IGNORED

Turgid

Vincent Vega

Been saying we aren’t a playoff team for a couple months. Don’t want us to be bad but this has been coming. Second bottom of the xG table which means our performances are easily on average relegation type performances. Hard to say LJ out but I do think we have seen our best under him and that is in seasons gone

Surprisingly the usual suspects on here still argue that they've seen worst games than this at home in lower leagues against tin pot teams..........problem is we have a decent budget and fantastic ground with a very capable squad yet we continue to play poorly at home. Could it just be that we are not getting the best out of the players at the head coaches disposal.

On 14/12/2019 at 19:01, Waffleflap said:

I used to be a regular season ticket holder up until 3 seasons ago. I remember it being boring to watch back then which is why I never renewed.  Apart from the odd game we actually turn up nothing has changed. 

You missed rather a good 2017/18 then!

When did you give up, out of interest.

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 16:58, JoeAman08 said:

Been saying we aren’t a playoff team for a couple months. Don’t want us to be bad but this has been coming. Second bottom of the xG table which means our performances are easily on average relegation type performances. Hard to say LJ out but I do think we have seen our best under him and that is in seasons gone

Agree, think we have seen peak Johnson we are on that plateau that stretches into the far distance, would love to be proved wrong as we have made (slow) progress but with the backing he has had many other managers I think would have had us up by now.

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was a good season if you include our amazing run in the cup but league wise though we came fairly close we ultimately fell short again after a good start. It seems to be what we do as I have said elsewhere if staying in the Championship makes people happy then it was a good season.

15 minutes ago, pillred said:

Was a good season if you include our amazing run in the cup but league wise though we came fairly close we ultimately fell short again after a good start. It seems to be what we do as I have said elsewhere if staying in the Championship makes people happy then it was a good season.

I struggle to see much in the way of grounds for dissatisfaction that season. However, that said we should've made the playoffs IMO. Top two was never really on though!

There was January 2018 of course, but without going over old ground the financials needed to be, and were factored in.  As they needed to be.

If we want to make sure the 20k plus people who turn up to nearly every game keep coming, we need to be performing better than we have.

It is true that LJ has been backed financially more than any manager we have had and the level of commitment and performance in the last 2 home games has been a disgrace.  Tactically inept, a yard behind the pace, second to every ball, ducking out of challenges is beyond belief and you can count the number of headers we win each game on one hand.

I sometimes wonder what thes players do in training as there seems to be no pattern, cohesion or understanding.

A new striker in January will help to provide an outlet, but is not the sole solutiin to the above issues.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I struggle to see much in the way of grounds for dissatisfaction that season. However, that said we should've made the playoffs IMO. Top two was never really on though!

There was January 2018 of course, but without going over old ground the financials needed to be, and were factored in.  As they needed to be.

I'm going to see if I can dig out some of those old turnover and wage bill figures for 2017/18.

Courtesy of Swiss Ramble, about 6 months ago- Sheffield Wednesday's accounts cover 14 months which I'll stick in separately below, Bolton's not there but ours would easily be above theirs.

D7PGhRIXkAAL2YJ?format=jpg&name=small

In Red means that it was Sheffield Wednesday's 2016-17 owing to delayed accounts. Their wage bill in 2017-18 when finally published was a mere £42,408,000- adjusted to the standard 12 months, it was £36,349,714.

Also should subtract promotion bonuses from Wolves, Cardiff and Fulham- pretty sure it was £20m or thereabouts in all 3 cases. Two of them (Cardiff and Fulham) had the final year of Parachute Payments- useful advantage indeed, but in the case of Cardiff especially, bit of a last chance saloon? One of them- now a top 7, top 8 PL side and doing well in Europe, had a major advantage in Mendes, plus with him came Nuno a fairly established manager, or at least a manager with experience of fairly decent sized clubs- Porto and Valencia.

That year, Sheffield United, Brentford, Preston and off the back of a surge post Christmas, Millwall- the notable overachievers! Birmingham and Reading didn't get achieve what expenditure suggested they should,  and Sunderland just fell straight through! We did fine though...yet top 6 still felt a missed opportunity and likely was one.

On another note, some posters always laud Mick McCarthy and his work with limited means- and those means are limited- only £1m less in wages than Wilder's Sheffield United but also more than Brentford (better football), Preston (better position) and Millwall did more with less too.

This is why I always think twice when the more expenditure than any City manager line comes out- both sides of the argument have good points, but @wendyredredrobin might be interested in this one? @pillred too...we're up against it a bit though that gap may now be narrowing, this is/was a bit of a snapshot in time.

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm going to see if I can dig out some of those old turnover and wage bill figures for 2017/18.

Courtesy of Swiss Ramble, about 6 months ago- Sheffield Wednesday's accounts cover 14 months which I'll stick in separately below, Bolton's not there but ours would easily be above theirs.

D7PGhRIXkAAL2YJ?format=jpg&name=small

In Red means that it was Sheffield Wednesday's 2016-17 owing to delayed accounts. Their wage bill in 2017-18 when finally published was a mere £42,408,000- adjusted to the standard 12 months, it was £36,349,714.

Also should subtract promotion bonuses from Wolves, Cardiff and Fulham- pretty sure it was £20m or thereabouts in all 3 cases. Two of them (Cardiff and Fulham) had the final year of Parachute Payments- useful advantage indeed, but in the case of Cardiff especially, bit of a last chance saloon? One of them- now a top 7, top 8 PL side and doing well in Europe, had a major advantage in Mendes, plus with him came Nuno a fairly established manager, or at least a manager with experience of fairly decent sized clubs- Porto and Valencia.

That year, Sheffield United, Brentford, Preston and off the back of a surge post Christmas, Millwall- the notable overachievers! Birmingham and Reading didn't get achieve what expenditure suggested they should,  and Sunderland just fell straight through! We did fine though...yet top 6 still felt a missed opportunity and likely was one.

On another note, some posters always laud Mick McCarthy and his work with limited means- and those means are limited- only £1m less in wages than Wilder's Sheffield United but also more than Brentford (better football), Preston (better position) and Millwall did more with less too.

This is why I always think twice when the more expenditure than any City manager line comes out- both sides of the argument have good points, but @wendyredredrobin might be interested in this one? @pillred too...we're up against it a bit though that gap may now be narrowing, this is/was a bit of a snapshot in time.

Wrong thread ?

5 hours ago, pillred said:

Why wouldn’t you include the cup run?

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

2015/16 was my last season down the gate. Went to City v Villa when we lost 3-1 at home and thought that'll do me. Been to the odd away day which regardless of the result is more fun anyway 

32 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Why wouldn’t you include the cup run?

Because the poster said he hadn't renewed his season ticket in 3 years because he hadn't enjoyed the football played, the last time I looked cup games weren't included so would not have had any bearing on his decision not to renew, another poster had commented that he then had missed a good season in 2017/18.

1 hour ago, Waffleflap said:

2015/16 was my last season down the gate. Went to City v Villa when we lost 3-1 at home and thought that'll do me. Been to the odd away day which regardless of the result is more fun anyway 

Well, you got the scoreline right at least- Tomlin free kick game you mean?? 2016/17.

We haven't lost to Aston Villa though at home at all in recent years. Improved position, in the 3 subsequent seasons.  

Oh and that Cup run and a reasonable FA Cup run last year?

Had a quick look online. We did lose 3-1 at home to them in the League in fact...December 1979!

Entirely your prerogative, but tough crowd.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Because the poster said he hadn't renewed his season ticket in 3 years because he hadn't enjoyed the football played, the last time I looked cup games weren't included so would not have had any bearing on his decision not to renew, another poster had commented that he then had missed a good season in 2017/18.

Was a good season irrespective IMO.  Talking at home in the main- not even factored in the 4-5 months, near half season whatever we call it unbeaten on the road!

We were reasonably free scoring over the season. Thinking back, in the League we scored 3 or more goals at home 6 times, off the top of my head.

Late November to the Wolves game we played some really good football. Which we showed sporadically after that.

Was our best League finish since the playoff season since GJ's final year. The Cup run was superb in addition.

I just got bored . That is all 

59 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well, you got the scoreline right at least- Tomlin free kick game you mean?? 2016/17.

We haven't lost to Aston Villa though at home at all in recent years. Improved position, in the 3 subsequent seasons.  

Oh and that Cup run and a reasonable FA Cup run last year?

Had a quick look online. We did lose 3-1 at home to them in the League in fact...December 1979!

Entirely your prerogative, but tough crowd.

I must of been so bored that I thought we lost. We did turn it on from time to time but it just wasn't enough to make me want to shell out for another ticket. I've been a season ticket holder for 20 years and have seen some top quality stuff. I've just had enough . The Cotterill season was probablaby never gonna be beaten for excitement . Anything after that seemed drab. I appreciate we are improving on league positions though. 

4 minutes ago, Waffleflap said:

I just got bored . That is all 

I must of been so bored that I thought we lost. We did turn it on from time to time but it just wasn't enough to make me want to shell out for another ticket. I've been a season ticket holder for 20 years and have seen some top quality stuff. I've just had enough . The Cotterill season was probablaby never gonna be beaten for excitement . Anything after that seemed drab. I appreciate we are improving on league positions though. 

Fair. 2017/18 was pretty good at home, let alone the Cup run (just looked,  41 goals in 23 games)  but fair. The Cotts season, great though it was, was at a lower level. Regardless, entirely our own prerogative.

Turgid.

Boring, complicated and difficult to understand.

Swollen;containing more water than usual.

There's the answer,  give our boys less fluids before and during a game and hopefully, they’ll be less Turgid but they can drink lots afterwards. 

Always worked in the past.

Archived