IGNORED

LJs Checklist For A Championship Win

Maldini

Apologies if already posted, but interesting quote in the post from the Blackburn press conference. 

'There’s a lot of different ways to win a football match and impose yourself on an opposition. Ideally, there’s a checklist for a championship win.

Five players over 6 foot. Energy. Youth. Ability. Number 10 to unlock a door. Goalscorer in the top of the charts. One senior experienced defender. One quick one. Top goalkeeper. Two full backs, one 6 foot plus, one technical. 

For whatever reason we’ve traded them, if you picked a perfect eleven under the Lee Johnson tenure we’ve had that over the three seasons.'

Highly recommend reading the full transcripts of each press conference rather than the edited vids and clickbait stories - which mostly come from the press conference itself. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-lee-johnson-transcript-bristol-3635119 

Five players over 6 foot... I keep harping on about this when people talk about replacing Diedhiou. Johnson has already lost Pack's height in midfield and he won't want to lose more height. Diedhiou will only be replaced when we sign a more effective player of similar proportions! 

You mentioned about fatigue, was that a factor against Millwall?

"It’s a difficult one to judge that, we didn’t have the physical data like we normally do because Fulham use a different system in terms of the tracking. That’s very different."

Can someone explain to me how this works? How is the tracking during a game achieved? Are the players wearing those chest monitors, or is it all based on cameras? Are we then reliant on the Fulham (or whoever) to provide us with the data? What system are we using?

3 hours ago, Maldini said:

Apologies if already posted, but interesting quote in the post from the Blackburn press conference. 

'There’s a lot of different ways to win a football match and impose yourself on an opposition. Ideally, there’s a checklist for a championship win.

Five players over 6 foot. Energy. Youth. Ability. Number 10 to unlock a door. Goalscorer in the top of the charts. One senior experienced defender. One quick one. Top goalkeeper. Two full backs, one 6 foot plus, one technical. 

For whatever reason we’ve traded them, if you picked a perfect eleven under the Lee Johnson tenure we’ve had that over the three seasons.'

Highly recommend reading the full transcripts of each press conference rather than the edited vids and clickbait stories - which mostly come from the press conference itself. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-lee-johnson-transcript-bristol-3635119 

I've just read it and agree, interesting insights.

Semenyo undoubtedly to go out on loan, height a perceived issue, Weimann undroppable...

As much as I love Massengo, Nagy and Smith, I feel like our recruitment has been contrary to our needs. We need a midfielder with stature (a Mourinho midfielder), and we've instead got an abundance of talented, hardworking, smaller midfielders. Walsh and Morrell really are surplus to requirements unfortunately. 

And as I said previously, Diedhiou will be replaced by another big man. So really, would Nketiah or a poacher of his ilk get starts ahead of Fam and undroppable Weimann? No, and yet Johnson wants a 20 goal a season guy.

Theres an imbalance in the squad, of our own making, to be fair, and a conundrum to fix it.

our teams have looked smaller in height than the opposition for a few seasons now.i know he has totally won his place but I was shocked the first time I saw jay DaSilva.hes proved worth his place any day of the week ,its a shame taylor moore cant get forward a bit,hes got skills,could he adapt to be a midfielder

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

I agree with him that we are as high as we can be at the moment. Interesting insight that I totally disagree with btw basically saying Eliasson might not start as often as it makes us weaker at defending set pieces.

So our most creative player may not start because he can't defend set pieces? He seriously didn't say that? Question his tracking back by all means but to pin point that? Really? 

37 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

So our most creative player may not start because he can't defend set pieces? He seriously didn't say that? Question his tracking back by all means but to pin point that? Really? 

We look stronger with five at the back, or we play Eliasson when we play four at the back so let’s play that. So you’ve got two centre halves and Diedhiou those are your three markers on set-pieces, that’s it so you’re down a man. 

You’re effectively one goal down from a set-piece at the start so you’ve got to score two or three. If you play a five you’ve got Diedhiou plus three centre halves and you’re asking Brownhill to pickup someone who’s six foot three. 

Seems like that's what he is saying ^^^^^^^

So what he's saying is.......you need players that are tall, players with great ability, a high quality number 10,  topscorer in the league, a quick and experienced defence, the best keeper in the league...isn't that just common sense? Just an elaborate way of saying you need really good players?!?

If he wants half the side over 6 foot, why is Weimann undroppable, Fam droppable, signed Nagy, Massengo, Szmodics & JD that are all tiny, both our full backs under 6 foot (one of which just over 5 foot?!), and not playing our '10 to unlock the door'?! 

18 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

We look stronger with five at the back, or we play Eliasson when we play four at the back so let’s play that. So you’ve got two centre halves and Diedhiou those are your three markers on set-pieces, that’s it so you’re down a man. 

You’re effectively one goal down from a set-piece at the start so you’ve got to score two or three. If you play a five you’ve got Diedhiou plus three centre halves and you’re asking Brownhill to pickup someone who’s six foot three. 

Seems like that's what he is saying ^^^^^^^

Doesnt half talk alot of shit sometimes. 

7 minutes ago, Roe said:

The "if you start Eliasson you effectively start 1-0 down so he needs to create two goals to make it worthwhile" comment was bizarre, even if there may be some logic behind it.

''Sammie Szmodics for example, very consistent in training, very consistent human. Hasn’t quite taken to the level of the Championship that we’d hope he had like in pre-season but at the same time he hasn’t really had the run.''

This is also an insanely harsh and needless comment. How can he say he hasn't taken to the level, he's played him for 80 mins over two games in the space of 5 months! 

7 minutes ago, Roe said:

The "if you start Eliasson you effectively start 1-0 down so he needs to create two goals to make it worthwhile" comment was bizarre, even if there may be some logic behind it.

It's complete and utter tosh.  Drivel of the highest order.

Why not use the reverse measurement.  If you start Bailey Wright you can't score more than 1 goal so we must keep a clean sheet in every game he plays.  

54 minutes ago, Roe said:

Did he seriously say this?  !!!!!!!!

**** , i think i'd better listen to this interview.. or read it

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Wouldn’t take what he said so literally guys and gals. 

Oh, you're the LJ code cracker are you?

If Eliasson is back on the bench again as one of the fall guys, i think I've TOTALLY understood what he's saying.

If i'm Eliasson and i'm dropped for Saturday the first thing I'd think is.. OK , you ungrateful ****** , and I'm off elsewhere, first chance

You can be short and very good in the air. Joe Bryan would beat much taller players in the air.

Or you can be tall and not be that good at defending corners. Pack was always so much better at heading long balls in the centre of the pitch than heading away whipped in corners. 

The thing with the Eliasson comment for me is surely he can play in a 352. Or a 343. You still get to play 3 tall centre backs, Diedhiou and even Pereira as a wing back who is pretty tall.

Interesting what he says about Baker being better than Webster in a counter attacking set up. I disagree, I think Webster is better defensively as well as obviously what he can do on the ball.

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Did he seriously say this?  !!!!!!!!

**** , i think i'd better listen to this interview.. or read it

Not verbatim but that was the gist of it. 

He wasn't necessarily having a dig at Eliasson, he was just comparing playing with 3 centre backs to playing 4-4-2 with, in this case, Eliasson.

From here:

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You can be short and very good in the air. Joe Bryan would beat much taller players in the air.

Or you can be tall and not be that good at defending corners. Pack was always so much better at heading long balls in the centre of the pitch than heading away whipped in corners. 

The thing with the Eliasson comment for me is surely he can play in a 352. Or a 343. You still get to play 3 tall centre backs, Diedhiou and even Pereira as a wing back who is pretty tall.

Interesting what he says about Baker being better than Webster in a counter attacking set up. I disagree, I think Webster is better defensively as well as obviously what he can do on the ball.

Short and good in the air,I give you one Keith Fear ,excellent header of a ball because of his timing.

Talks like a bloke with about 2 or 3 promotions under his belt already.

Not saying he's doing a bad job, but i do think he comes over as a bit of a too smug know-it-all at times. And there is something about it that i find really quite annoying.

Hey, I'm sure it's just me  :laugh:

D'you know what I mean?

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Talks like a bloke with about 3 or 4 promotions under his belt.

Not saying he's doing a bad job, but i do think he comes over a bit smug at times. And there is something there i find quite annoying.

I'm sure it's just me  :laugh:

It’s not just you mate, he’s doing a good job , he’s got a way about him of getting on my tits

51 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Oh, you're the LJ code cracker are you?

If Eliasson is back on the bench again as one of the fall guys, i think I've TOTALLY understood what he's saying.

If i'm Eliasson and i'm dropped for Saturday the first thing I'd think is.. OK , you ungrateful ****** , and I'm off elsewhere, first chance

Glad you aren’t playing then with that poor attitude 

I took his interview as more - “here’s the things I have to consider, it’s not just a simple pick of one to eleven”.

If you take it all too literally there are contradictions in there.

I bet he’d like to play Taylor Moore tomorrow, give us better passing out from the back.  Then you consider how that might backfire if Blackburn pick Sam Gallagher.  Neither Williams or Moore would win much in the air, so that comes into your thinking.

Thats just an example.

3 hours ago, The Bard said:

It's complete and utter tosh.  Drivel of the highest order.

Why not use the reverse measurement.  If you start Bailey Wright you can't score more than 1 goal so we must keep a clean sheet in every game he plays.  

And, why pick out Eliasson?  Why not Weimann?  Or Hunt?  We could play Moore right back.  

5 minutes ago, The Bard said:

And, why pick out Eliasson?  Why not Weimann?  Or Hunt?  We could play Moore right back.  

Justifying why he hasn't picked the most creative player at the club for MOST of the season, I guess. Sounded crap to me and something you don't do.

That said, when you have been a successful manager and won lots of things....  oh hold on

7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

He talks a good game. If only we could understand it. Does he understand what he says? More importantly, do the players understand it?

I'm growing to like Lee & so far he's doin well this season,,all things considered..

But.......I'm absolutely convinced he baffles 'eemself into a quandary at times - let alone the players.

Johnson talks a good game but I think his problem is he overthinks to much and try’s to outwit the opponent instead of going with the strongest 11 

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Talks like a bloke with about 2 or 3 promotions under his belt already.

Not saying he's doing a bad job, but i do think he comes over as a bit of a too smug know-it-all at times. And there is something about it that i find really quite annoying.

Hey, I'm sure it's just me  :laugh:

D'you know what I mean?

It’s not just you I think he can come across as smug/arrogant at times

Archived