IGNORED

PDC world darts

Super

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Very true, my point was which is the better longer term?

You can see plenty of names IN THIS LIST that have been at the top and now not at the top end of the game

He could be on a better wage in his full time job than some of those listed and also gets 40+ years more working

Any player in the top 50 is earning very decent money but only the top two or three could be financially secure and retire anytime they want.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Don't forget, that's just their prize money Phants. If they've been prominent in the past, they will earn more from personal appearances and exhibition matches.

True, I know a former world champion that is currently playing pub darts in the area. 

Certainly not a long term lifestyle

2 hours ago, phantom said:

True, I know a former world champion that is currently playing pub darts in the area. 

Certainly not a long term lifestyle

Mike Gregory?

It's a funny sport, darts. When form goes, it goes really fast and rarely comes back.

I gather he's still a formidable darter at pub level.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Mike Gregory?

It's a funny sport, darts. When form goes, it goes really fast and rarely comes back.

I gather he's still a formidable darter at pub level.

Gregory never world champion?  Seem to remember he got to final of BDO, possibly had darts to win it but beaten by Phil Taylor....'93 something like that.

44 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Gregory never world champion?  Seem to remember he got to final of BDO, possibly had darts to win it but beaten by Phil Taylor....'93 something like that.

You might be right. I thought he won it a bit earlier, but without Googling I can't be sure.

He certainly is a top-level player who is playing pub darts these days, however. A Radstock legend.

34 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You might be right. I thought he won it a bit earlier, but without Googling I can't be sure.

He certainly is a top-level player who is playing pub darts these days, however. A Radstock legend.

Think he still plays County darts with my cousin Syd.. 

• Like 1

• Admin

Q school started in Milton Keynes and Niedernhausen today. 

A total of 640 players are set to compete for 29 PDC Tour Cards across ten days with this year's Qualifying Schools being held across two stages.

Stage One will see players compete in one of three blocks in Stage 1A from February 8-10 and Stage 1B from February 11-13, as they bid to secure a spot alongside the exempt players in Final Stage from February 14-17.

A mate of mine lost to a familar name today, but it all starts again tomorrow. 

City fan Mark Dudbridge is in section 1B

20210208_222757.jpg

Barney has come out of retirement and was playing in the European section, he lost in the last 16 (you only have to get into last four to progress)

20210208_223142.jpg

• Admin

For anyone interested and is unsure how Q school works, all players who lost their tour card in 2020 are already in the second stage either playing in Europe or the UK.

Then the 4 quarter final winners of all 6 days plus those who scored the most points in the first stage (every win in a round without byes) is one point.

In the second stage they will play for a tour card with the top 16 from the challenge tour and the development tour.

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m not familiar with how Q school works. If yiu get a few mins can you explain?

In short a player needs a tour card to be able to enter the PDC tournaments around the country each week.

The top rated PDC players (order of merit) automatically qualify and those top players that don't, get a second year to stay in. 

Due to covid this year the "Q school" (qualifying school) was split between the UK (Milton Keynes) and rest of the world (competing in Niedernhausen in Germany). Normally all qualifying is held at Wigan FC.

All those that entered were split between two venues and two different first qualifying round competitions. 

Each first qualifying competition was over three days and all those that won their quarter final qualified for the second qualifying four days finals.

So you had 3x4 (12) from each competition at each venue (48 in total)

They then join those who didn't have enough points in the order of merit in their second year.

They then get to the finals (over 4 days) in UK and Germany. 

These play to a winner. 

The winner gets a tour card (8 winners)

The final 21 places are awarded by final standings after the four days (as above), day winners are removed from standings 

So far; Kirk Shepherd and Jason Heaver have qualified as winners from the UK and Geert De Vos + Geert Nentjes from Germany

I hope that made some kind of sense 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

In short a player needs a tour card to be able to enter the PDC tournaments around the country each week.

The top rated PDC players (order of merit) automatically qualify and those top players that don't, get a second year to stay in. 

Due to covid this year the "Q school" (qualifying school) was split between the UK (Milton Keynes) and rest of the world (competing in Niedernhausen in Germany). Normally all qualifying is held at Wigan FC.

All those that entered were split between two venues and two different first qualifying round competitions. 

Each first qualifying competition was over three days and all those that won their quarter final qualified for the second qualifying four days finals.

So you had 3x4 (12) from each competition at each venue (48 in total)

They then join those who didn't have enough points in the order of merit in their second year.

They then get to the finals (over 4 days) in UK and Germany. 

These play to a winner. 

The winner gets a tour card (8 winners)

The final 21 places are awarded by final standings after the four days (as above), day winners are removed from standings 

So far; Kirk Shepherd and Jason Heaver have qualified as winners from the UK and Geert De Vos + Geert Nentjes from Germany

I hope that made some kind of sense 

I didn’t realise it was so involved. I thought it was some kind of round Robin system. 

How wrong can you  be...............

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I think I saw/read awhile ago that Barney is a diabetic. Maybe that played a part in him collapsing 

Possible, Barney is type 2 from what I remember and myself being type 1, he could have had a hypo, which hits me every now and then out of the blue, which can lead to passing out.