IGNORED

BBC investigation into high wages at Championship clubs

Never to the dark side

5 minutes ago, City18 said:

Worrying to see how large our losses were in 17/18 season. 

I've likely misinterpreted this but this suggests we made a 25.4 million loss that season. What was our profit/loss for last season if we are only allowed to make 39 million loss over 3 years? 

We made a 13 million profit last season wasn't it? Keeping us well under the 39 million, however it shows just how important it is for us to keep picking up and selling on players for a massive profit. 

Figures from Deloitte show that parachute payments, designed to help relegated clubs absorb big losses in revenue caused by dropping out of the top flight, are having a significant impact on the revenue inequality within the Championship.

Parachute payments made up more than a third of the Championship's total revenue in 2017-18 - compared to just 9% when they were introduced in 2001-02 - meaning a third of the Championship's money now comes directly from the Premier League.

The average club receiving parachute payments had a total revenue of £13m in 2001-02 against £10m for those without. 

In 2017-18 those receiving parachute payments had a total revenue of £51m against £21m for those without.

The EFL said: "The Premier League does remain an important part of the financial mix across the EFL through the provision of parachute payments and contracted solidarity payments," adding that "this assists in providing clubs with increased clarity when making long-term financial commitments."

Unusual definition of the word "clarity", unless the definition is "your financially b******d if you haven't got parachute payments".

Anyone who has followed the FFP thread will see- and many will have an idea also- just what a crazy financial League this is!!

Was widely reported that Derby posted a profit- that is the Parent/Holding/Group company which shows a small loss for that season and that includes a profit of £39-40m on the ground!

29 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

We made a 13 million profit last season wasn't it? Keeping us well under the 39 million, however it shows just how important it is for us to keep picking up and selling on players for a massive profit. 

Our profit was £12-13m but without player sales, a fantastic profit- that includes Kelly, as well as Flint, Bryan, Reid- plus the savings in a sense on Magnússon and Djuric, we'd have lost around £25m!

However, from the article in hand- just look at that! Worth noting too that Sheffield Wednesday's accounts were for 14 months.

_110092699_optimised-football_pretax_pro

Reading's too would have been £6.5m, maybe a bit more worse off without the sale and leaseback of Madejski.

However yes, we are in a decent place- but still need to be a bit mindful of that 2017/18 loss in January.

Wage bill is also a strong indicator.

Worth a look at some of these...we certainly did better than Birmingham and Reading in 2017/18! Pretty sure we had a lower one than QPR too. Sheffield Wednesday too though 14 month accounts play a part and probably need to knock about 1/7 off to get the best picture. Probably more too but not checked properly!

Oh and Sunderland- they fell like a stone.

Nothing particularly new in that report - we all know clubs are living way beyond their means at all levels.

Thanks to SL for putting the money in - its a shame some people moan about him. I don't see a queue of people wanting to take over this club and if someone did there is no guarantee that they would be a good fit for the club - could easily get a Hull City or Cardiff type owner.

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Nothing particularly new in that report - we all know clubs are living way beyond their means at all levels.

Thanks to SL for putting the money in - its a shame some people moan about him. I don't see a queue of people wanting to take over this club and if someone did there is no guarantee that they would be a good fit for the club - could easily get a Hull City or Cardiff type owner.

I think you are wrong here, I have seen and heard gasheads say that SL can't wait to ditch us and run off with the rugby club and basketball teams. It must be true.

58 minutes ago, Midred said:

So thats why John Humphreys always got paid more than his female co presenters!

Make up your mind..........your statement was in regard to discrepancies between FOOTBALL PLAYERS!? .............I haven't seen John Humphries don his boots for sometime?   If your talking about BBC presenters?, that's a completely different discussion.

On 12/12/2019 at 08:30, City18 said:

Worrying to see how large our losses were in 17/18 season. 

I've likely misinterpreted this but this suggests we made a 25.4 million loss that season. What was our profit/loss for last season if we are only allowed to make 39 million loss over 3 years? 

We're making an operating loss before player sales of about £25m per year so we need to sell players roughly at a profit of £12m per year.

Last season we made profits on player sales of something like £36m so we're fine for three years even if we don't sell anymore.

£25m is an eye-watering sum though, we laugh at the gas for losing only about a tenth of that.

38 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Make up your mind..........your statement was in regard to discrepancies between FOOTBALL PLAYERS!? .............I haven't seen John Humphries don his boots for sometime?   If your talking about BBC presenters?, that's a completely different discussion.

Sorry! I was tryimg to link the irony of the BBC investigating other people's wages with their own fantasy wage rates!

Going one further with the male/female differences in both cases.

Apologies for amy confusion.

Archived