IGNORED

Blackburn (h) - Sat 15:00 - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

Another tough Championship fixture I suspect.  I will be missing, Joe has Powerchair Football so will miss watching (in some shape or form) my first game if the season.

Our Opponents:

From Lancashire are on a very good run, 4 wins in 5, only 1 defeat in 7, having previously gone 6 without a win.  Currently in 10th position on 31 points, 4 points behind a City in 4th.

D7BDA63C-604B-4322-9D59-99AB6BB7A5B9.thumb.jpeg.b10924f7e68e66cf467fbc2feb181fac.jpeg

The Manager:

Tony Mowbray, the well respected ex-West Brom, Celtic, Coventry and Boro boss, who started his playing career at Boro around the time they had to leave Ayresome Park and almost going out of business.  Has been at Blackburn for almost 3 years guiding them back into the Champ in his first full season in charge.

How Do They Line-up:

Well, I’d normally be saying 4231 / 4411 with Bradley Dack playing off of the main striker, with license to roam, and he would be my dangerman, but the fool got himself a two yellow red card v Swansea in the week, so misses tomorrow’s match through suspension.  That is a  huge boost for us.  So a decision for Mowbray to make.  He surprisingly went 442 last season, and they started well before we steam-rollered them second half to win 4-1.  Pisano’s goal away from home gave us the double.

60827AC1-4590-4EF7-93DF-572E29C773A5.thumb.jpeg.9a94f9c23e04a8004674c971ec505daa.jpeg

The Players:

My likely line-up with Dack out.

GK: Christian Walton (24) - loanee from Brighton having had spells at Wigan and Southend.  Rumours of City’s interest in the summer before Bentley signed.  A “no frills’ keeper who has been an ever-present this season.

RB: Ryan Nyambe (22) - Namibian international full-back who has come through the Rovers ranks.  Impressed me last season, technically good and an athlete

LB: Stuart Downing (35) - ex-Boro, Liverpool and Villa winger who represented England several times.  Mowbray connection with Boro and his dad, and currently playing full-back.  Nice left peg, so one to watch on set-pieces.

CB: Darragh Lenihan (25) - strong CB who is comfortable on the ball.  Been at Rovers since 2011 and key player.

CB: Tosin Adarabioyo (22) - Eng u19 defender who is on loan from Man City.  Getting good reviews having been at West Brom last season.

DM: Lewis Travis (22) - signed as an u18 from Liverpool in 2015 and now with 60+ appearances.  Busy player who passes it sharply.

DM: Corry Evans (29) - Northern Ireland international who began his career at Man Utd.  Now in his 6th season at Ewood Park and rangy midfielder who covers a lot of ground.

RM: Adam Armstrong (22) - former Newcastle and Eng u21 player, who seems to have been around longer than his formative 22 years.  4 goals this season coming in off the right.  Quick and direct with an eye for a speculative shot (watch out Dan Bentley).  My Dangerman!

CM: Lewis Holtby (29) - German born “Englishman” who played for Der Mannschaft, who signed in the summer having become a free-agent having had a very tidy career at the likes of Mainz, Schalke, Spurs and Fulham.  Just the 1 goal so far, but has some quality about him.

LM: Joe Rothwell (24) - another former Man Utd youngster who arrived at Rovers on a free having impressed at Oxford.  Likes to drift inside and get shots off but yet to score this season (kiss of death - see Jake Cooper from Tuesday).

CF: Danny Graham (34) - been around a bit has this former Boro academy player, at the likes of Blackpool and Carlisle in in early 20s before £m moves from Watford to Swansea and Sunderland.  Loans at Wolves and Hull before arriving at Blackburn on free in summer 2016...where he formed the very useful partnership with Dack.  Works hard, physical runner, but with just 2 goals this season.

Ex-City men:

Derrick Williams - LB/CB who was Rovers POTY in their 17/18 promotion season.  Underrated at City who often put his body on the line.

Greg Cunningham - LB on loan from Cardiff

Elliott Bennett - RWB/RM who was at City during first half of 15/16 season before signing for Rovers in Jan window.

Other Players:

Ben Brereton - CF signed for a large fee (£8m) from Forest but not done it yet.

Sam Gallagher - big target man signed for £5m in the summer.  Just maybe finding his feet.

Amari Bell - ex-Fleetwood full back.

How Do We Get The Win Tomorrow:

Without Dack, some of their goal threat (9 for the season) goes away, so hopefully we will be sharper at the back than we were on Tuesday.  I think LJ will go one more game with the Eliasson / Brownhill wide-midfield set up, but suspect Massengo or Nagy might be rested.  LJ might even go Brownhill back into CM and O’Dowda (on the back of his goal) May mean two out and out wingers.  Think it is a game to play on the front foot, and I suspect Mowbray will be happy to set up in two banks.

Prediction:

This will another bounce back and I see a 3-0 victory.  Diedhiou to grab another.

I'd be surprised and really quite happy of course if it's 3-0, actually think they have not a bad squad- albeit a bit old in places.

Downing at LB seems both one to exploit and possibly one to be aware of- quick turnover of the ball could have him run at us on the break, if Blackburn play a mediumish block. Holtby of course is good technically, past his best though? On paper a sensible choice to replace Dack.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

What can we expect? Good post Davefevs but what we will get is a dreary, boring, tedious first hour and then throwing everything into a crowded penalty area trying to draw or win.

Tactical genius. I think not! I'm going dog walking on the beach. Much more entertainment.

Perhaps I’ll re-title - “what can we expect from our opponents”

13 minutes ago, Highguy said:

Hopefully he doesn’t drop elasson and start O’Dowda????

I'm almost convinced this is going to happen. I said before his 3 game run that if we lose one, the first to go will be NE whether he has played well or not.

And now we have him saying things about being 0-1 down etc etc. I don't get it.

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'm almost convinced this is going to happen. I said before his 3 game run that if we lose one, the first to go will be NE whether he has played well or not.

I think it’s just excuses to justify whys he leaving him out it didn’t help elasson that millwall doubled up on him as much as they could to stop his 3 step overs and step to left to swing ball in I have a feeling that he going be on bench tomorrow with odowda starting because he scored on Tuesday (did anyelse notice he ran in front south stand to celebrate yeah he scored but we got 6 minutes let’s get another goal?)

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

1 hour ago, Highguy said:

I think it’s just excuses to justify whys he leaving him out it didn’t help elasson that millwall doubled up on him as much as they could to stop his 3 step overs and step to left to swing ball in I have a feeling that he going be on bench tomorrow with odowda starting because he scored on Tuesday (did anyelse notice he ran in front south stand to celebrate yeah he scored but we got 6 minutes let’s get another goal?)

I still don’t know why Eliasson was moved right and stayed right on Tuesday.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still don’t know why Eliasson was moved right and stayed right on Tuesday.

I thought the same every time he did manage to get half a yard for a cross it was met by the lamppost they had playing at centre back before it could get it to a danger area

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Because he wasn't tracking Romeo, left a lot of space. Weimann did a (slightly) better job helping Rowe.

Possibly, although would’ve been interesting if Eliasson “cheated” and played goalside of him, whether Romeo would’ve dropped back in?

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Possibly, although would’ve been interesting if Eliasson “cheated” and played goalside of him, whether Romeo would’ve dropped back in?

I was a little confused where Rowe was going when we had the ball. Constantly played 10 yards inside Eliasson so never got an overlap going, must have been a tactic, as he did it time after time. Never got an overload, and I thought it meant Romeo had an easy night in defence. Also meant if NE did commit forward there was no cover behind. 
It was a rare game where Eliasson didn't seem to want to take on the FB in the first half.

Just now, 1960maaan said:

I was a little confused where Rowe was going when we had the ball. Constantly played 10 yards inside Eliasson so never got an overlap going, must have been a tactic, as he did it time after time. Never got an overload, and I thought it meant Romeo had an easy night in defence. Also meant if NE did commit forward there was no cover behind. 
It was a rare game where Eliasson didn't seem to want to take on the FB in the first half.

There was one bit when Baker had the ball on the halfway line where Rowe was back to goal up against their RCB.  Not his best game.  He’s allowed an off night imho.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was one bit when Baker had the ball on the halfway line where Rowe was back to goal up against their RCB.  Not his best game.  He’s allowed an off night imho.

True, I think he's been brilliant this season. Also , I do think he was under instructions, he got into positions/areas I've not seen him in before. Sadly he wasn't the only one having an off night. 

Just watched highlights of Millwall game. I thought Baker didn't have that bad a game when I was there, but didn't realise how bad that first goal really was.

Nagy gives it away from terrible touch, he looked tired from the start. Rowe ridiculously slow running back. But then the worst mistake was Baker running out of the way for Wallace to score! Bentley very poor on goal too. I have said it before, but why do people not mention numerous Baker mistakes for goals on here!?

2nd goal I thought Fam and Baker should have done more. Fam's man, but Baker was close and didn't even jump or even back into Cooper. Got to do more.

So why not just pick Moore today? Baker has improved recently, but still got a mistake in him and not very good on the ball. We could really do with Moore's ability to bring it out. Is Moore more dodgy defensively? Well Baker makes mistakes anyway so I am not sure on that one.

As for Rowe, he has generally improved. But we desperately need Dasilva back.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Just watched highlights of Millwall game. I thought Baker didn't have that bad a game when I was there, but didn't realise how bad that first goal really was.

Nagy gives it away from terrible touch, he looked tired from the start. Rowe ridiculously slow running back. But then the worst mistake was Baker running out of the way for Wallace to score! Bentley very poor on goal too. I have said it before, but why do people not mention numerous Baker mistakes for goals on here!?

2nd goal I thought Fam and Baker should have done more. Fam's man, but Baker was close and didn't even jump or even back into Cooper. Got to do more.

So why not just pick Moore today? Baker has improved recently, but still got a mistake in him and not very good on the ball. We could really do with Moore's ability to bring it out. Is Moore more dodgy defensively? Well Baker makes mistakes anyway so I am not sure on that one.

As for Rowe, he has generally improved. But we desperately need Dasilva back.

Completely agree and would like to see TM back in against a more mobile blackburn. Having been in the dolman on tuesday i didnt realise how poorly baker played. I was too bemused with how poor our midfield looked the entire game.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Another tough Championship fixture I suspect.  I will be missing, Joe has Powerchair Football so will miss watching (in some shape or form) my first game if the season.

Our Opponents:

From Lancashire are on a very good run, 4 wins in 5, only 1 defeat in 7, having previously gone 6 without a win.  Currently in 10th position on 31 points, 4 points behind a City in 4th.

D7BDA63C-604B-4322-9D59-99AB6BB7A5B9.thumb.jpeg.b10924f7e68e66cf467fbc2feb181fac.jpeg

The Manager:

Tony Mowbray, the well respected ex-West Brom, Celtic, Coventry and Boro boss, who started his playing career at Boro around the time they had to leave Ayresome Park and almost going out of business.  Has been at Blackburn for almost 3 years guiding them back into the Champ in his first full season in charge.

How Do They Line-up:

Well, I’d normally be saying 4231 / 4411 with Bradley Dack playing off of the main striker, with license to roam, and he would be my dangerman, but the fool got himself a two yellow red card v Swansea in the week, so misses tomorrow’s match through suspension.  That is a  huge boost for us.  So a decision for Mowbray to make.  He surprisingly went 442 last season, and they started well before we steam-rollered them second half to win 4-1.  Pisano’s goal away from home gave us the double.

60827AC1-4590-4EF7-93DF-572E29C773A5.thumb.jpeg.9a94f9c23e04a8004674c971ec505daa.jpeg

The Players:

My likely line-up with Dack out.

GK: Christian Walton (24) - loanee from Brighton having had spells at Wigan and Southend.  Rumours of City’s interest in the summer before Bentley signed.  A “no frills’ keeper who has been an ever-present this season.

RB: Ryan Nyambe (22) - Namibian international full-back who has come through the Rovers ranks.  Impressed me last season, technically good and an athlete

LB: Stuart Downing (35) - ex-Boro, Liverpool and Villa winger who represented England several times.  Mowbray connection with Boro and his dad, and currently playing full-back.  Nice left peg, so one to watch on set-pieces.

CB: Darragh Lenihan (25) - strong CB who is comfortable on the ball.  Been at Rovers since 2011 and key player.

CB: Tosin Adarabioyo (22) - Eng u19 defender who is on loan from Man City.  Getting good reviews having been at West Brom last season.

DM: Lewis Travis (22) - signed as an u18 from Liverpool in 2015 and now with 60+ appearances.  Busy player who passes it sharply.

DM: Corry Evans (29) - Northern Ireland international who began his career at Man Utd.  Now in his 6th season at Ewood Park and rangy midfielder who covers a lot of ground.

RM: Adam Armstrong (22) - former Newcastle and Eng u21 player, who seems to have been around longer than his formative 22 years.  4 goals this season coming in off the right.  Quick and direct with an eye for a speculative shot (watch out Dan Bentley).  My Dangerman!

CM: Lewis Holtby (29) - German born “Englishman” who played for Der Mannschaft, who signed in the summer having become a free-agent having had a very tidy career at the likes of Mainz, Schalke, Spurs and Fulham.  Just the 1 goal so far, but has some quality about him.

LM: Joe Rothwell (24) - another former Man Utd youngster who arrived at Rovers on a free having impressed at Oxford.  Likes to drift inside and get shots off but yet to score this season (kiss of death - see Jake Cooper from Tuesday).

CF: Danny Graham (34) - been around a bit has this former Boro academy player, at the likes of Blackpool and Carlisle in in early 20s before £m moves from Watford to Swansea and Sunderland.  Loans at Wolves and Hull before arriving at Blackburn on free in summer 2016...where he formed the very useful partnership with Dack.  Works hard, physical runner, but with just 2 goals this season.

Ex-City men:

Derrick Williams - LB/CB who was Rovers POTY in their 17/18 promotion season.  Underrated at City who often put his body on the line.

Greg Cunningham - LB on loan from Cardiff

Elliott Bennett - RWB/RM who was at City during first half of 15/16 season before signing for Rovers in Jan window.

Other Players:

Ben Brereton - CF signed for a large fee (£8m) from Forest but not done it yet.

Sam Gallagher - big target man signed for £5m in the summer.  Just maybe finding his feet.

Amari Bell - ex-Fleetwood full back.

How Do We Get The Win Tomorrow:

Without Dack, some of their goal threat (9 for the season) goes away, so hopefully we will be sharper at the back than we were on Tuesday.  I think LJ will go one more game with the Eliasson / Brownhill wide-midfield set up, but suspect Massengo or Nagy might be rested.  LJ might even go Brownhill back into CM and O’Dowda (on the back of his goal) May mean two out and out wingers.  Think it is a game to play on the front foot, and I suspect Mowbray will be happy to set up in two banks.

Prediction:

This will another bounce back and I see a 3-0 victory.  Diedhiou to grab another.

Hi Dave. Great to hear Joe is playing Powerchair footy. Is he involved with the new Bristol setup with Brian? 

My nipper played with Cheltenham for years and now with West Brom in the nationals. Best thing he's ever done. 

A fantastic sport, and no diving! 

41 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That first Blackburn goal confirmed my worst fears on the night.

We just let Wallace stroll in and have a clear, though pretty feeble shot at goal.

Couldn't believe that Bentley (who has been so good) allowed that scabby effort to get past him.

After that things got even worse, and the fightback was ineffective and inadequate.

On my way down later today, and expecting us play a lot better. However,  I'll grudgingly accept a poor performance if we win.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Hi Dave. Great to hear Joe is playing Powerchair footy. Is he involved with the new Bristol setup with Brian? 

My nipper played with Cheltenham for years and now with West Brom in the nationals. Best thing he's ever done. 

A fantastic sport, and no diving! 

Not sure - it’s being set up by our “friends in the north”....so I make joe wear his City shirt!!  He’s only had one taster session, think today might be a bit than a practice.

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

That first Blackburn goal confirmed my worst fears on the night.

We just let Wallace stroll in and have a clear, though pretty feeble shot at goal.

Couldn't believe that Bentley (who has been so good) allowed that scabby effort to get past him.

After that things got even worse, and the fightback was ineffective and inadequate.

On my way down later today, and expecting us play a lot better. However,  I'll grudgingly accept a poor performance if we win.

Bentley did that fatal “take half a step to his right” and then couldn’t react when Wallace scuffed his shot into the near post.

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A few years back I saw some youngsters who had Cerebral Palsy playing Powerchair Football at the Rose Green Centre. I think it was organised by Access Sports. The kids were having a great time.

I'd rather National Lottery funding went to good projects like this than some of the odd/underserving causes I've seen them fund.

Archived