smashed huddersfield, and beaten fulham away. We are playing unfancied millwall at home, and we are 4th. We are bristol city, of course we are going to balls it up.

we have had a couple of promotion seasons in the last 30 years, apart from that, if theres a way to be found of ballsing something up then we will find a way, its what we do!!!

Archived