IGNORED

This is like it was under O'Driscoll.

Fuber

6 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It was,and if more performances like that had happened over 2 years then people wouldn’t exit Ashton Gate after 70 minutes like their was a about to be a nuclear attack,as it is it’s just drab performance after drab performance grabbing wins here and there

I don’t think many teams apart from leeds/west brom/fulham have the squads or ability to consistantly get wins regularly. The Championship is unforgiving and to be in our position this far into the season is one hell of an achievement given all the injuries etc. It’s not going to be pretty and we will lose alot of games between now and May but we have a chance to keep ‘grabbing wins here and there’. We have a week off now and this place will be thread after thread of basically the same johnson out blah blah blah. But when the footy starts again in just over a week hopefully we can forget 2 bad performances and 6 dropped points!

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It's not just a financial strategy in isolation i.e. to make a profit for the owner, it is to enable us to stay within the ffp limits. Selling your best players in order to do this is a tough better than having to sell your stadium - you can only do that once. I fancy that there will be many more managers having to face up to this reality in the near future as the reality of ffp bites ( providing the EFL had grown a pair)

There are issue that LJ has to address, some of which relate to his own approach and in particular our home form, but as for selling our best players, losing Webster in the summer was cushioned by buying Kalas and Dasilva permanently , buying Nagy and Massengo and , crucially, getting Afobe. This is hardly a club selling the crown jewels and replacing them with paste costume jewellery.

However, most of these players have been out injured for a good part of the season, and even those returning ( Nagy and Kalas) have to regain match fitness. With the players we've had out we've done well to stay at the top end of the table. With everyone fit and available we have the strongest squad for years but LJ really does have to start getting them to perform to their potential, but consistently.

I'm not disagreeing with you and I believe the strategy is both right and responsible. The long term health of the club should be any owner's first priority imo.

I have said in another post that having to replace players every year means you have to start again in moulding a team, however good the replacements are. That takes time, more so if 3 of them are out injured for long periods.

The signs are also that LJ wanted to sign Kalas and a replacement for Webster, which didn't happen.

Nevertheless, I find it hard to see what LJ's plan is for home games. He point blank refuses to accept there is a problem, which is the most worrying thing for me.

6 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

I don’t think many teams apart from leeds/west brom/fulham have the squads or ability to consistantly get wins regularly. The Championship is unforgiving and to be in our position this far into the season is one hell of an achievement given all the injuries etc. It’s not going to be pretty and we will lose alot of games between now and May but we have a chance to keep ‘grabbing wins here and there’. We have a week off now and this place will be thread after thread of basically the same johnson out blah blah blah. But when the footy starts again in just over a week hopefully we can forget 2 bad performances and 6 dropped points!

Think you misunderstood,we all know the league is hard and there are better teams than us and all that nonsense but are we not back to full squad pretty much now and still it’s bilge

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Everyone wanted Warnock it felt like but this football isn’t good enough? Don’t get it 

Chatting shit, as per...

1 hour ago, glen humphries said:

Are you happy watching us at home over the last 2 seasons if you are I’ll have some of what you’re on ,it’s absolutely shit 

Good shout, we've been poor at home for too long. 

When was the last time the crowd at Ashton gate got right up for a sub coming on?? Jordan, Murray , Lita , Wilbraham?

All we do lately is shuffle the pack. 

Annoyingly we're not a million miles away from being a side that look they can get promoted. 

Annoyingly we're a side that don't look like we can do it. 

1 hour ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Why can’t our fans just accept two bad performances. Still in a great position after all the injuries we have had. Is it disappointing this week? Yes. But Why after every loss do we have to attack LJ, it boring. No wonder we are awful at home with the support we get 

We know the players can be good enough.

Then comes tactics, training recruitment. 

We have no kind of consistancy. Period. 

Thats down to management.

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Think you misunderstood,we all know the league is hard and their are better teams than us and all that nonsense but are we not back to full squad pretty much now and still it’s bilge

I know that and i left the game today as frustrated as anyone. In fact the last 2 seasons have been poor as you say mainly at home. I guess all i am trying to get across is my frustration at fans/people who seem to not wait to start the johnson out type threads. A few deep breaths and a little perspective. 

1 minute ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

So if we finish in the playoffs but it’s so close then it doesn’t count?

Not necassarily, buts its so close, that I expect a closer fought performance than the last 2 games? Some genernal organisation a sense of urgency? 

I dont mind this type of perfomance if LJ is in charge for 6 months. 

4 years, no identity or consistancy? 

Not having it. 

1 minute ago, Hampshire Red said:

Fans shouldn't respond to this type of post -  'just sort it out' is such a losers, remoaners, comment. 

How about some balance along the lines of "two great performamces, followed by two poor ones with essentially the same team, tactics, subs"

Exactly this

8 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

I know that and i left the game today as frustrated as anyone. In fact the last 2 seasons have been poor as you say mainly at home. I guess all i am trying to get across is my frustration at fans/people who seem to not wait to start the johnson out type threads. A few deep breaths and a little perspective. 

I’ve canvassed a 1000 people and the exit polls are saying get lJ out 

I missed the Huddersfield game so it’s a long time since I saw a really good home performance. We have had few wins over the past 2 years since the tail off in form after the League Cup semi-final. And performances like today & on Tuesday frustrate supporters so much.

Every team now knows about Eliasson. It’s been broadcast nationally. Plus if as the opposition you play 2 up front who are willing to chase and pressurise the centre backs, we have no answering we are unable to play out from the back. We are also pedestrian in our much of build up and play too much in our own half. 

LJ’s comments after the game have it right. We conceded a very early soft goal then played well for 30 minutes but didn’t take our chances. After that we did little, missed another fantastic chance, and then  gave away another soft goal after being overrun in midfield.

The big question is whether LJ knows how to turn it around or whether we are about to go into one of his long slumps in form. When we are in form we look good, but at the moment we are inconsistent at best, and well set-up, physical teams that are prepared for our style can outplay us. If we lose the next 2 away, we will be firmly mid table, which would seem about right after the last month or so.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

I'm not disagreeing with you and I believe the strategy is both right and responsible. The long term health of the club should be any owner's first priority imo.

I have said in another post that having to replace players every year means you have to start again in moulding a team, however good the replacements are. That takes time, more so if 3 of them are out injured for long periods.

The signs are also that LJ wanted to sign Kalas and a replacement for Webster, which didn't happen.

Nevertheless, I find it hard to see what LJ's plan is for home games. He point blank refuses to accept there is a problem, which is the most worrying thing for me.

It seems to me that he is almost frightened to send the team out on the front foot. 

Away from home the onus is on the home team to take the initiative, and LJ's tactics have been proven successful, in that he can set up to be more cautious  and attack on the break, when we get more room than we tend to do at home.

Conversely, by showing the opposition as much "respect" as we seem to do all too often at Ashton Gate, we seem to concede the initiative and it's often only a backs to the wall second half recovery that sees us save games or snatch a win. At east last season he could rely on our defensive strength, whereby we rarely conceded late in games, so that keeping games tight gave us a chance of winning. By comparison, this year we are leaky defensively so conceding early not only makes it an uphill struggle, but we are even more prone to conceding further goals while chasing a gaol ourselves - as happened today and against Millwall.

My suggestion foursome tactics would be to get more pace into our attacking play. As I mentioned previously, our attacks seem to build so slowly that it gives the opposition plenty of time to get players back behind the ball and close down our space. 

3 hours ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

Pathetic post, too many city fans willing to bend over and accept mediocrity from a rank middle manager. Attitude like this will continue to serve up the complete bollox we've been dished up at home for the last two years. 

If you can't see it you know the square root of **** all

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. Bristol Sport are taking us as mugs!!! 

3 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Hang on, Blackburn made 6 changes from Wednesday. Tinkering isn't always a bad thing.

Blackburn did their homework watched the video of the Millwall game and switched to a wingback system so we were outnumbered in midfield, we've done that to other teams we should have changed to match them at half time, they brought in new fresh players for maximum effort and it worked

3 hours ago, GTFABM said:

Not about being a ‘fan boy’ it’s about trying to stay a little bit positive. When 30% of the crowd leave at 2-0 after 70mins....! When we have 2 poor performances on the bounce people forget the 2 previous games where we beat promotion favourites away from home and huddersfield 5-2. People need to calm down and not go mad either way. The Championship is notoriously a crazy crazy league where anyone can beat anyone

Mate, your positivity is admiral and I salute you for staying upbeat, but a lot of people on here really do need to wake up and smell the coffee. 

Its clear we now have really good quality players to call upon, as our away form this season and last suggests, but our home form these last two seasons has been woeful to say the least.

Average and above sides in this league have had us worked out at home for a long time now. All this points to tactical/coaching ineptitude on the part of the coaching staff. I can guarantee you they are aware and trying to find a formula, but questions need to asked after a season and a half whether they have the ability to solve this.

It's a strange feeling I'll have to admit, Ive held a season ticket almost every year since 84, sitting through some truly atrocious dirge, but it was always tempered with drawing conclusions that most players we've had were bang average for the leagues played in. We now have some truly exceptional talent to call upon as budgets have increased and that's why people I believe are getting so frustrated with the quality of football on display, as they can see the ability is there.

The only thing keeping me on LJ's and staff's side at the mo is the injury to Afobe. Their hands are tied in attaining the playing style they wish to develop, but if that doesn't change in Jan/Feb after some players come in, i think it's perfectly justified for people to start asking questions about the management's ability to deliver.

5 hours ago, Bristolboy_06 said:

How fickle are the majority of you lot? Does my ******* head in all this ‘Johnson’ out bollocks. Since when have we been a top 10 championship side? 10 years ago... look at the budgets of the teams around us. Get a grip **** me

Some of us knew it was the appointment of mediocrity tied in with the strings of direction from the start. 

There's not one other 2nd division club that would've employed Mr Johnson 

13 hours ago, GTFABM said:

How have Leeds done it?

14 hours ago, Bristolboy_06 said:

How fickle are the majority of you lot? Does my ******* head in all this ‘Johnson’ out bollocks. Since when have we been a top 10 championship side? 10 years ago... look at the budgets of the teams around us. Get a grip **** me

Preston, Brentford, Millwall & Blackburn are all "around us" [within 3 points] and I would argue that we have a bigger budget than them.

Archived