IGNORED

Defence

wayne allisons tongues

I have been saying for a while that defensively something is not right.

It seems to have started Sheff Utd away and has continued since there.

Had a quick scan of games since then and our defensive record is 

played 31 conceded 47 goals.

6 Clean sheets 

15 times conceded 2 or more goals.

Last 10 games last season 16 conceded

This season 21 games 31 conceded.

Over 31 games we are 1.51 goals conceded a game which equals over a season 70 Goals.

This season continue conceding at same rate that’s 68 goals.

Not really sure what the answer is but surely we can’t continue conceding at this rate and stay top 4. 

And to think loads of people used to blame Marlon Pack solely for this! 

Be interesting to see the correlation between a back 3 and a back 4 in this run- I don’t think there will be any great difference between them. 

but if we look at attack vs defence in the formations I think there will be a difference- obviously difficult to fully investigate as subs etc can change shape. 

I was worried about this too. We've gone from a consistent back 4 which contained Kalas and Webster, to a defence that changes more than the weather. The way we play has also changed drastically. I like Baker but he's nowhere near Webster's level, Williams is also solid but again, not near Webster or even Kalas' level when he's on form. I think we'll be ok for the rest of the season, it should be good enough to get us in the top 6, but it definitely needs addressing next season, even more so if we get promoted. Wouldn't say it's something that needs sorting in January, just a striker or two. With the return of Kalas and Dasilva, hopefully that helps tighten the back up, can't forget we've missed arguably our best 2 defenders pretty much all season so far. 

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

Often down to players losing possession in midfield whilst on the offensive. The defence then gets exposed.

Our defending at set plays needs sorting. Too many players watching their man rather than attacking the ball.

Set plays I was going to mention. Been a big part of our poor record defensively. 

Also don’t think the formation changes and injuries have helped. Haven’t had a settled defence for ages. Kalas and Dasilva, once they are back and can get 10-15+ games in a row, I think we see a massive improvement in that area. Nothing against Baker, Williams or Rowe just think those two are much better. 

With Desilva Webster Kalas in our defence end of last season we conceded 16 goals in 10 games. 
I personally don’t think it’s the players it’s more the formations we play and basics of picking up your man on set pieces.

Last night perfect example there 2nd goal how has there player got his head to the ball. Seemed like our players just stood and watched him head it.

Archived