IGNORED

Korey smith

redsocks

8 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Who can we get, on a free, with similar wages to Korey, that is better than him? 

Nobody. Keep him, we saw last season with Brownhill & Pack what happens when we don't have enough midfielders. 

Korey will be on good money, is he going to stay fit to warrant his wage, I’m not to sure, been brilliant for us but imo it’s time to move on.

12 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Who can we get, on a free, with similar wages to Korey, that is better than him? 

Nobody. Keep him, we saw last season with Brownhill & Pack what happens when we don't have enough midfielders. 

Depends where you look tbh- not that I'm advocating getting rid of him but a deep search here and abroad could throw up some suitable names. At the very least we should renew so that if we sell we can guarantee a profit- football or financial reasons, renewal would make some sense.

24 minutes ago, redsocks said:

Why hasn't korey Smith been offered a new contract yet.get him on a long deal as hes still the best midfielder we got.dont want to lose him for free in the summer.what do you all think.

How do we know that there's not an offer on the table but negotiations are ongoing and therefore not being made public. Personally I'm a little ambivalent to the situation. I like Korey but wonder, like Marlon Pack, whether he can take us any further forward. 

27 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

A 2 year deal wouldn't be a huge cost to City. Doubt we'd even have to increase his wages.

Massengo/Brownhill could be off in the summer, makes sense to keep him around. 

Need to clear out space for Morrell as well. If Massengo and/or Brownhill leave I’d expect a couple to come in for the first team. Love Korey but it is salaries like his Wright and Watkins we need to be rid of to use elsewhere in the squad. Probably over 30k a week just in those 3 and none are even second choice atm. 

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was offloaded in Jan. We have Patterson coming back and will need to free up some wages for a striker.

Do you have inside knowledge of our wage structure? 

I think we see how he does, but looking to extend if he stays fit.

Bit harsh but if he was to pick up another long term injury then we'd probably have to look to let go.

Korey won't be going anywhere in Jan, he is the only option we have to rest/rotate our midfield. Walsh and Morrell may be back , but that will be at the end of the season. We can't afford to leave ourselves short in MF, HNM is only 18 and won't play every game, then there could be injuries etc. 
As for Paterson coming back, different player all together. If he is challenging for a start, he will more likely be looking at KP, Eliasson or maybe Weimann. 

Currently for CMs, we have Nagy, Massengo, Brownhill as the first three. Smith at 4.

Two of those might have to be sold in the summer.

It then becomes Nagy, Morrell, Walsh. so Smith is probably at 2 then.

What if none of them get sold though?

So we need to see how good he is, and we also need to see what's going on with outgoing players.

Too many variables to offer him more than a 1 year extension at the minute, and maybe he wants more permanence. Or maybe it's being discussed.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was offloaded in Jan. We have Patterson coming back and will need to free up some wages for a striker.

Paterson is not half the player Korey Smith is. The thought of keeping that lightweight and losing Korey does not bear thinking about.

I would suggest that there should be a few before korey in the que to leave. Offer him a contract without doubt, add clauses if needed. But a fit Korey Smith wouldn’t be too far from my starting eleven, let alone not in the squad. Will also add that this isn’t sentiment talking, this is me watching a player that always has time on the ball, creates options & angles for those on the ball, has a good touch, great awareness, can tackle, covers ground & is a leader. I’ve said it before, a very underrated player by a few, thankfully not LJ. COYR 

Not saying I would sell him personally. Just looking at it from a practical point of view. We are overloaded with midfield options and probably need to free up wages for a striker. Yes Patterson is a different type of player but he will be on the wage bill for the rest of the season whether we like it or not.

At the moment he is our fourth best midfielder, it would be more logical to see if he actually comes back playing well and can force his way into the side before offering him a new contract.

And if he doesn't, Morrell is ticking a lot of boxes for Lincoln and the Welsh national side, plays in the same position, and will likely be on a lot lower wage.

Liam Walsh is also putting up some decent numbers for a 6th placed Cov. 

Archived