Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

redsocks

Korey smith

Why hasn't korey Smith been offered a new contract yet.get him on a long deal as hes still the best midfielder we got.dont want to lose him for free in the summer.what do you all think.

1 minute ago, redsocks said:

Why hasn't korey Smith been offered a new contract yet.get him on a long deal as hes still the best midfielder we got.dont want to lose him for free in the summer.what do you all think.

The sooner we get rid the better

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
  • Aubergine 1
  • Unicorn 1
  • Rovers 1
  • Snake 3

Once Korey is 100% fit and back to his best, I think he’ll be a real asset in this squad. He’s just not there yet. 

LJ knows how to get the best outta him 

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Who can we get, on a free, with similar wages to Korey, that is better than him? 

Nobody. Keep him, we saw last season with Brownhill & Pack what happens when we don't have enough midfielders. 

Korey will be on good money, is he going to stay fit to warrant his wage, I’m not to sure, been brilliant for us but imo it’s time to move on.

19 minutes ago, redsocks said:

I suspect they're waiting to see if he's the same player after the injuries. No rush.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Who can we get, on a free, with similar wages to Korey, that is better than him? 

Nobody. Keep him, we saw last season with Brownhill & Pack what happens when we don't have enough midfielders. 

Depends where you look tbh- not that I'm advocating getting rid of him but a deep search here and abroad could throw up some suitable names. At the very least we should renew so that if we sell we can guarantee a profit- football or financial reasons, renewal would make some sense.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, redsocks said:

How do we know that there's not an offer on the table but negotiations are ongoing and therefore not being made public. Personally I'm a little ambivalent to the situation. I like Korey but wonder, like Marlon Pack, whether he can take us any further forward. 

• Like 2

We have Brownhull, Nagy, Massengo, Walsh and Morrell who are all younger than him so I'm guessing there is no rush to get him to sign a contract from a management point of view until he proves his fitness in the second half of the season

• Like 3

A 2 year deal wouldn't be a huge cost to City. Doubt we'd even have to increase his wages.

Massengo/Brownhill could be off in the summer, makes sense to keep him around. 

27 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

A 2 year deal wouldn't be a huge cost to City. Doubt we'd even have to increase his wages.

Massengo/Brownhill could be off in the summer, makes sense to keep him around. 

Need to clear out space for Morrell as well. If Massengo and/or Brownhill leave I’d expect a couple to come in for the first team. Love Korey but it is salaries like his Wright and Watkins we need to be rid of to use elsewhere in the squad. Probably over 30k a week just in those 3 and none are even second choice atm. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was offloaded in Jan. We have Patterson coming back and will need to free up some wages for a striker.

Can’t we arrange for TM to be closed so he goes straight past his connection to PS, never to be seen again!

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was offloaded in Jan. We have Patterson coming back and will need to free up some wages for a striker.

Do you have inside knowledge of our wage structure? 

I think we see how he does, but looking to extend if he stays fit.

Bit harsh but if he was to pick up another long term injury then we'd probably have to look to let go.

• Like 1

Korey won't be going anywhere in Jan, he is the only option we have to rest/rotate our midfield. Walsh and Morrell may be back , but that will be at the end of the season. We can't afford to leave ourselves short in MF, HNM is only 18 and won't play every game, then there could be injuries etc. 
As for Paterson coming back, different player all together. If he is challenging for a start, he will more likely be looking at KP, Eliasson or maybe Weimann. 

Currently for CMs, we have Nagy, Massengo, Brownhill as the first three. Smith at 4.

Two of those might have to be sold in the summer.

It then becomes Nagy, Morrell, Walsh. so Smith is probably at 2 then.

What if none of them get sold though?

So we need to see how good he is, and we also need to see what's going on with outgoing players.

Too many variables to offer him more than a 1 year extension at the minute, and maybe he wants more permanence. Or maybe it's being discussed.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Paterson is not half the player Korey Smith is. The thought of keeping that lightweight and losing Korey does not bear thinking about.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I would suggest that there should be a few before korey in the que to leave. Offer him a contract without doubt, add clauses if needed. But a fit Korey Smith wouldn’t be too far from my starting eleven, let alone not in the squad. Will also add that this isn’t sentiment talking, this is me watching a player that always has time on the ball, creates options & angles for those on the ball, has a good touch, great awareness, can tackle, covers ground & is a leader. I’ve said it before, a very underrated player by a few, thankfully not LJ. COYR 

• Like 1

Not saying I would sell him personally. Just looking at it from a practical point of view. We are overloaded with midfield options and probably need to free up wages for a striker. Yes Patterson is a different type of player but he will be on the wage bill for the rest of the season whether we like it or not.

At the moment he is our fourth best midfielder, it would be more logical to see if he actually comes back playing well and can force his way into the side before offering him a new contract.

And if he doesn't, Morrell is ticking a lot of boxes for Lincoln and the Welsh national side, plays in the same position, and will likely be on a lot lower wage.

Liam Walsh is also putting up some decent numbers for a 6th placed Cov. 

Edited by marcofisher
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Big C said:

We have Brownhull, Nagy, Massengo, Walsh and Morrell who are all younger than him

Something to be said for experience as well though, only 28 still so hardly on his last legs age wise if he comes back fine

14 hours ago, Gratz260689 said:

He’s better than Nagy of what I’ve seen so far!! Nagy to inconsistent with smith you know what you get a organiser and a solid midfielder!!  

Sorry but you know as much  about football as you do about the English language. 

How many games has Nagy played in our season ? His first in the Championship ? 

You also fail to take into account that players are real people not images on your computer screen. They get tired , stressed , injured and deal with shit off the football pitch .

I suggest you reserve judgment until , at least the end of the season. Then I am sure you will be looking forward to a nice helping of humble pie. 

Just to add that I really rate Korey Smith as a player and top bloke but feel that a change would be good for him , as it has been for other former favourites , and the club as we look to progress the team for the next 3 or 4 years .

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 1

What has happened to Smith that apparently he is the Messiah now he has been injured for 18 months yet before he was rated on here as a middle-of-the-road Championship midfielder?

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Sorry but you know as much  about football as you do about the English language. 

You also fail to take into account that players are real people not images on your computer screen. They get tired , stressed , injured and deal with shit off the football pitch .

I suggest you reserve judgment until , at least the end of the season. Then I am sure you will be looking forward to a nice helping of humble pie. 

Just to add that I really rate Korey Smith as a player and top bloke but feel that a change would be good for him , as it has been for other former favourites , and the club as we look to progress the team for the next 3 or 4 years .

Someone’s tired, I stated from what I have seen of Nagy is that he’s not upto the level of a fit Korey smith at the moment!! 

He might prove me wrong or right, who knows!! 

certainly not you so back in to box lad!! 

9 hours ago, hodge said:

Something to be said for experience as well though, only 28 still so hardly on his last legs age wise if he comes back fine

Exactly but what I'm saying is that there is no rush in getting him to sign a contract with the players I have mentioned at the club. He's been injured for such a long time he's needs to show in the coming months that he is capable of still playing that the level we want. Harsh maybe for such a great servant to us but that's modern football

• Like 1

I’m worried he will become another Elliot, captain, cracking servant for the club, first team in the first sheet and then got injured and he may never be one the same player(please prove me wrong) Korey is loved by City fans and players alike, scoring the last minute winner against one the biggest teams in the world, he will always be remembered and go down as a cult hero for that, can he take his career forward and City even further? He’s certainly not one for the future, I’d love to keep him but we got fitter, younger players banging on the first team door

Whilst he cannot help being injured, we can't pay big money for no return.  He's playing for his future even more so with Massengo being able to keep him out of the team quite easily.

4 hours ago, marcofisher said:

What has happened to Smith that apparently he is the Messiah now he has been injured for 18 months yet before he was rated on here as a middle-of-the-road Championship midfielder?

I thought many rated him as a quality midfielder at this level

• Like 1

On 13/12/2019 at 07:38, Major Isewater said:

Please tell me you were there today absolute pony, no way is he better than pack let alone smith!! 

• Hedgehog 1

Korey on for Massengo would be the obvious sub to make today.

Szmodics had as much impact on the game as the turnstiles did.

42 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Genuinely expected that change at halftime ...... lj is tactically clueless at times and makes some very strange subs 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Swear Szmodics didn’t even touch the ball 

• Like 1