IGNORED

Still in fourth place

Major Isewater

This division again proves how tough it is .

The Owls missed their chance to take third spot as the Rooney effect saw the Rams come from behind to nick a point. 

Promotion certs were held by relegation certs .

We breathe and can now take advantage of a Blackburn Rovers side who will be without star man and all round gentleman Dack and also played twenty minutes with ten men.

We have been given an opportunity here. 

Now City , NO EXCUSES FOR SATURDAY.

Bit worried about Brentford, coming up on the rails.

Off the top of my head, since late September only the top 2 have taken more points than them- certainly could check it though! They seem to dominate a lot of games and especially since they went to 4-3-3- play Fulham this weekend, a draw in that one maybe ideal.

Not altogether surprised at their run though- had them down as likely top 6 contenders, actually they had a good 2nd half to last season and in 2018/19 started well but stalled and transitioned from Smith to Frank.

I’m pretty sure Leeds and WBA will finish in the top two spots this season, and probably by some margin too.

We seem to be in a bit of a false position at the moment. Anyone watching us against Millwall on Saturday would surely wonder how we could be in 4th place.....level on points with Fulham in 3rd.

2 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

I’m pretty sure Leeds and WBA will finish in the top two spots this season, and probably by some margin too.

We seem to be in a bit of a false position at the moment. Anyone watching us against Millwall on Saturday would surely wonder how we could be in 4th place.....level on points with Fulham in 3rd.

Anyone watching us against Millwall on Saturday must have been totally confused, as we were playing Fulham!!!

:facepalm:

2 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

I don’t really buy this “false position” claim. 21 games is a reasonable sample size - nearly half the season - and the simple fact is we have gained more points than the 20 teams below us.  We must be doing more things right than wrong.

We might have been poor against Millwall, but we were good against Huddersfield and Fulham. Why only highlight Millwall? That’s six points from three games, which is what we deserved from those games, and it’s 2 points a game which over a season correlated to a very healthy points total.

Any fan of any team in this division would be able to identify poor performances amongst the good ones. Most teams in the Championship are inconsistent and will win games they might expect to lose while losing games they might expect to win. I don’t see why our position is any more false than anyone else’s.

10 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

In the same breath you can say anyone watching us Saturday against Fulham would see why were 4th.

24 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Not sure you can be in a false position nearly halfway through a season.

25 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Anyone watching Fulham against us on Saturday would surely wonder how they could be in 3rd place.

It's worth noting that we have conceded one of the highest shots on goal this season. Injuries and structure have surely played a large part though.

It's also worth noting that our conversation rate is/has been trending above the norm. This may well have come down post Afobe.

Took a quick look and as per Sky, in the 5 games he played- once weighting out penalties and own goals, we scored 8 goals from 20 shots on target. Unsure how a penalty is weighted in terms of shots on target but that feels fairly unsustainable- with, or possibly even without Afobe.

25 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

In the same breath you can say anyone watching us Saturday against Fulham would see why were 4th.

10 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Anyone watching Fulham against us on Saturday would surely wonder how they could be in 3rd place.

Exactly this. It’s swings and roundabouts.

1 hour ago, Redtucks said:

Anyone watching us against Millwall on Saturday must have been totally confused, as we were playing Fulham!!!

:facepalm:

Yeah, I meant Tuesday. Looking at that game it’s hard to believe we are where we are.......yet we totally outplayed Fulham on Saturday.

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

This division again proves how tough it is .

The Owls missed their chance to take third spot as the Rooney effect saw the Rams come from behind to nick a point. 

Promotion certs were held by relegation certs .

We breathe and can now take advantage of a Blackburn Rovers side who will be without star man and all round gentleman Dack and also played twenty minutes with ten men.

We have been given an opportunity here. 

Now City , NO EXCUSES FOR SATURDAY.

Soz but you already disclosed the excuse of we don't get a result on Saturday.

It's so tough.

Whatever happens here or there as the season progresses, be it the superb away win, the irksome surprise defeat, I'm still confident we'll finish top six this season.

Our squad has lots of quality, phenomenal defensive options, JD to return, and will last the course.  I wouldn't worry if we drop out of the top six every now and then, it doesn't seem too challenging to get back in as the standard of teams isn't anything to worry about this season.  Put it this way, if we don't make the top six, I reckon we can all be rightly disappointed.

9 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Whatever happens here or there as the season progresses, be it the superb away win, the irksome surprise defeat, I'm still confident we'll finish top six this season.

Our squad has lots of quality, phenomenal defensive options, JD to return, and will last the course.  I wouldn't worry if we drop out of the top six every now and then, it doesn't seem too challenging to get back in as the standard of teams isn't anything to worry about this season.  Put it this way, if we don't make the top six, I reckon we can all be rightly disappointed.

I wish I shared your optimism, Kev, but I've been a City fan for more than 50 years and that experience has taught me not to even begin to count chickens at this stage of the season.

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Why do you think we have phenomenal defensive options. We have the 7th worse defence in the league.

I am not convinced our defence is as good as people think.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Not with our injuries we’re not.

Injuries are par for the course with city and we seemed to have coped better with them this season.  Its picking up points here and there and the other teams dropping them which seems to be working for us.

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Oh Mr P and his worrisome stats .

tea will GIF

FWIW, I think it'll improve- these underlying numbers.

Maybe these stats aren't decisive anyway- Huddersfield went up winning the playoffs with a negative GD IIRC!

The other thing to remember of course, is that these are basic numbers- doesn't give any indicator as to the zones they are in, whether a side is sufficiently open to concede a few chances- but very high quality of chances- in a game, or funnelling the opposition out into positions that are not of maximum opportunity- more chance to block/save- or otherwise fill the centre and prevent a realistic attempt of a goal.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's worth noting that we have conceded one of the highest shots on goal this season. Injuries and structure have surely played a large part though.

It's also worth noting that our conversation rate is/has been trending above the norm

Well, it might help if they were to spend less time chatting amongst themelves and concentrate a bit more on defending ?.

23 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

WBA were very poor v Wigan and Leeds were in an identical position last season and flumped. None of us should give up on the automatic places with over half a season to go. Agree though that we need a positive response on Saturday but I really believe in this bunch of lads. 

Evening Lee.

Nice of you to join us.

Archived